• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JethroBodine
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2017

Black Hole Weaponry Barrels on sale at Surplus Ammo

Just thought I'd pass this on to the Horde.
    Surplus Ammo has Black Hole Weaponry barrels on sale.
    20% off most barrels with free shipping and a free Aero Precision Upper.
    Lowest prices I've seen in a long time for BHW.
    I've bought 5 BHW barrels from them in various calibers and they are all Tack Drivers.
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

According to BHWs site, they no longer make stock barrels and are now doing custom only
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
      According to BHWs site, they no longer make stock barrels and are now doing custom only
      Can't remember the site name, but they have an outlet website for barrels already cut and chambered.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
        Can't remember the site name, but they have an outlet website for barrels already cut and chambered.
        Yeah - Columbia River Arms - but everything is made to order now
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• jackwagon
          Warrior
          • Jul 2017

Surplus ammo. com?

Comment

• 204 AR
            Warrior
            • Sep 2015

truesportingarmsllc.com

Comment

• JethroBodine
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2017

jackwagon

Yes, the website is http://www.surplusammo.com/

I've bought five BHW barrels from them and all are tack drivers. They have a limited range of calibers, barrel lengths and gas port configurations but may have what you are looking for.

You can't order a special barrel from them as far as I know like you can from Columbia River Arms but you usually get what you order within a week.

Comment

• Willfg
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2017

Picked up a 20" BHW from Surplus Ammo for my upper...accumulating parts, can't hardly wait

Comment

• JethroBodine
                  Bloodstained
                  • Apr 2017

Congrats Willfg!

I bought the same barrel and am amazed at how well it shoots 123 SST hand loads. I need to take the chronograph out next time to see how fast they're going. I bought their bolt at the same time and it's been great also. I just wish I'd have gotten them at the sale price.

Comment

• Willfg
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by JethroBodine View Post
                    Congrats Willfg!

I bought the same barrel and am amazed at how well it shoots 123 SST hand loads. I need to take the chronograph out next time to see how fast they're going. I bought their bolt at the same time and it's been great also. I just wish I'd have gotten them at the sale price.
                    That's awesome to hear. I hand load everything else I shoot, and will for this after playing with some factory ammo. Any particularly good recipes you've worked up...and any suggestions on dies? I have Hornady LnL AP press and have used Hornady dies for most everything...except I've recently moved to a Forster micrometer benchrest seating die for my 300 Blackout and like it a lot so far.

Comment

• JethroBodine
                      Bloodstained
                      • Apr 2017

Willfg,

I have the Forster resizing and micrometer seating dies. If I had it to do over I'd probably get the Redding bushing die and micrometer seating die.

I probably reload differently than most and am not sure if it's the best way but it works for me. I decap using a Lee Universal decapping die then clean the brass in a tumbler with stainless steel pins. Once the brass is dry I inspect for stuck SS pins then resize them with the Forster resizing die with the expander removed, next I use a Sinclair 0.262"carbide turning mandrel to open the neck up from sizing. You have to buy the the Sinclair Expander die for the carbide turning mandrel. I then clean the brass with stainless steel pins and let dry. Before priming I inspect each case for stuck SS pins. Then I prime, add the powder and seat the bullets.

My recipe is safe in my gun but may not be in yours so start low and work up. I also tap each charged case to settle the 8208XBR before seating the bullet.

Hornady 123 SST
                      Hornady once fired brass - 1.515", length after 1st firing - not trimmed
                      IMR 8208XBR - started at 27.5 and went to 28.5 in 0.2 increments. One ragged hole at 100 yds with 28.5 grains
                      I did another ladder starting at 28.3 and going up to 28.5 and settled on 28.4, 28.5 was starting to show very mild ejector marks.
                      I weighed each charge on a RCBS 10-10 scale.
                      Remington 7 1/2 Bench Rest primers
                      COAL - 2.250, could have gone out to 2.260 but wanted to make sure there were no mag problems
                      Every round checked in a Sheridan Gauge

I've read that pressure with 8208XBR can spike on you very fast so work up slow.

A very good source of reloading data are the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks, Volumes I and II. The guys that put those together really invested some time coming up with all of the data and tips.
                      Last edited by JethroBodine; 10-31-2017, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• Willfg
                        Bloodstained
                        • Sep 2017

Jethro, thanks for the additional info. Just ordered the reloading handbooks.

My process is similar, except I decap and resize then clean. Seems to work fine for 300 Blackout and all my handgun calibers. With 6.5 Grendel any compelling reason to resize after cleaning...and does it differ when reloading for plinking vs. precision?

PS Was looking at the Redding National Match die set...they do look nice. And, even though I'm mostly just plinking I'm ok with spending more to get better, more consistent reloads (the extra cost for higher-end dies over other dies is minuscule in the long run
                        Last edited by Willfg; 11-04-2017, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• JethroBodine
                          Bloodstained
                          • Apr 2017

Willfg,

When reloading I do every thing the same every time, whether it's for pistol or rifle, for safety reasons. Some of my brass is once fired / new, some picked up at the gun range and a bunch picked up on the desert in Arizona. Some of the brass picked up on the desert has been there a while and most times has sand in it. I clean after decapping and before resizing to make sure the brass is as clean as possible before running them through my dies. Less chance of scratching the die and gunk building up in it. For once fired Grendel brass you probably don't need to clean after decapping, it's just how I do it for every caliber I reload for whether it's plinking pistol ammo or match grade rifle ammo.

There is a website, www.65guys.com, that you might want to take a look at, it has several articles and videos of how to reload match grade ammo on a Dillon 550B press. I'm still reloading on my RCBS Rock Chucker but eventually would like to speed things up a little with my 550B but only if I can load accurate ammo. That is where I got the info for the carbide turning mandrel and the Forster dies. I'm still working on modifying a tool head so I can float my dies on the 550B and getting a funnel set up to drop weighed charges.

Comment

• babue
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JethroBodine View Post
                            Willfg,

When reloading I do every thing the same every time, whether it's for pistol or rifle, for safety reasons. Some of my brass is once fired / new, some picked up at the gun range and a bunch picked up on the desert in Arizona. Some of the brass picked up on the desert has been there a while and most times has sand in it. I clean after decapping and before resizing to make sure the brass is as clean as possible before running them through my dies. Less chance of scratching the die and gunk building up in it. For once fired Grendel brass you probably don't need to clean after decapping, it's just how I do it for every caliber I reload for whether it's plinking pistol ammo or match grade rifle ammo.

There is a website, www.65guys.com, that you might want to take a look at, it has several articles and videos of how to reload match grade ammo on a Dillon 550B press. I'm still reloading on my RCBS Rock Chucker but eventually would like to speed things up a little with my 550B but only if I can load accurate ammo. That is where I got the info for the carbide turning mandrel and the Forster dies. I'm still working on modifying a tool head so I can float my dies on the 550B and getting a funnel set up to drop weighed charges.
                            Whidden makes a floating tool head for the 550. http://www.whiddengunworks.com/float...lon-toolheads/. I have been thinking about getting one, also.

Comment

• JethroBodine
                              Bloodstained
                              • Apr 2017

babue,

I've seen those and would buy a couple to try if I didn't have so many of the Dillon tool heads already. I plan on modifying one to see how it works, all it takes is to drill holes and press dowel pins near each die and modify the lock rings for the dowel pins. I did buy the Uniquetek tool head clamp kit to lock it down. As I understand it you need to lock the tool head and float the dies for better concentricity on ammo.

Comment

Working...
                              X