Why is 6.8 SPC still a thing when 6.5 Grendel is more and more popular?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahillock
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

Why is 6.8 SPC still a thing when 6.5 Grendel is more and more popular?

Why are gun makers still putting effort into 6.8 SPC when it seems like it is a dead man walking? 6.5 Grendel is better in every aspect and is only growing in popularity. 6.8 SPC is a dead cartridge and I don't see why gun makers are still putting effort into it since it is a dead end instead of just jumping on the 6.5 Grendel train.
  • Texas
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2016

There are still die hard 6.8 fans because that is what they started with, and so that is the best, sorta like WORDSTAR and WORD in the computer industry.

Also, some people have a hard time admitting something is better or they are wrong.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Hmmm touchy subject... even as a huge Grendel fanboy... "better" is very subjective to the users purpose.

Nothing wrong with the 6.8. For most shooters application, targets, water bottles and best of all, medium game/varmints the 6.5 and 6.8 comparison is moot. Out to Both cartridges effective killing range both have about the same energy, same killing power, and similar terminal ballistics.

It's really a pick your flavor kind of thing. People could say "why 243 when 260 is available" or "why 270 when 30-06 is available".... pick whatever tickles your pickle, and be careful not to pick on other people's flavors.. we are all 2A bretheren!
      Last edited by Kilco; 10-15-2017, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
        Hmmm touchy subject... even as a huge Grendel fanboy... "better" is very subjective to the users purpose.

Nothing wrong with the 6.8. For most shooters application, targets, water bottles and best of all, medium game/varmints the 6.5 and 6.8 comparison is moot. Out to Both cartridges effective killing range both have about the same energy, same killing power, and similar terminal ballistics.

It's really a pick your flavor kind of thing. People could say "why 243 when 260 is available" or "why 270 when 30-06 is available".... pick whatever tickles your pickle, and be careful not to pick on other people's flavors.. we are all 2A bretheren!
        Exactly!

I do not own a 6.8, either.

I figure if the 6.8 was a lousy cartridge, no one would be shooting it anymore and it would disappear.

One thing I can't figure out is why anyone would care what cartridge someone else happens to like. It is not like Grendel components and uppers are not being produced in order to produce 6.8 components and uppers.

So it goes.

LR55

Comment

• Lightning8
          Warrior
          • Jun 2015

For a time, it seemed easier to get factory brass cased ammo for the 6.8 - there were always deals on the S&B ammo. 6.8 built up a following as a hunting cartridge while 6.5G was seen as a target cartridge. If I was starting today I would just get the 6.5G but I have a nice 14.5 6.8 upper with a pinned AAC flash-hider that make a great suppressed hunter and a nice 20 inch 6.5 Grendel for long range work and long range hunting. Lots more factory ammo for 6.5G recently - thanks to Hornady for their "Black" line for 6.5G.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Ditcher
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

I use to think the 6.8 was the best thing out there in the ar15 long ago. Then I started reading more and more about the 6.5G and was saying 6.8 who?
              I noticed a lot people not to familiar with the 6.5G think it sounds out of anything less then 20" barrel which we know here is not true. Better in short barrel then the other 4 popular calibers.
              Now I don't have my 6.5G build yet but I was reading people having issues with magazine with the 6.5G. Read this over on ARfcom. Can anyone here comfirm this?
              I heard people having good results with the E-Landers.
              Edit to add the cost of ammo might be holding back some people. I know the steel case ammo is the same price as the x39 but I know alot of people don't like shooting steel case ammo.
              Last edited by Ditcher; 10-16-2017, 12:51 AM.

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Ditcher View Post
                Now I don't have my 6.5G build yet but I was reading people having issues with magazine with the 6.5G. Read this over on ARfcom. Can anyone here comfirm this?
                I heard people having good results with the E-Landers.
                1300 rounds downrange using CPD and e-lander mags and I haven't had a single mag related issue...

No issues at all actually..
                Last edited by Kilco; 10-16-2017, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• Ditcher
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2017

That's good to hear.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Comment

• Djgrendel
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2016

After much research, I picked the grendel. It fit my requirements just a little better. I cast no shade on the 6.8. It is another option for us to use. Anybody using either choice will not be be wrong. I think the shooting community is very lucky to have so many options. Pick your tool, and use it to the best ability!
                      Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• Sticks
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2016

The absolute best group that I have been able to get with Wolf is 1.3 MOA, and that followed a bughole 5 shot group of ELD (.31MOA). One of those rare occasions I was on my game. Wolf is usually 2+ MOA, which is unacceptable to me.

Now, if they actually get a bullet that is .264, not .2615 in future production, I'll try it again. Debating on selling off what I have, or continue with my Moscow Match trials if I can get my hands on some stupid cheap 120gr bullets.

6.8 - I have yet to see anyone shooting one, but I don't get out much. Since the Military briefly had it under consideration, and Federal backed it, it's a sure bet that it is not going away.
                        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Lastrites
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

Tale from the far side of the sixeight, had one back in the day. Waited till the ice melted on the promised cheap practice ammo which has ended up being just a teaser lie and if you think Grendels are mag finicky I suggest you spend some time with this caliber as they can be every bit as fickle and the ones that do run are about $35/$45 a pop. Chamber issues, well it likely has as many different chambers floating around as the 6.5 pending on where you source the barrel.

Both do a similar jobs, one just seems to have the leg's of a runway model and the other of an Umpa.

Comment

• LR1955
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                            The absolute best group that I have been able to get with Wolf is 1.3 MOA, and that followed a bughole 5 shot group of ELD (.31MOA). One of those rare occasions I was on my game. Wolf is usually 2+ MOA, which is unacceptable to me.

Now, if they actually get a bullet that is .264, not .2615 in future production, I'll try it again. Debating on selling off what I have, or continue with my Moscow Match trials if I can get my hands on some stupid cheap 120gr bullets.

6.8 - I have yet to see anyone shooting one, but I don't get out much. Since the Military briefly had it under consideration, and Federal backed it, it's a sure bet that it is not going away.
                            Sticks:

Absolutely correct. A person can spend $.22 to make noise or they can buy or handload something with a bullet that is really .264 and see that it shoots so much better. Or do what you did and pull / push using a bullet that cost another $.25 or so. The cheapo Wolf ammo can shoot if someone is willing to spend twice as much as it cost for a new bullet plus what ever their time is worth.

And if some of you guys haven't seen what Sticks did you can search for 'Moscow Match' and see for yourselves.

LR55

Comment

• JASmith
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ahillock View Post
                              Why are gun makers still putting effort into 6.8 SPC when it seems like it is a dead man walking? 6.5 Grendel is better in every aspect and is only growing in popularity. 6.8 SPC is a dead cartridge and I don't see why gun makers are still putting effort into it since it is a dead end instead of just jumping on the 6.5 Grendel train.
                              At some point, we see a phenomena much like why the venerable 30-30 and 45-70 should be dead man walking too.

Of course, the huge nostalgia factor is there but, for many, it is the skinny blonde versus buxom brunette decision.

Further, the name recognition factor is alive and well. For example, one of the most popular paintings is the one of Mona Lisa even though it is not particularly good art. She got notoriety when misplaced. Her return brought folks flocking to see her. The 'name recognition brought more and so the cycle continues.

Bottom line, we like it because we like it.

Both the Grendel and the SPC communities will both flourish for a long time and we Grendeliers can treasure the knowledge that our cartridge does well enough for most tasks and does better than others for many tasks.
                              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

Working...
                              X