• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Firegypsy
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2017

New Member from Arkansas

Hello all. I am looking to convert my 5.56 over to a Grendel in the next couple of months. I do not have much experience with the AR platform so I am hoping for a bit of guidance selecting components. Recently I have been looking at the Odin works and Core 20 in barrel conversion "kits". My AR is a Diamondback DB15ETG with a Leupold VXR Patrol 3-9x40. I want the finished product for hunting deer sized game in the 50-300 yard ranges. I would also like to change out the trigger as well so suggestions there would be helpful as well. I'm trying to keep my barrel swap budget at $500 give or take a bit and the trigger under $250.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Firegypsy! Odin barrels get very good reviews with good CS. Not many reviews on Core 6.5 Grendel barrels or uppers. I personally like two stage triggers and just recently got a Larue MBT 2S trigger which I really like. Larue regulary run sales on their triggers around holidays so I recommend signing up for email notifications or watch Facebook. I also have a couple of Geissele G2S triggers and my Brother has an enhanced ALS single stage trigger which is pretty decent.

I have several RRA National Match triggers but they are not as consistent as the Geissele or Larue but cheaper.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Welcome sir!!

I'm a confessed Odin fanboy, and the 20" barrels receive very good reviews and come with a 1 moa guarantee.

The Odin kit retails for $400 that comes with the barrel, complete BCG with proper. 136 bolt, tunable gas block a d gas tube. Everything you need to convert your rifle except a magazine, and Odin sells those too.

These kits are commonly found on sale as well if you look.

For a top tier trigger, the Geissele are hard to beat.

However many good triggers can be found in the $100-150 range. The Larue for $99 is a solid option, and Odin is now selling the 3 pound velocity drop in trigger for $150. I have the Velocity in my 30 Rem AR and was a very surprised by it. Very nice.
      Last edited by Kilco; 10-09-2017, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• Stacker
        Unwashed
        • Jul 2017

Welcome aboard. I kept my 223 and then built a Grendel....I'll tell you, the Grendel is a whole new ballgame, best decision I made. Did keep the 223 for less expensive shooting for our daughter but for me, the Grendel will be seeing a lot of range time. Best of luck with the build. As for the trigger, I run Timney 3lbs single stage in both my AR builds and really like it.

Comment

• Texas
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum firegypsy. There are a number of ways to accomplish your budget requirements depending on the barrel you want to use. You can change the barrel and bolt all the way to buying a complete upper. If you change just the barrel and bolt, you can buy almost any barrel you want. Right now good drop in triggers can be had for $85 up.

Comment

• just_john
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2012

Firegypsy - welcome to the Clan from the Great Nation of Texas. What part of Arkansas are you in? If economics permits, keep the 223 and build a seperate Grendel. The 223/5.56 is this generations .22 - can't beat the price for playin' and plinkin'. But beware. the Grendel ( and AR's / MSR's ) in general are contagious. Put one in a dark room for a few weeks and when you open the door, there are two of 'em. Go away for a few more weeks and there are four of 'em. Somehow, they seem to have a rabbit's mentality, procreate! And they do it effectively! Or is it something in the Hoppe's No9 that I feed 'em?

Comment

Working...
            X