.224 Valkyrie? Future competitor to the 6.5 Grendel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph5
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

I would get a 224AR before getting a Valkyrie. I wonder if Larue would chamber a barrel for it?

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
      Well, it's for real. Will I be lining up to get one? it didn't make me feel like I had to have one - which is odd for any AR. Lol

Instructor was/is working on prototype JP barrel and brought it to Blue Steel Ranch. 20" barrel with R+2" / 1:7 twist pushing factory 90 gr SMKs in the low 2600s. Shot a 5 shot group with it at the sight in range and it's pretty damn accurate- especially since was getting broken in. Stock was way too short for me so I strung the group vertically around an inch but it was around 1/2" horizontal. Hard to judge recoil since it had a full auto rated Thunderbeast on it and a PRS. Felt like a 223. My guess is that it will be like my 22 Nosler - a sharp 223 - without the hefty can.

Winds were 15+ mph when instructor had it at the KD range. Was really hard for me to see hits on the heavier plates and with the lighter splash with the wind. I did take it to 1k on the last day in the morning calm, but their 1k plate is really heavy and I didn't see any movement or splash but instructor saw trace go in. One of the students rifles went down early the second day (Jewell trigger on a 6.5 CM Surgeon). He ended up using the 224V for the better part of 2 days without knowing what it was! Wasn't hard to see/hear most hits out to 700 on a relatively calm day, but my Grendel was smacking them a lot harder last year pushing factory Amax around 2450. I guess one benefit is that we did a timed stage with 2 shots on each target. Lighter hits mean you don't have to wait for the plate to stop swinging for as long.

90 gr VLDs probably won't shoot well due to jump. Barrel life of around 8k is what Federal is thinking with factory ammo. Pressure is relatively low - powder charges are closer to 223 than Grendel. Was also noted that Federal has been working on hardening their case heads.
      This post means a lot more when you're familiar with the range down there-awesome facility really.

That's my biggest complaint with .223 pushing 77s as well. It's very hard to get a register on a plate, even when you center-punch it when there is typical wind for out here in the Western US.

It's not like Grendel hits a plate like a magnum, but you definitely hear it even at 1000yds most of the time, even from shorter barrels.

I personally get the most satisfaction from 7mm Magnums, .300 Win Mag, or .338 LM with high BC bullets on steel if you want to hear it get beat like John Bonham trying to destroy his kick drum heads.

That 28 Nosler or 7mm WSM on steel with a 180-195 Berger is a sound of pure joy, but you aren't sitting down and launching 100 of them in a day without gas-checking your throat into hell.

The .224 Valkyrie will be a great solution for these newer gas gun matches with ranges typically in the 300-700yd distances.

In the wind, 700 and 800yd plates are often hard to get solid RO-observed registers with 6mm 105s going fast, so there is no free lunch.

Buddy of mine specifically made a 7mm WSSM wildcat for this reason for PRS shooting the 195gr Berger EOL. Makes the plates try to wrap around the hangar bar on impact.

ROs love it, but there is more recoil to disrupt sight picture.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
        Warrior
        • Nov 2015

I've definitely seen this 7mm wildcat in action. it did amazing work on a rifle spinner target at 200 yards

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

Well, JP is taking orders for anyone who wants to jump right in. Charging $40 more than a Grendel barrel lol.

Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

It's a tight bore with more case volume, so port pressure at RLGS pushing a long-for-caliber bullet will be higher if you leave it at RLGS.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• DRandi
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2013

Savage and Seekins Precision are onboard with it now too.

Midway has ammo listings. https://www.midwayusa.com/224-valkyrie/br?cid=23669

Federal American Eagle is close to Wolf 6.5 Steel case price, $11.50 a box. Federal Gold Metal Match with Sierra 90s is $25.00.

Looks like it will be a interesting year.
              A nice walk in the woods helps me relax and relieves tension....

The fact I'm dragging a shovel and a body should be irrelevant...

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

Too bad 22 Nosler brass sucks since the new 85 grain RDF should give the 224V with the 90 gr Sierras a run for its money:

22cal-85gr-RDF-bullet-info.jpg

There is factory ammo but no ballistics yet

Nosler Match Grade Ammunition combines Nosler’s precisely-designed Custom Competition and RDF bullets along with Nosler Brass. Match Grade-RDF ammunition brings all of the ballistic advantages of the RDF bullet line to loaded ammunition.

0.245 G7 vs 0.256 for the 90 gr SMK, but it looks like it was probably designed around the 22 Nosler and will take advantage of the larger case. Nosler load data has it going 2850 out of a 24" with CFE 223 and over 2900 with RL 17!

I still have my 22 Nosler barrel - someone else please please please please make brass!
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• 454bore
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2014

The new sierra 95grain match king will be good in the 224V.

Comment

• Wafavre2
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2017

+1, Without a doubt BFT. And there is the 160 gr Round Nose and the Solids when you can find them.

Comment

• Jmccracken
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

Seems ammo popped up quicker for the 224V than grendel, and at better prices.

Seeing the Fed. American eagle that cheap, makes me want to ditch the G for the V! I looked up brass prices.... also cheaper than grendel.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

• danm
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Jmccracken View Post
                        Seems ammo popped up quicker for the 224V than grendel, and at better prices.

Seeing the Fed. American eagle that cheap, makes me want to ditch the G for the V! I looked up brass prices.... also cheaper than grendel.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
                        Laters, don't let the door hit ya!

Comment

• Randy99CL
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2017

Really guys, it's so easy to get the wrong impression.

Look at the Midway prices.
                          That Federal AE is 75gr FMJ, who wants that? And it's still twice+ as much as Wolf 6.5: https://www.outdoorlimited.com/Produ...e=wpa65grenfmj

Sure, that AE is fairly cheap, but anything with better bullets costs as much or more than our 6.5G.
                          "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 2011

JM, you're right. That's really interesting. This just gives the lie to ammo pricing practices.

At this point the installed based of 224V users is much, much smaller than 65G users.

And I guarantee you there is no real difference in component prices for brass, bullets, and powder between the two.

But I just checked MidwayUSA for reference. You're right, they're selling 224V much cheaper. 224V is $11.29/20. 65G is $26.49/20. (Granted, FMJ vs. HPBT, but it's a cheap HPBT, so manufacturing cost not that different.)

Just goes to show that Federal is choosing to give a big boost to their baby, the cartridge that they invented.

Reminds me of the old record company and movie studio "hit-makers" and "star-makers." Harvey Weinstein would know what I mean.

I like the concept of the 224V. I have a soft spot in my heart for "fat-case, long-bullet" cartridges.

Still think it's gonna prove to be over-hyped.

I have my favorite cartridge, but I support you guys having as many cartridges as suits you. It's good to have guns. Lots of guns.
                            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• stanc
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
                              That Federal AE is 75gr FMJ, who wants that?

FMJ is my preferred bullet type, so if I were to go for .224 Valkyrie, that Federal AE load is undoubtedly what I'd buy.

But, I've never liked .22 caliber. I just wish they'd make a 6mm Valkyrie. That would be nearly my ideal AR cartridge.

Comment

• bj139
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2017

6x6.8? I just bought a BHW barrel in that chambering. Maybe 6mm Valkyrie improved?

Comment

Working...
                                X