• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LarryB
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2017

Howdy, from East Tennessee.

Hey guys. Thanks for accepting me into the horde. I'm on my first ever AR build. Going with a Spikes Tactical lower (Punisher logo) as well as their enhanced lpk. I'm thinking about the Bear Creek Arsenal complete 6.5 upper, due to it being budget friendly, but can't decide on whether to go with the 18 or 20 inch. Stock and optics/mounts are still up in the air as well. I'm building it for deer hunting and am on a budget so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • just_john
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2012

LerryB - Welcome to the Clan from the Great Nation of Texas.
    If your hunting style is walking / stalking then the 18" would be a better choice - if y'all hunt from treee / ground blinds then the extra weight and length of the 20" is not a hindrence. Or get both for both kinds of hunting. You probably will eventually, anyway ( Grendels get lonely for more of their own kind and propogate fairly rapidly ).

Comment

• LarryB
      Unwashed
      • Oct 2017

I was thinking both as well. Will probably go with the 18" for now.

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

Enjoy and share the stories!

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum LarryB! Not a significant difference in velocity between 18” and 20” to matter at typical deer hunting range. Usually less than 50 FPS difference between 20” and 18”. Bear Creek has several different barrel options, Stainless Steel, Chrome Moly Steel and Nitride Chrome Moly. Some barrels are fluted to reduce weight which might be of an advantage on a hunting rifle.

There are many new manufactures of the 6.5 Grendel barrels/products and several different vendors selling BCA under house brand. Just be sure to do your research before you buy.

Comment

• LarryB
            Unwashed
            • Oct 2017

Absolutely!

Comment

• LarryB
              Unwashed
              • Oct 2017

I'm leaning towards the 18" nitride with flutes. I think the research is one of the most fun parts lol. The upper I'm going directly through BCA just in case there's any issues. The lower and lpk I went with budsgunshop.

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Bear creek just released stainless 5R Grendel barrels as well... looking foward to a review one them.

Btw welcome to the Horde!!! I love TN. Smokey mountains are my favorite place in the world.

Comment

• LarryB
                  Unwashed
                  • Oct 2017

Maybe on the next build.

Thanks man. I love it here too. As peaceful as it is beautiful. Can't beat it.

Comment

• Texas
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum LarryB. The difference between the 18 and 20 inch translates to about 40-100 fps, depending on the power and bullet.

Comment

• LarryB
                      Unwashed
                      • Oct 2017

Thank you Texas. With an 18", what so you think is my most effective ranges?

Comment

• wheelguner
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2011

Larry,
                        You found the best place for everything Grendel. I think you will find the Horde to be a friendly and helpful crew. I am originally from Elizabethton in East Tenn. Settled in GA after my time in the Corps.

Comment

• LarryB
                          Unwashed
                          • Oct 2017

It's a small world isn't wheelgunner. I've passed through Elizabethton many times. I'm really enjoying the forum. So much helpful information about the caliber I'm most interested in. I'm new to the AR world and its been an exciting journey so far. I recently signed up at ar15.com as well. Seems like a great site as well but a little harder to navigate.

Comment

Working...
                          X