• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Larue Ultimate Upper Progress Report

Well, I finally got some time away from the part of my life which pays the bills and finances my toys.

About a month ago, I assembled one of Mark Larue's 6.5 Grendel Ultimate Upper kits (just add lower receiver).

Without optic, this rifle came in just under 7.8 lbs., with an Aero Precision lower receiver.

First few shots, taken back in September, showed mixed results and a lukewarm appetite for 123 SSTs.

The rifle sat until last weekend, when I got the chance to run some of the new Hornady Black ammunition through it.

In short, this ammunition seems to suit the Larue quite well. Shown below are shots 46 through 60 of this barrel's young life. Mind you, these are real world, three shot groups, without cherry picking.

One thing I do need to do, though, is either add a cheek piece or change the butt-stock. With the current setup, I have to turkey neck the scope to get the reticle centered, causing a bit of movement in the scope.

As far as the Hornady Black is concerned, it looks to be a success, overall. My BHW 264 LBC definitely likes it, as seen below.

One last note, regarding the new polymer tips of these 123 ELD-M's: Upon ejecting a chambered round, I saw what I initially mistook for one of my Sierra 85 HP Varmint rounds. That is until I realized I had brought none to the range for this particular outing and also noticed the deep red center.

When I dropped the magazine, a small piece of red plastic fell on the table, providing the final clue.

The tip had broken off, and fallen inside the magazine. I don't know if it broke when I was loading the rounds, when chambering the round or when cycling the action. Alarmed, I spot checked several times throughout the remainder of the session, dropping the mag and ejecting the odd chambered round. No repeat or signs of damage to the tips.

All I can say is that I've never before seen this from any of the thousand+ Amax or SST rounds I've shot in this and other calibers. It makes me wonder if the new formulation is also a bit more brittle than the one previously used on the Amax / SST / Vmax.
    Last edited by NugginFutz; 10-16-2017, 02:33 AM. Reason: Updated with actual weight
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
  • Ditcher
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

Would you say the Larue 6.5G ultimate kit was worth it?

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

That BHW group is.... spectacular.. I've been reading alot about the polygonal rifling and such trying to play catch up on that subject..

Regarding the Larue upper.. Seems to be similar groupings as my Odin Works 16" with factory ammo.. some handloads will probably tighten things right up.

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Ditcher View Post
        Would you say the Larue 6.5G ultimate kit was worth it?
        Absotively. These were the very first 60 shots through this upper, and the groups are visibly improving. For everything received, (not counting the swag), I would be very hard pressed to match the quality and sheer quantity of components received for the money.

What I failed to mention was
        • the very sweet upper to barrel fit - I bedded both the barrel and block with LocTite Blue, but only as a matter of course, not from necessity,
        • the upper to lower receiver fit, which needed a very small amount of persuasion to get them to mate together,
        • a very impressive trigger group that, for less than 1/2 the price, rivals my Geissele SSA-E,
        • very comfortable furniture (hand guard, grip and stock)

If I had set out to build up an upper around one of these Larue barrels, I doubt I would have been able to selected a better, well fitting product, and I would have still spent about the same or more.

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
        That BHW group is.... spectacular.. I've been reading alot about the polygonal rifling and such trying to play catch up on that subject..

Regarding the Larue upper.. Seems to be similar groupings as my Odin Works 16" with factory ammo.. some handloads will probably tighten things right up.
        Thanks. I've put many rounds through that rifle. I believe the principle difference between the two rifles can be summed up as follows: Heavy bench rifle.

Compare the above Larue, with the BHW, below:

The BHW has a Magpul PRS, a 22" Bull Barrel, and a heavy, extruded, DPMS slick side upper. This rifle is built S.T.I.F.F. from the word go. With the PRS adjustable cheek weld, I am assured of consistent eye position on every shot.

The Larue, by comparison, is a lightweight. With glass and bi-pod, the Larue weighs 10.2 lbs, compared to the BHW's fully dressed 12.5 lbs.

For the sake of a cheek weld, though, I am presently deciding whether or not I need to replace the Larue stock or simply add an adjustable riser.
        Last edited by NugginFutz; 10-16-2017, 02:27 AM.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Ditcher
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

Did you order the Larue lower or did you figure the 200.00 for the receiver wasn't worth it? Someone at Larue Tactical told me they are on backorder right now cause they are fucusing on cranking out 7.62 lowers.

