• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • usmcm16a2
    Warrior
    • Aug 2015

Why I am saying bye to 6.5 Creedmoor.

Folks,

First I would like to say, that the Creedmoor is a great cartridge. It is fast, accurate, efficient, and experiencing a well deserved tidal wave of popularity. BUT, it has its traits that have made me decide to keep the Grendel as my only cartridge. It requires more powder, it is more finicky about bullets, it seems to like heavier bullets 140gr plus.
    Although far from fierce, more recoil. The rifles as rule are heavier, bolt actions and semi-autos. Particularly the semi-autos, the AR10 platform. Thinner contour barrels are not widely available. I shopped, for months trying find non-bull barrel. Without breaking the bank. The rifle I finally put together weighed a ton and was useless for field work. Bolt guns are common, but heavier than anything in the Grendel.
    The Grendel brings in both semi-auto and bolt actions, a lighter weight, compatibility with AR15. Excellent accuracy, efficiency in use of powder, bullets, and materials. The cartridge performs well for most North American game, from light bullets for prairie dogs, to heavier bullets for animals up to Elk. It is all about shot placement.
    When all is said and done, I hope to have a dedicated hunting semi-auto, a long range semi-auto for target shooting. Out to 600 yards. A lightweight bolt action, in the form of my CZ 527(once it is back from the manufacturer), for hunting. Howa will soon be in my gunsafe again in the guise of a 20 inch heavy barrel for target shooting.
    So long, Creedmoor. A2
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

All sound reasons.

However it would take death to part me from my beloved 260 Rem.. love my Grendel very much... but something about that 260 always makes me warm and fuzzy inside...

Comment

• usmcm16a2
      Warrior
      • Aug 2015

Kilco,

May you enjoy your .260 for many years to come. A2

Comment

• splashy
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2017

A bunch of us have a mix of 6.5's - Swedes, 260Rem, Creedmoor - and now the Grendel on the way. We have decided that the term used to describe a collection of 6.5 calibre firearms is a "grin". So you have a flock of birds, a school of fish, and a grin of 6.5s. :-)

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Can I have your Creedmore?

The Creedmore goes further with a heavier bullet and bucks the wind better than the Grendel. Your Creedmore may be finicky about bullets but you have to admit, that's not normal (I have a 6.5*47).

You find the Grendel pleasant to shoot, sure, but discounting the advantages of a larger-cased 6.5 results in a statement that has more holes than Swiss cheese.

Comment

• usmcm16a2
            Warrior
            • Aug 2015

Klem,

I respect your opinion, but this situation only applies to me. I cannot decide for others. The virtues of the Creedmoor are many, as I have said. But having worked with the cartridge for 2 years, and have come to my conclusions based on that work. A2

Comment

• kmon
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2015

I have a few 6.5s and all see some shooting but the 2 Grendels get shot more than the 6.5X54MS. 6.5-284 and 264 Win Mag combined. Though I do have to say that little MS is surely a pleasure to carry and shoot.

Comment

• Apochromat
                Unwashed
                • Jul 2017

First I would like to say, that the apple is a great fruit. It is sweet, juicy, inexpensive, and experiencing a well deserved tidal wave of popularity. BUT, it has its traits that have made me decide to keep the Orange as my only fruit. It requires more chewing, it is more finicky about juicing, it seems to like heavier dseserts like pies.
                When all is said and done, I hope to have a dedicated breakfast beverage, a mixer for vodka. Out to 176 proof. A lightweight cake glaze, in the form of my Almond Pound Cake (once it is back from the confectioner), for entertaining. Jell-O will soon be in my fridge again in the guise of a 20 inch heavy gelatin citrus flavored pudding, topped with whipped creme for ... target shooting.
                William Tell eat your heart out.
                So long, Macintosh.

Comment

• ThunderStick
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2017

He he, that's funny rite there, I don't care who you are!

I shot a 260 (hunted with) for years. It was quite capable of taking deer at over 400 yards, but I had a CZ527 223 I took for woods hunting where the shots would be inside 100 yards.I favored the 527 by about 4 pounds. When I first read about the 6.5 Grendel I saw the solution! A round that would truly do 90% of the 260, in a light, handy, and efficient package, while completely over stepping the the 223 for my hunting needs. If I lived in an area where 90% of my shots where over 400 I would still favor the the bigger gun. As they say in drag racing, "there's no replacement for displacement"! As far as recoil is concerned, that really depends on what your gun weighs as much as the horse power!

Comment

• keystone183
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2013

I thought maybe you were moving to the 6Creedmoor....

Comment

• pajasonc
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by keystone183 View Post
                      I thought maybe you were moving to the 6Creedmoor....
                      thats what has kept me out of the 6.5 creedmor game. While it has had a surge in popularity its not like I can go into any sporting goods store and find ammo, meaning its still not as popular as 308,06,270,243 and 30-30. Many of its users are still target crowd and they switch calibers like they do underwear. How much of the 6.5's market is going to go to the 6mm? It's probably a better long range caliber.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2016

Well, I was going to tell you that you're either crazy or must live in an area where the wind doesn't blow. But then I saw you pretty much put a cap on range at 600 yards. Which makes sense.

As to finickyness, it seems that H4350 is finally starting to become available. It still sells out fast, but it keeps popping up. Once everyone has a stash hoarded away, I would think the market stabilizes. I have found that like Varget and 308, for the S'more there is H4350 and everything else.
                        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• saturn
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

All 6.5s are GREAT !

ALL 6.5 are great !

Own: 1. 6.55x55 Swede built by Mauser Werke in 1896, set up as sniper, lent to Denmark in WWII, killed many Nazis, 2. Kimber Adirondack in 6.5 CM w/2.5-10 NF and GEMTECH can.

Being built: 6.5-300 Weatherby on ex 458 winmag Ruger No. 1, 30" 5R bbl stainless. Guessing 3800 fps w/129 gr Hornadys.

6.5 Grendel: asking elsewhere here for advice to equip my LWRC lower with an upper.

IMG_1023 (1).jpg

DSCN4573.jpg

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 2011

I was sold on the concept of high efficiency cartridges when I first read an article by Jim Carmichel on the nascent .260 Remington way back in something like 1997.

First 6.5mm was a surplus Swedish M38 Mauser.

Haven't looked back since!
                            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• 65Whelen
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2014

I always new the 6.5 was a great bullet, wanted a Swede for years. The grendel was my first and that lead me to the Creed. I'd hate to give up either one. To me it's the right tool for the job, whatever that may be. And, both of them are just plain fun to shoot.

Comment

Working...
                              X