• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mindreader1
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2016

Anyone load with Dillon 650 XL?

Just trying to see what all the accessories I'll need to reload in grendel. Mine is currently set up for 45 ACP and I have a large pistol case feeder.
  • DDRanch
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

I do on my 550, that is with prepped brass. Not sure if Dillon has a conversion kit for 6.5 Grendel for the 650.

Comment

• Mindreader1
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2016

This one?

Gunstop is a premier dealer of reloading supplies and ammunition. Established in 1991, we pride ourselves on providing unbeatable value and client satisfaction.

Originally posted by DDRanch View Post
      I do on my 550, that is with prepped brass. Not sure if Dillon has a conversion kit for 6.5 Grendel for the 650.

Comment

• Joseph5
        Warrior
        • Oct 2012

I have a 650 but it has been sitting in the box, new and so far unused for 3 years. Dillon makes kits for the Grendel and it should work great. Whenever I have room to set it up I plan on cranking out the Grendel on it.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

You will need the 6.5 G Caliber conversion (Think it's unique), the large pistol plate for the feeder (What luck, you load .45!), two spacer washers (look at the clutch assembly on the LP plate, un-screw the two allen bolts, take the washer to the HW store, and aquire two similar washers. Take home and re-assemble with all three washers. Done - new Grendel case feeder plate - V'Walla), and a small priming set. Dillon sent me two spacer washers for free with some other misc ordered parts when I called to ask how to feed the 6.5 G cases, the SR plate was a finicky one, kept dropping them face first instead of rear to the gear, the LR plate was a def no go... Dillon re-fills my cool-aid yet again.

So far, (X200) Standard plinkers - 120 SMKs, BLC-2, REM7.5s, I am really impressed. The powder drop seems to be the only hiccup for variation, as the drop weights vary about .15gr+-. The LEE dies I've got are obviously next, with a set of Redding neck bushing dies on order. The LEE are passable though. I have an old RCBS powder measure, and now a Redding trickler, so I will be doing everything on the Dillon but charging for my future precision work and learning curve, which I will just funnel through by hand at station two.

Hope this is what you were looking for. I am newer to reloading than 90% of the reloaders here, and someone else can probably explain the ins and outs much better, but as far as what you actually need to reload on the Dillon 650, this should about cover it.
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• DDRanch
            Warrior
            • Jul 2017

I may have to get the case feed components for my 650 from Dillon. I all ready have the 550 Grendel conversion. Ks, are you using pre-prepping your brass?

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

I am tumbling, sizing/decapping, case gauging, checking headspace and case length, (so far all are well within saami spec - no need to do much in the way of case prep work). I will start trimming when necessary, and will be paying more attention as I get more reloads on the brass. So far, the AA/Lapua stuff is much more tactile/stiff in the sizing and the seating dies than the Hornady is.

The only Grendel reloads I've gotten through so far are the 200 120gr SMK loads I am going to finish polishing my Larue's bore with. I was less interested in accuracy as I was in volume because I want to get the initial polish into the barrel before I worry about just how fine I can group. I know the rifle is going to out shoot me with my current skill set and equipment, so all I can attest to is the benefits of the progressive in making blaster ammo.

So far all my reloads are the first re-load on this brass. I am keeping my 2x brass separate and will note the growth each firing to see what is needed, but that will come later. I still have about 900 Hornady, 220 Fed, and 190 Lapua once fired empties to work with. I am contemplating lessening that load by trading off the federal brass I have on hand in favor of some projectiles.

The one drawback I see so far is that 90% of my brass is from other rifle chambers. I will need to pay special attention to the brass after it has been fired from my chamber, and in subsequent reloading sessions involving my newly created empties. I am interested to watch especially the growth from the first trimming to the next two to three firings and see just how many rounds I can get from my brass. This I believe is where the Redding neck bushing die will shine.
              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• HowaGrendel
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Joseph5 View Post
                I have a 650 but it has been sitting in the box, new and so far unused for 3 years. Dillon makes kits for the Grendel and it should work great. Whenever I have room to set it up I plan on cranking out the Grendel on it.
                WOW.....3 years and not setup ? How do you do that ? you must have patience like a rock.......I would do away with the couch or get a smaller bed....lol

Comment

• Joseph5
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2012

We have been trying to sell the house we moved out of since June 2014 so we can buy one where we moved to. The house we are renting is tiny and between no room and most of our stuff being in storage I have just been waiting, and waiting, and waiting some more for the day to come when I can set up my reloading/firearms maintenance area.

Comment

• Mindreader1
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2016

Very informative! I'm a newbie so definitely appreciate all the help I can get. Have heard though that I need to resize before I trim the cases - so should I get a separate tool head for just the resizer die and then use a different toolhead to hold the rest of the dies? So essentially breaking the reloading into two steps. I have the Lee set - does the re-priming happen in the seating die?
                    Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                    You will need the 6.5 G Caliber conversion (Think it's unique), the large pistol plate for the feeder (What luck, you load .45!), two spacer washers (look at the clutch assembly on the LP plate, un-screw the two allen bolts, take the washer to the HW store, and aquire two similar washers. Take home and re-assemble with all three washers. Done - new Grendel case feeder plate - V'Walla), and a small priming set. Dillon sent me two spacer washers for free with some other misc ordered parts when I called to ask how to feed the 6.5 G cases, the SR plate was a finicky one, kept dropping them face first instead of rear to the gear, the LR plate was a def no go... Dillon re-fills my cool-aid yet again.

So far, (X200) Standard plinkers - 120 SMKs, BLC-2, REM7.5s, I am really impressed. The powder drop seems to be the only hiccup for variation, as the drop weights vary about .15gr+-. The LEE dies I've got are obviously next, with a set of Redding neck bushing dies on order. The LEE are passable though. I have an old RCBS powder measure, and now a Redding trickler, so I will be doing everything on the Dillon but charging for my future precision work and learning curve, which I will just funnel through by hand at station two.

Hope this is what you were looking for. I am newer to reloading than 90% of the reloaders here, and someone else can probably explain the ins and outs much better, but as far as what you actually need to reload on the Dillon 650, this should about cover it.

Comment

Working...
                    X