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

I'm ordering a ADM mount for the NF SHV F1 going on my newest 6mm Grendel tommorow... is the standard height fine for a 50mm objective or do I need the "tall" version.

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Ditcher View Post
              Did you order the Larue lower or did you figure the 200.00 for the receiver wasn't worth it? Someone at Larue Tactical told me they are on backorder right now cause they are fucusing on cranking out 7.62 lowers.
              Neither.

I bought an Aero Precision lower for the upper prior to Larue announcing the lower receivers. About a week's difference, as I recall.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

I'm ordering a ADM mount for the NF SHV F1 going on my newest 6mm Grendel tommorow... is the standard height fine for a 50mm objective or do I need the "tall" version.
                The mount on my BHW is a standard height, 20MOA ADM Recon mount. This means the objective is low and the ocular is high. That scope is a 6-24x50 Vortex and, as you can see, there is plenty of clearance beneath the bell.

Comment

• Six5x39
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2017

im using nightforce unimount 1.125" and vortex 50mm and it clears fine . but no room for backup sights . get real tight cheek rest . turkey neck thingy op talks about just doesnt do it for me

Last edited by Six5x39; 10-16-2017, 02:37 AM.

Comment

• Six5x39
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2017

OP ... larue build is 10.2lbs without mag ? what is your barrel length pls ?

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Six5x39 View Post
                      OP ... larue build is 10.2lbs without mag ? what is your barrel length pls ?

Both weights quoted are without the magazine. Remember: weights listed include scope AND bipods/adaptors.

The Larue is an 18" barrel, not including the muzzle device.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Nice looking setup, Six5x39. Interesting stencil.

"Turkey Necking", for those who don't know, describes moving your head forward or backward along the stock to get a proper sight picture - usually a result of a scope mounted too far forward or back.

What I actually meant to say was "Goose Necking", which is stretching one's head above the rifle's cheek rest to to see through the scope, resulting in a loss of contact with the rifle's cheek rest. The end result is that you have no consistent alignment of eye and reticle.

Neither behaviors are desirable, and both can be corrected by either repositioning the scope or changing the check rest.

Comment

• Kilco
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2016

Love that paint job... really nice rifle six5!

Comment

• Joseph5
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2012

I put mine together and with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 scope that has a 1 MOA dot I was getting 1.5 MOA groups at 100 yards with my initial shots. I got really lucky and only had to adjust my scope 1 click up and 2 clicks left to zero. The ultimate upper kit is definitely worth it. Actually for the quality, I would say it is the best value going right now for an AR. I put mine on an Anderson lower and the fit is so tight I have to tap the pins in and out with a hammer and delrin punch. I love the scope. It is not a precision shooting reticle which is fine with me. This is my primary big game rifle and this reticle is more for speed than minute precision. I am sure if I took the scope off my other Grendel and put it on this one it would shoot sub MOA groups also but the Strike Eagle is a better match for the rifles intended purpose and it will easily allow shots on Antelope, deer, and elk out to 500 yards.

Comment

• Jaggy13
                              Unwashed
                              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph5 View Post
                              I put mine together and with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 scope that has a 1 MOA dot I was getting 1.5 MOA groups at 100 yards with my initial shots. I got really lucky and only had to adjust my scope 1 click up and 2 clicks left to zero. The ultimate upper kit is definitely worth it. Actually for the quality, I would say it is the best value going right now for an AR. I put mine on an Anderson lower and the fit is so tight I have to tap the pins in and out with a hammer and delrin punch. I love the scope. It is not a precision shooting reticle which is fine with me. This is my primary big game rifle and this reticle is more for speed than minute precision. I am sure if I took the scope off my other Grendel and put it on this one it would shoot sub MOA groups also but the Strike Eagle is a better match for the rifles intended purpose and it will easily allow shots on Antelope, deer, and elk out to 500 yards.
                              There is no parallax adjustment on that optic. To shoot good groups, all you have to do, is "turkey neck" (as described earlier in the thread) toward the rear of the but stock.
                              When the "black" starts to creep in around the edges, just make sure that you are doing the following three things the same every time. Center the "black" ring, level the reticle, break the shot on the exact same point of aim. 8x is plenty of magnification to get a really great refined point of aim. I bet with some practice, you get inside an inch quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X