Proof Research Barrels compared to PF or Lilja??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cb4017
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Proof Research Barrels compared to PF or Lilja??

Gents, I have my LaRue 6.5 and love it, but, I have a hankering to build a precision type 6.5 with at least a 20" barrel. I'm looking at barrels and came across the Proof Research barrels offered on Midway. I have an opportunity to use my BD discount and get one for an attractive price. I'm interested in their stainless barrel, not the CF.

I know very little about the Proof Research barrels so I'm wondering how they would compare to other higher end barrels like the PF or Lilja barrels. Also wondering if they use a SAAMI chamber and .136 bolt.

Thanks!
    Cliff
    USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Dues Vult
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Haven't read a review on their Grendel barrel yet, but in everything else people praise them like crazy...

Very anxious to see a range report..

Comment

• js8588
      Warrior
      • Jul 2017

I'm currently eyeing one of those as well...following with interest.

Comment

• shooter545
        Warrior
        • Aug 2012

Got back off the road Friday evening and my Proof was at the house. Opened it up and fondled it. I am working out of my FIL's shop because of our move but plan to have that bad boy together pretty quick. It looks amazing but we will see how it will shoot. I'll post up results here.

More to follow.

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

Originally posted by shooter545 View Post
          Got back off the road Friday evening and my Proof was at the house. Opened it up and fondled it. I am working out of my FIL's shop because of our move but plan to have that bad boy together pretty quick. It looks amazing but we will see how it will shoot. I'll post up results here.

More to follow.
          Put it on a scale!
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• js8588
            Warrior
            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by shooter545 View Post

More to follow.
            Stainless or CF?

Comment

• shooter545
              Warrior
              • Aug 2012

CF. Weighed it and it came in at 34 ounces. Got the barrel installed in the upper but either overlooked or didn't pay attention that the gas block journal is .875 not .750. All the AGBs that I had on hand were .750, so off to the Brownells website to get one. Ordered the SLR AGB for it.

Now to wait.............

Comment

• cb4017
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

Well, my BD discount with Midway was going to expire so I ordered the Proof Research 20" stainless barrel. It is due in the first part of December. That's ok, I have my LaRue to shoot in the meantime..
                Cliff
                USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Dues Vult

Comment

• js8588
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2017

Originally posted by cb4017 View Post
                  Well, my BD discount with Midway was going to expire so I ordered the Proof Research 20" stainless barrel. It is due in the first part of December. That's ok, I have my LaRue to shoot in the meantime..
                  Looking forward to the report. Probably not grabbing one of these until early next year anyway...although if there's a worthwhile black Friday sale...

Comment

• cb4017
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2016

Well Crap! Barrel back order has been extended to the end of January. I may have to rethink this.
                    Cliff
                    USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Dues Vult

Comment

• StoneHendge
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2016

Patience is a virtue. I honestly never thought I'd be dissapointed in a 1/2" 5 shot group at 100, but the flyer was a classic StoneHendge pull towards the bullseye. This was prone off an Atlas with me S'more

image.jpeg
                      Last edited by StoneHendge; 11-08-2017, 02:57 PM.
                      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• cb4017
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                        Patience is a virtue. I honestly never thought I'd be dissapointed in a 1/2" 5 shot group at 100, but the flyer was a classic StoneHendge pull towards the bullseye. This was prone off an Atlas with me S'more

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10093[/ATTACH]
                        Patience IS a virtue. Just got the email, my back ordered Proof Research barrel has been shipped. It should be here Monday.
                        Cliff
                        USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Dues Vult

Comment

• cb4017
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2016

A quick update for those following this thread. My Proof barrel was received last week. I am very pleased. See my threads on un-boxing and initial shooting report. I've never seen a Lilja barrel but I would say this Proof Research barrel is high quality. Every bit as nice as my PF Criterion barrel.
                          Cliff
                          USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Dues Vult

Comment

• tracker12
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10093[/ATTACH]

Nice shooting. What is the rest of the specs on your gun that goes along with the barrel.
                            AR's make shooting fun again!

Comment

• cb4017
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2016

Bedded with blue Permatex gel into an Aero Precision M4E1 upper with their 15" handguard. Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 44 in an Armalite mount. Lower is Aero Precision with LaRue MBT trigger. Magpul rifle stock, pistol grip and trigger guard. Standard rifle spring and buffer. It shoots great.
                              Attached Files
                              Cliff
                              USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Dues Vult

Comment

Working...
                              X