Why I ordered a Howa, despite having a CZ 527.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • usmcm16a2
    Warrior
    • Aug 2015

Why I ordered a Howa, despite having a CZ 527.

Folks,

I enjoy my CZ 527, and will continue to. But some thoughts on CZ quality, and out of the box reliability. Now in my numerous posts on the CZ I have truly enjoyed the rifle, it has been fun but a number of issues have popped up. Mainly the stock. This is the Achilles heel of the rifle. The fitment of the stock is at best below average. I do not like to have to mess with a rifle, I want to shoot it, get good accuracy.
    CZ has a winner here, but needs to address the stock. Wandering zero, barrel touching the stock, when it is supposed to be free floating. Metal fitment on the rifle is average.
    With that said, I purchased a Howa in Highlander camo, 22 inch #2 contour barrel. Why? Because I know Howa has had more time to perfect their product. I can take it to the range, or out of the field. And know it will work. I know this might be a controversial perspective, but Howa has had more time to smooth out issues. CZ has a ways to go, the stock seems to be the big issue. The trigger is fantastic, the action is superb. But the stock, the stock A2
  • blltsmth
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2017

I have 2 of the Howas. One in 22 inch and the other in 20 inch, green camo stock, thin barrels. Besides the barrel heating up quickly, the zero doesn't wander on either rifle. Never had an issue with the stocks, either. About the only negative I have on the rifle is the magazine release. The 1st one I bobbed off with a Dremel tool, but the second one came shortened already. Price on a replacement mag is a little steep also, but other than that, these rifles shoot great with anything you load as long as it is in the upper velocity limits. Either rifle is happy with 27.5-27.8 grains of TAC behind a 117 or 123 grain bullet.

Comment

• Earl Keese
      Bloodstained
      • Apr 2017

CZ's problem with 527 stocks is nothing new.

Comment

• jkingrph
        Warrior
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Earl Keese View Post
        CZ's problem with 527 stocks is nothing new.

I rather enjoy finishing a stock to my liking. The one I got has rather nice grain, nothing spectacular, but it did come as if they whispered finish on it. Now with my slow, hand rubbed oil type finish it looks more like a $1000 rifle.

The Howa with a plastic stock and magazine just did not appeal to me.
        Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Comment

• usmcm16a2
          Warrior
          • Aug 2015

Earl,

I am not totally dissatisfied with the CZ, I have just a bit of clean-up left on the in letting. But the stock is not the best, as many have said. The Howa may have issues, but I have confidence in their product. I figure it will take about 4-6 days to ship. I bought it from Kentucky Gun Co, for $542. It is the 22 inch with the #2 contour barrel. It is the Highlander camo, it will take another 3-5 days to get to my FFL, then a 10 day wait. A2

Comment

• usmcm16a2
            Warrior
            • Aug 2015

jking,

Thats why I am keeping the CZ. Just have to do some clean-up inletting, maybe re-stain the barrel channel, and good to go. Japanese rifles are like Japanese cars, just dead-on reliable. A2

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

You won't be disappointed in the Howa.

To be totally honest, when I heared about the Howa initially I didn't bat an eye. Just a Jap made rifle.

My father was the first to get one with the 20" Heavy barrel, and boy o boy was I wrong.

The action feels and functions smoother than a R700. (I know I know most modern R700s are a far cry from what they us3d to be, but still has a special place to me). The things shoots under 1 moa with multiple projectiles and loads, and the aftermarket for it keeps growing and growing... needless to say, they are an awesome little rifle.

Still love my CZ 527 in 17 Hornet.. The stock, barrel, and action are things of beauty and it's always been very accurate... kind of baffles me to hear all these reports of crappy stock finishes and sought actions..

Comment

• Drift
                Warrior
                • Nov 2014

I love my CZ. But I see you point. And agree with it.

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

Does anyone have a good source for the HOWA mini action mags in 6.5 Grendel?

Comment

• jkingrph
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by usmcm16a2 View Post
                    jking,

Thats why I am keeping the CZ. Just have to do some clean-up inletting, maybe re-stain the barrel channel, and good to go. Japanese rifles are like Japanese cars, just dead-on reliable. A2

Understand! I have a few Japanese Winchester and Browning reproduction rifles and quality is outstanding, along with an older Win 101 and an Ithaca SKB shotgun.

The Howa just does nothing for me, too much like a toy with all the plastic. I like my traditional walnut and blued steel! I did not consider the CZ rustic. If that had been all they offered I would have passed.
                    Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Comment

• Waynejessie
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2017

I’ll trade you dead even for my HB Howa for your CZ. Box, papers, the whole ball of wax.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2016

I've been contemplating buying a Howa for Wiley solely because he digs the Yote camo job

image.jpeg
                        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• stilesg57
                          Unwashed
                          • Sep 2017

I'm in the same boat as you with the CZ 527 in Grendel. Not angry per se, just really disappointed. Like the way your parents said that to you after they caught you smoking in middle school.

I'm not going to go with a Howa because that's not the look or feature set I was looking for with this rifle (like jkingprh, I wanted "traditional walnut and blued steel" with a Mauser claw), but I totally get why you would. The Japanese rifles i've handled have all been exceptionally nice -- that country really has high-end manufacturing figured out for all my vice hobbies: guns, cars and guitars

Report back and let us know what you think of the Howa after you get some quality time with it!

Comment

• AQBill
                            Unwashed
                            • Sep 2017

usmcm16a2 & several others, it seems that our minds are working in the same astral plane at the moment as I, too, today have ordered a Howa Mini-Action - of the 20-inch heavy barrel variety - to shoot along side my new CZ 527. Let the best rifle win, which, of course, necessitates developing loads for both and optimizing the rifles. As I am retired, I will approach this long-term commitment with gusto and will look forward to watching for your new texts!

Cheers,
                            AQBill

Comment

• usmcm16a2
                              Warrior
                              • Aug 2015

AQ,

I could agree more. It like having a pretty European car. You take it out once in a while, it looks good, works reasonably well. But for reliability, sweet dead ass reliability you hop in your Subaru, Toyota, Honda. If an American Company made a single bolt action in our beloved 6.5 Grendel they would be included in the discussion. A2

Comment

Working...
                              X