Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 123 SST COAL Issues

Bloodstained
    Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    I've finish-reamed at least 2 Cut-Rifled Satern barrels before that had shorter throats. Once they were finish-reamed, they were fine with factory COL on SSTs.

Before that, they required a cleaning rod to remove the cartridges.
    I've done some research on that. I'm comfortable taking it on myself, but I haven't found much information online.

Is it as simple as getting the right finish reamer, putting the barrel in a vise, using cutting fluid, and taking a little at a time until it's long enough? Is there any risk of accidentally cutting it at an angle and messing up the barrel or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by fdbyrne78 View Post
    I've done some research on that. I'm comfortable taking it on myself, but I haven't found much information online.

Is it as simple as getting the right finish reamer, putting the barrel in a vise, using cutting fluid, and taking a little at a time until it's long enough? Is there any risk of accidentally cutting it at an angle and messing up the barrel or anything?
    There isn't really a way to screw up the alignment because the chamber is already cut with their finish reamer.

Biggest mistake people make is backing the reamer out opposite of the cutting flute direction.

I just used oil and lightly cleaned the throat, with a Manson floating pilot reamer with cutting fluid channels in it.

I then polished the chamber with a large bore brush, polishing compound, patches, and a drill, pushing and pulling quickly with the drill, instead of just letting it spin radially.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Bloodstained
    Thank you.

This is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. Is it a problem that I only want to touch the throat and not the rest of the chamber? I don't want to end up with excessive head space in the process.

You would have to really grind down on it to move your headspace.

The reamer I have has a floating pilot that fits into the rifling.

If the chamber has a short throat, it will only cut the lead just a tad longer, without messing with anything else.

Some of the leades that were cast showed origin right at the mouth of the neck area, which is why bullets were jamming the lands.

It happens with incorrect reamers and worn reamers running ragged way past their last leg.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Bloodstained
    Thanks again.