• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • splashy
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2017

Hello from Queensland, Australia

Hi All
    Just a quick hello....just away he paperwork and I will be picking up my first 65Gr. A Howa mini action in the mid-weight barrel.
    Very much looking forward to it, and hoping to share some info as it gets set up and load developed.
    Thanks to all who have contributed to this forum. I have been lurking for a little while, and now that this calibre has become available in Australia in a commercial rifle I have jumped right in.
    Cheers
  • lrgrendel
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

Welcome!

Lived in Perth for a year a while back... beautiful country and people...

Also own a Howa heavy 20” 6.5 grendel, it shoots the 123 SMK and 130 Berger Hybrid over CFE with FED 205M primers very well.

You will enjoy yours too I’m sure....

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Welcome to the forum!!

Those Howa minis are really sweet shooters. You will be very happy with yours in sure.

Maybe you are close enough to the "Mark and Sam after work" folk and you can try the Howa at some ELR. Those two really push the boundaries of what a rifle is capable of in a very controlled fashion.

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

splashy - welcome to the Clan from the Great Nation of Texas. You will find the Howa a real delight to shoot. Many of us have replaced the stock with a Boyd's ( various ) and it really enhances the shootability of it. Keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Splashy!

Comment

• Texas
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum spashy. Plan on suppressing the rifle?

Comment

• splashy
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Texas View Post
              Welcome to the forum spashy. Plan on suppressing the rifle?
              LOL - that would be nice. But in Australia, a suppressor is illegal.....

I'll be using it for competitions in the Military Rifle Club - so rapids and snaps mainly in the 100m and 200m range, but also out to 600m to 1000m. Also plan to use this hunting - largest critters would be red deer.

Plan to develop up handloads, probably using 8208 and 123gr projectiles (Nosler Custom Comps, A-Max and SSTs all have the same BC and I already have them on hand for my 260Rem). Not sure what glass to put on it, but could end up with a Leupold VX-2 4-12x40 with front focus and I'll get a CDS made up from my handload - that should be a good all-rounder...

I think I have a while to wait as the local Weapons Licencing bureaucracy is five weeks behind in completing the paper work for firearm renewals. My licence expired two weeks ago, so I have three weeks until that is done, and then probably another week or two until the paper for pick up the Grendel comes through.... In the meantime, my licence remains valid for another 42 days, as long as I have my receipt for the renewal payment on me. Which is fine - except for getting powder to reload, as it comes under different legislation by a different department (ya still with me?). So I can't reload, but I can get access to the local range and purchase factory ammo.... ahhhh - patience is a virtue, but I don't remember anyone saying I am virtuous...

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

welcome in Splashy- You truly are across the Pond from USA, von gruff always reminds me of distances apart- New Zealand- yet, he made me a fine knife that made it to my doorstep.

Good to hear that you get the powder choices there. Are they on the shelves? Or floated in, as per ordered?
                Last edited by sneaky one; 10-21-2017, 12:14 AM.

Comment

• splashy
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                  welcome in Splashy- You truly are across the Pond from USA, von gruff always reminds me of distances apart- New Zealand- yet, he made me a fine knife that made it to my doorstep.

Good to hear that you get the powder choices there. Are they on the shelves? Or floated in, as per ordered?
                  A lot of the powders are actually manufactured in Australia by Australian Defence Industries (ADI). So if you are shooting any powder with numbers like 8208, 2206H, 2208 etc, likely they are manufactured by ADI, but sold in the US under different brands. So 8208 is on the shelf here....

But we are at the end of the supply chain for everything else, and also a very small market when it comes to shooting supplies. I know that it took 3 years to get the latest shipment of Reloader powder into the country, and think there was over year with no Winchester powder as well. US-made projectiles can also be problematic, so we try to the stick with the better known brands that have good supply to Australia - otherwise you can spend a heap of time and $$$ working up a pet load.....and then supply for a components runs out....

That's why I was VERY happy to see a bolt chambered in 65Gr arrive here, and managed to get one before they all sold out. I also bought the only 200 pieces of brass in the city (Brisbane, Australia's 3rd largest city!), and ordered dies and a warne pict rail from Brownells and had them shipped out. So at least now I can feed the beast when I can get it.

Thanks for the welcome - I'll keeping lurking and learning. :-)

Comment

• GaCop
                    Bloodstained
                    • Apr 2017

Welcome to the forums!

Comment

Working...
                    X