• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fdbyrne78
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2017

123 SST COAL Issues

I have a Satern barrel that I bought directly from Satern. It's supposed to have a SAAMI chamber. I've read about other people having chambers too short to load the SSTs to what many other people consider normal lengths but it looks like I got and exceptionally short chamber. If I load the SSTs any longer than 2.215 I push the bullets into the lands. That means that even the factory loaded 123 SSTs are into the lands.

That's the shortest I've seen reported. Is that within the realm of normalcy or did they miscut the chamber? I trim the cases a little short and I still can't even see the canelure if I seat the bullets deep enough to keep them off of the lands.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

You talked about factory sst being to long and i had some problems at the range yesterday with my Alexander arms barrel with hornady sst. The bolt would not go into battery and it was super difficult to pull the round out with the charging handle. I'm guessing I'm having the same problems as you.

Comment

• fdbyrne78
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2017

I'm both comforted by you being in the same boat and sad for you at the same time.

I was really surprised to see how short the chamber was. I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't check before I shot it. The factory loads chambered and shot well enough for factory ammo. I didn't start to notice that anything was off until I started getting pressure signs with even a middle-of-the-road XBR charge.

To check whether it was in the lands, I used a sharpie on the bullet and dropped it into the chamber. Gravity didn't take it all the way down and I had to push it a few mm's to seat it all the way. It wouldn't fall, shake, or tap back out. I had to go in from the muzzle with a cleaning rod and push it free and there were marks from the lands on the bullet. After that I kept marking the bullet and adjusting the die deeper and deeper until the round would fall free with only gravity and a tap of the receiver. I had to go all the way down to 2.215" before that happened and I stopped seeing marks on the bullet from the lands.

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

FWIW, my new Larue Tactical 6.5G had no issues at all with several boxes of 123 SST's and several more boxes of the Hornady Blacks (123 ELD-M). I mention this mainly as a reality check, as the last time the Satern chambers were reported as being short, a few misinformed individuals laid the blame at the feet of the ammunition manufacturers.

OP - there are a couple of members who have finishing reamers in their possession. If you don't wish to send the barrel back to Satern for a touchup, it is entirely within the realm of possibility that one of those members with a reamer might offer the use of it to you.

Bigs28: Similar advice - AA has always been more than accommodating for those with issues such as yours (to include even those with non-AA barrels).

Good luck to you both.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Jakal
          Warrior
          • May 2014

Which bolt are you using. .125 or .136 bolt face depth?
          ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• 37L1
            Warrior
            • Jan 2015

I had the same experience with an earlier Satern produced Grendel barrel. Because of the way they handled that issue, they are on my "Never Buy Anything Made By Them Ever Again" list.

Comment

• fdbyrne78
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2017

Honestly, I haven't measured the bolt. It's the bolt that Satern sent me with the barrel.

Comment

• fdbyrne78
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2017

Originally posted by 37L1 View Post
                I had the same experience with an earlier Satern produced Grendel barrel. Because of the way they handled that issue, they are on my "Never Buy Anything Made By Them Ever Again" list.
                That's discouraging. I'd heard good things about their barrels.

Comment

• Jakal
                  Warrior
                  • May 2014

Yeah just checking, if the chamber is short and you are using a .125 but should be using a .136, this could cause land-jamming.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by fdbyrne78 View Post
                    That's discouraging. I'd heard good things about their barrels.
                    Their reputation for accurate barrels is fine. Their reputation for customer service and back up what they sell isn't. They do no wrong, won't admit lying when caught and will require you to pay for shipping a Satern defect back to them.

Satern and arp top my do not buy list.
                    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• fdbyrne78
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Jakal View Post
                      Yeah just checking, if the chamber is short and you are using a .125 but should be using a .136, this could cause land-jamming.
                      Since I'm in the lands even with the BCG out of the gun and manually placing rounds in the chamber I don't think that the bolt is the root cause.

Am I right in thinking that my throat is just unacceptably short? I've read a bunch of other threads and can't find anyone reporting having to load the SSTs nearly that short.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Jakal View Post
                        Not likely, Jakal. The use of the .125" would more likely prevent the bolt from going into battery - not force the bullet into the lands.
                        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Jakal
                          Warrior
                          • May 2014

If its jamming at 2.215 and mag length is 2.260, I doubt either bolt would lock up at mag length. I thought he was letting the bolt fly to load. It's just another item to check off the list, process of elimination!

My PF chamber is really long, I think this was done for the longer 140+ grain bullets running as a single shot. Liljas seem to be right on.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by fdbyrne78 View Post
                            Since I'm in the lands even with the BCG out of the gun and manually placing rounds in the chamber I don't think that the bolt is the root cause.

Am I right in thinking that my throat is just unacceptably short? I've read a bunch of other threads and can't find anyone reporting having to load the SSTs nearly that short.
                            Im on a new laptop and strugglin without a mouse. cant' copy paste but I will learn

Do a search for "scrape" you then should read any thread with a reference to liberty group buy or satern. There you will find what your problem is. You may not actually have a saami chamber. Satern is known for their short chambering among us that were here for the liberty group buy.
                            Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• pajasonc
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2016

Its a much to common issue thats for sure. It can be fixed rather easily at least. Contact saturn and tell them. My AA had a short chamber they sent me a packing label and I shipped it to them and had it back in 10 days. Just a uneducated opinion but I think the compound throat lets less room for error and thats why we see this issue keep coming up.

Comment

Working...
                              X