• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpistolero02
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2017

120 Berger OCW

I wanted to test out some Berger 120's based on how well the McCourt ammo that came with my LaRue was shooting. I think this bullet and powder combo is showing promise. What do you guys think? I didn't have time to break out the chronograph, so I can't give you any velocities. All rounds were fired at 100 yards and the dots are .75'' in diameter. I was thinking of rolling with the 28.2 load. I should also go back and test a little bit lower than 27.3 as well.

CCI 450
    XBR 8208
    Lapua Brass
    2.26" COAL

• Wafavre2
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

Nice groups! What is your barrel length? 120's@ 28.3 of 8208 in my 20" Bartlein PF at 2550 fps for the best grouping. I would shoot 28.5 over as 2 touching and the off one may have been the shooter.

Comment

• jpistolero02
      Unwashed
      • Aug 2017

It certainly could have been me as I am not very good with the auto loaders. The barrel is 18".

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

Really depends on your velocity variance and what what you intend to use it for. A load that shoots under 1/2 MOA doesn't mean much if the velocity isn't consistent (unless you don't plan to shoot over 100 yards). Looks like you should find a winner, though! I'd drop down to 0.1 gr increments from 28.2 to 28.5. And if you don't plan on taking it beyond medium/long range, the area around 27.3 might be the place to be. Nothing wrong with a mild load that is kind to barrel and brass life. I've found adequate velocity (mid 2400s) and good accuracy in that area with my 18.

Your 28.5 results are why I now do 5 shot groups during load development. Was the lower one a flyer, or was it luck that 2 are touching? You won't know until you head back to the bench and then back to the range. 5 shots give a lot more information.
        Last edited by StoneHendge; 10-09-2017, 01:46 PM.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

Wow they are all good groups!!

I know it's probably slow, but that 27.3gr group is very nice.

I'm of the same mindset as Stonehenge. I try to find an accuracy node with acceptable velocity at a pressure level that will let my brass and components have a long life.

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

I agree with Stonehenge on both counts, milder loads and higher round groups, at least to decide what is best.

Comment

• jpistolero02
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2017

Ran another test today. I only fired four shots with each charge because I am cheap and only wanted to see if things were somewhat consistent. The best numbers came with the 37.1 charge, but I feel like the speed is not there. The four shots averaged 2322, but had a SD of 3. The 28.2 charge had decent numbers with an average of 2437 and SD of 12. I guess I could tinker with seating depths, but I think I am just going to load 28.2 and work on my shooting.

Comment

• 1911man
                Warrior
                • May 2015

Originally posted by jpistolero02 View Post
                Ran another test today. I only fired four shots with each charge because I am cheap and only wanted to see if things were somewhat consistent. The best numbers came with the 37.1 charge, but I feel like the speed is not there. The four shots averaged 2322, but had a SD of 3. The 28.2 charge had decent numbers with an average of 2437 and SD of 12. I guess I could tinker with seating depths, but I think I am just going to load 28.2 and work on my shooting.

An SD of 12 and that Velocity will get the job done at distance for sure. What doe sthat 28.2 group measure center to center? Your shooting a Larue Grendel? Very Impressive.

Comment

• jpistolero02
                  Unwashed
                  • Aug 2017

Yes, the rifle is a complete LaRue. If my measurements are correct the 28.2 group was around .443".

Comment

• Cornbread
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2015

If you are looking for a long range target load I would shoot some ladders at 300 and see which has the least vertical spread. Typically these loads will have lower es and sd. Vertical spread is a killer at long range. If you are shooting bench rest at closer range the smaller groups are better. But a low es load that has less vertical at longer range is better at distance.

Comment

• jpistolero02
                      Unwashed
                      • Aug 2017

Thanks Cornbread. I will give the ladder a try as well.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

Impressive groups. I have to get some XBR8208.

Comment

• K280
                          Bloodstained
                          • Sep 2014

I am at 28.2 with the 123 Amax in my Grendel. 28.2 and 28.3 shot the same velocity but 28.2 had a better sd.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

For some reason, we've seen 28.3gr of 8208XBR under a 123gr as a really common accurate load for a lot of people over the years.

28.2gr under a 120gr makes sense.

I'd produce that bad boy and just go enjoy shooting plates at 600yds +. Wouldn't mess around with development much anymore.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                            X