• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warp9764
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2017

Greetings everyone! Looking for some quick advice on barrels

I've settled on a 6.5 Grendel build, but I'm torn on what barrel length and brand to use. I've read some good things about Shilen barrels, but the one I've found on Midway is 20" and not threaded.

I also like the look of the Alexander 18" threaded barrel: http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/DIY...te_Barrel.html

but I've not heard anything about them. Any pointers would be great! I know the Shilen comes with a matched bolt and the Alexander bolt is separate, but I'm not sure that's that big a deal.

And I'm totally open to other brands as well. I already have a Sig 516 carbine (16" barrel) so I definitely want 18" or 20" for this build (will be my first build).

As for use - I'd like to take it hunting one day, but around where I am the longest range I have is only 100 yards. Thanks in advance for any input!
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

If you want to go hunting, but if you arnt going to be doing much 700 yard + Shooting I would deff suggest no more than 18". The AA barrel would suit your needs perfectly.

My father has an AA 18" upper and it shoots everything very very well.

Also if you buy a barrel and bolt from AA they match the bolt and barrel as well.

I had a Shilen 20" HBAR in my first Grendel. Very accurate, and VERY heavy. Deff not your best option for a walking/stalking Gun. If you are doing static position hunting, then it doesn't really matter a bunch.
    Last edited by Kilco; 10-16-2017, 12:51 AM.

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

If your only shooting 100 yards i would go with a 16" barrel. They will still reach out further then most people ever shoot. But if you want 18"+ Alexander arms sells an 18"

Comment

• warp9764
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2017

Thank you both very much!

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Welcome to forum warp9764! I’ve got a Shilen 20” barrel 6.5 Grendel from Midway and it is very nice barrel and shoots good. If I were buying today I’d probably buy an 1:8 twist whereas my Shilen is 1:9. The 1:8 twist will stabalize the heavier 6.5 Grendel bullets which are now coming on the market. I think I bought my Shilen in 2012 when there weren’t as many vendors/options available.

You might look at the Group buy 18” Faxon barrel and I agree you could probably get buy with a 16” 6.5 Grendel. My 16” 1:9 twist will shoot MOA out to at least 600 yards with factory 123 grain A-Max.

If your not interested in the Faxon Group buy barrel Alexander Arms 16” & 18” fluted barrels get very good reviews as well as Odin Works, Faxon and Ballistic Advantage.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Your two choices of barrels are chalk and cheese. The Shilen is a match-grade heavy profile while the AA is a cheap and cheerful light profile. There are advantages and disadvantages of both. At 100yds what precision are you looking for? The AA is less than half the price of the Shilen but don't think it will only be half as accurate. It will be almost as accurate as the Shilen, meaning you pay top dollar for only incremental increases in accuracy at the top end. If you are into competition shooting then the best barrel wins even if only a fraction better than others. If you shoot by yourself there's no imperative to get a match-grade barrel...unless you are into precision.

For hunting I'd go with the AA.. Nice and light and no need to worry about what the barrel does when it heats up. AA also has a quite good reputation.

If you do like Shilen then you can buy direct from their website. The price compared to Midway is almost the same;

Comment

• Texas
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum warp9764. If I am walk hunting, I use a 16" rifle or 12.5" pistol. The rest of the time 20".

Comment

• warp9764
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2017

Thanks again, everyone. I'm not [yet, anyway] into competitive shooting, so I'm not worried about absolute best accuracy. And given I'd like to take this hunting, I'll want the lighter barrel.

I guess my only real question left is if 16" is good enough or if I want the 18" "just because". Will the extra 2" really make any difference to an amateur hunter?

Hmm, here's a more important question: What weight buffer should I use? And does that change depending on the barrel length? I'm building the lower first and if there are parts that depend on the barrel length I'll need to decide before I buy them!

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Generally as long as your not running suppressed a standard buffer will work. The determining factor is the buffer tube, if you buy a rifle length stock/buffer tube use a rifle length spring and buffer. If you buy a carbine buffer tube then use a carbine length spring and buffer. If you decide to use a carbine tube test your rifle with the barrel of your choice and if it is overgassed you can always try a heavier buffer.

If you use an adjustable gas block or adjustable carrier then you can adjust the gas for whatever buffer spring combination your using.

Comment

• warp9764
                    Bloodstained
                    • Oct 2017

Thanks again - I was planning on an adjustable gas block since I'll be using the Franklin BFS trigger (got it on a whim - kinda what started my build). I'm going with carbine stock/tube so I'll start with a standard carbine weight buffer.

Comment

• warp9764
                      Bloodstained
                      • Oct 2017

Ok, so over in the group bolt buy thread BluntForceTrauma pointed out that headspace checking is always a good thing to do. I'm getting the Millennium bolt, and I'm planning on the Alexander 18" lite barrel (link in my opening post). So the bolt has the same spacing as the AA bolt - check. But for headspace gauges, I'm still learning. I've found this set: http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/metri...ace-gauge.html that offers "GO", "NO-GO", and "FIELD" gauges.

Can anyone tell me if I should get all 3, or only the Go/No-Go for a new build like mine? Is there a less expensive set anywhere to be found? $80 for a one-time use check isn't too bad, but like I said - I don't plan to build more than one Grendel rifle.

Comment

• just_john
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2012

Warp9764, welcome to the Clan from the Great Nation of Texas.
                        I have built 3 MSRs with the 18" AA barrels and they have all been far more accurate than I am. Excellent shooters all! Can't recommend 'em enough. Make sure you properly prep and install your upper prior to seating the barrel and you will have a lot of very fun / pleasant shooting.

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Welcome in warp. We are also known as - A Mob here., like Gangsters from the 1920's idea. Mafia.

Instead of buying that gauge, see if it can be - rented by a forum member on here. We all have each others backs here.

I bought a Monster bolt from BFT, while we had dinner together this spring. He asked me of my 2 bolts that I had interchanged on my 3 Grrr's, - They all fit and rotate over, and accuracy-all fine.

These were the makers of Bill A's original design. A small -tiny bit of variance was designed in- Bill A is an excellent engineer- left nothing to chance...

So I ran the Monster bolt thru the 3 uppers--- all just fine.

As for bbl choice- Nice! I have 2 -16" uppers ( 1 is for sale BTW )- & a 20" . Where I hunt- it's thick jungle stuff, the 12" would be more sane--- but I like the velocity of the 16 better.

Also, as a comparison- I built a many 5.56 uppers in last few years- never had an issue with a bolts, on any brand, they function just fine.

Standards have improved over time.
                          Last edited by sneaky one; 10-20-2017, 11:44 PM.

Comment

• warp9764
                            Bloodstained
                            • Oct 2017

just_john, sneaky one - thanks again for your input. Good idea on the gauges - I'll ask around here when the time comes.

Comment

Working...
                            X