• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandi
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2014

Another Scope Help Thread...

I bought into the recent Faxon 20" barrel group buy and am slowly trying to piece together a new rifle. Up until now I've been shooting an 18" .264LBC rifle with a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16X44 Dead Hold scope on it. Since I'm building this new rifle I decided to give my 18" .264LBC with that Vortex scope to my sister instead of selling it. I had originally intended on selling it to pay for the new build but, hey, I've got medical issues that keep me from working and I don't often get to give gifts that nice so I opted for the feel good of gift giving than getting money for it. That means it's going to take MUCH longer to get this rifle built and I'm not going to be able to go for a higher price optic like I had originally planned.

I want to go from the second focal plane Viper HS LR I gave away to a FFP scope this time around. I also want this new scope to be better suited to long distance shooting as well as hunting than the other one which means I want more magnification as long as I don't sacrifice glass quality. Right now I'm hoping I'll be able to sell some stuff and maybe come up with a budget of $900 or under but it's just going to depend on how life goes in the future. Let's assume that $900 and under is the budget, what is the best optic I can get for that assuming it's a FFP reticle, all MOA and, of course, a better choice than what I gave away (I really like the Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24X50 XLR MOA)? Whatever it is, I won't be ordering it anytime soon unfortunately so no need for answers right now.

Tall order I know but I'm far from a scope expert and I desperately need advice from you all who are the experts.
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Brandi View Post
    I bought into the recent Faxon 20" barrel group buy and am slowly trying to piece together a new rifle. Up until now I've been shooting an 18" .264LBC rifle with a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16X44 Dead Hold scope on it. Since I'm building this new rifle I decided to give my 18" .264LBC with that Vortex scope to my sister instead of selling it. I had originally intended on selling it to pay for the new build but, hey, I've got medical issues that keep me from working and I don't often get to give gifts that nice so I opted for the feel good of gift giving than getting money for it. That means it's going to take MUCH longer to get this rifle built and I'm not going to be able to go for a higher price optic like I had originally planned.

I want to go from the second focal plane Viper HS LR I gave away to a FFP scope this time around. I also want this new scope to be better suited to long distance shooting as well as hunting than the other one which means I want more magnification as long as I don't sacrifice glass quality. Right now I'm hoping I'll be able to sell some stuff and maybe come up with a budget of $900 or under but it's just going to depend on how life goes in the future. Let's assume that $900 and under is the budget, what is the best optic I can get for that assuming it's a FFP reticle, all MOA and, of course, a better choice than what I gave away (I really like the Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24X50 XLR MOA)? Whatever it is, I won't be ordering it anytime soon unfortunately so no need for answers right now.

Tall order I know but I'm far from a scope expert and I desperately need advice from you all who are the experts.
    Hey Brandi, I've seen your posts on the group buy thread, but just noticed that you're in Oklahoma too. Whereabouts?

I'm not the expert you're looking for, but I don't think you really need a FFP scope unless you're going to try to calculate range with your reticle's MOA marks. If you're starting with a known range, for instance with a laser range finder, then you can dial your scope to give the proper zero. I just had the experience today of zeroing my rifle (270 WSM in this case) with a SFP, BDC reticle. The BDC required the scope to be set on 14 power magnification, which resulted in some mirage. I probably want to replace that scope before long.

I've got a Vortex Viper PST on my Grendel (4-16 power, SFP, mil-rad) and was able to dial in on a pronghorn antelope at 330 yds last year and nailed it pretty much right where I wanted to.

Bottom line, I think you can get better glass for the money with SFP than you can with with FFP.

Comment

• lrgrendel
      Warrior
      • Jul 2013

What is the furthest distance you are going to shoot.?

And what is your budget?

Have you looked at Athlon? I don’t know anything about them... but somebody here might speak up.

Comment

• mdram
        Warrior
        • Sep 2016

sightron has some in that range, they get good reviews
        just some targets for printing
        https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• HowaGrendel
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2017

I recently bought a Athlos HELOS 6x24 FFP for $539.....so far it seems to be a good scope, I put it on a Ruger Predator 6mm Creedmoor...

Comment

• lrgrendel
            Warrior
            • Jul 2013

Recently bought a Vortex HST 6-24x50 SFP MOA/MOA

Everybit as good as a PST minus the illuminated reticle and the FFP

Should be able to find one for $500-$550.....

Comment

• davidj
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

If you are a veteran check out optics planet. They have a nice discount program.
              Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight. -The Havamal

Comment

• TKO
                Bloodstained
                • Feb 2017

Here you go:

Carries Vortex Lifetime Warranty
                Last edited by TKO; 11-05-2017, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X