• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saturn
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

New to 6,5 Grendel ----- need advice.

But not new to ARs. Have R-15 in 223, LWRC 5.56, extra Stag uppers 300 B/O and 7.62x39. DPMS AR-10 308 24", match, 16" 308 TAC, 260 Rem 20" bull and 300 SAUM 20" bull.

Some I love, some are okay.

Love 6.5s (1896 Swede 6.5x55 and Kimber Adirondack in 6.5 CM.)

Would like a Grendel upper for my Rolls Royce LWRC lower.

1 MOA is a must. Saw this one on the "bargains" thread w/20" bbl (I have cans)

Appreciate advice. Thanks !
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

The Grendel II chamber probably indicates this is a Satern/Liberty rack grade barrel. If you really want a barrel which will consistently shoot 1 MOA or better I think you’d be wise to buy a better barrel. Any rack grade barrel is luck of the draw, you may get a very accurate barrel, average accuracy or barely acceptable accuracy. High quality barrels will generally shoot a wide variety of ammo accurately. Many rack grade barrels can be accurate but you may have to search a while before you find an accurate load.

Many forum members report great accuracy with Satern/Liberty barrels but other forum members have been soured over past practices of Saterns customer service. I personally like SAAMI spec barrels as opposed to the Grendel II chamber.

Comment

• stangfan94
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2015

So do you want a "Rolls Royce" upper to match the lower or just something to try out?

Also a budget would help.

Precision Firearms is about as good as it gets, also JP. Or you can build your own upper and get a barrel from PF or Lilja

Comment

• saturn
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

"So do you want a "Rolls Royce" upper to match the lower or just something to try out?"

Said I want 5 good cartridges in 1 MOA.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Lilja, JP, Shilen, PF, Odin Works, Proof Research, X Caliber, Double Star/J&T Distributing SS barrel or Ballistic Advantage are where I would look depending on my budget.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by saturn View Post
            "So do you want a "Rolls Royce" upper to match the lower or just something to try out?"

Go to Precision Firearms and they will set you up with an upper that will suit your needs.

As for barrels, Krieger, Lilja, Shilen, JP, Les Bear, are of a quality level that almost guarantees you good performance. Go cheap and you may get a decent barrel and maybe not. It would be rare if you got one as good as a top end barrel.

LR55

Comment

• saturn
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

sorry $1000 for an upper is silly.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Just because someone list a product on gunbroker doesn’t mean it’s worth it. If it had a great barrel they’d be bragging about it. No name barrel with Radical Firearms hand guard, even looks like a RF barrel. You can buy a RF upper for $400 or less. I’d be leery of that Gunbroker item, 1:9 twist is not as desireable at 1:8 twist. There have been several members who have bought uppers from Grendelhunter.com. Grendelhunter uses Satern Grendel II barrels but his uppers get good reviews. JSE Surplus is selling several different 6.5 Grendel uppers and worth checking out. One of the better deals right now is the Oden Works 6.5 Grendel barrel kit which include the gas block and BCG. You can order directly from Odin or several other vendors like PSA, Primary Arms or Joeboboutfitters.

I missed mentioning Alexander Arms in my previous post but AA 18” fluted $200 barrels get very good reviews with good CS in the event you have a problem. If your just testing the waters to see if you’ll like the 6.5 Grendel look at the Faxon group buy barrel and bolt. It’s not that difficult to assemble an upper or get a Friend to help.
                Last edited by VASCAR2; 10-19-2017, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by stangfan94 View Post
                  So do you want a "Rolls Royce" upper to match the lower or just something to try out?

Also a budget would help.

Precision Firearms is about as good as it gets, also JP. Or you can build your own upper and get a barrel from PF or Lilja
                  sorry $1000 for an upper is silly.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/706452665
                  I agree with you on that particular upper. However, IMO there are some that are worth that and more but they aren’t on the bargain aisle.

I tend to buy once cry once it that’s just me.
                  Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• stangfan94
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2015

So you still don't give a budget and then complain things are too expensive?

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

If you buy a cheaper barrel it may or may not shoot great out of the box.

It may shoot better after 50 to 100 rounds are shot through it.

If you want a guarantee of 1 MOA you should buy from a maker that has a guarantee of 1 MOA.

Comment

• ty_hooper12
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2017

Comment

• rabiddawg
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2013

The ar perf stuff may be ok but the dude himself is Not the kind of person I will do business with. I’ve never met the man or bought from him. Fortunately his shenanigans on the net revealed his character.

Good accuracy, good customer service - Alexander Arms or Precision Firearms. They won’t be the cheapest but in the end could be the best bargain
                          Last edited by rabiddawg; 10-20-2017, 12:13 PM.
                          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• saturn
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Folks, I don't want to buy a barrel, I want to buy a complete upper.

I can buy a Bushmaster 223 Varmint upper for $680, same as on my R15, and it shoots bugholes.

$1000 for an upper because it's in a different chambering is a rip-off.

Some are quick to dump on the one I linked ----- has anyone actually wrung one out ?

He has 100% A+ f/b.

Comment

• LR1955
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2011

Folks, I don't want to buy a barrel, I want to buy a complete upper.

I can buy a Bushmaster 223 Varmint upper for $680, same as on my R15, and it shoots bugholes.

$1000 for an upper because it's in a different chambering is a rip-off.

Some are quick to dump on the one I linked ----- has anyone actually wrung one out ?

He has 100% A+ f/b.
                              saturn.

I can't afford a Precision upper but I commend them because they will state who makes all of their components and have a very good reputation for very fine quality uppers and ammunition. You may think them a rip off but anyone who owns one of their uppers doesn't.

As opposed to Precision, who ever made the upper you linked to does not state who made the barrel. There is a reason why the seller won't state the barrel maker. It is because the seller knows the barrels are basically rack grade quality and won't sell if they stated the maker or makers.

Furthermore, a 1 / 9 twist generally means you are stuck with bullet weights of about 120 grains or less. A 1 turn in 8 twist is pretty much ideal for the 6.5 and will shoot the heavy 140's very well.

I don't think anyone here would drop $500.00 on the no name upper made by someone who won't admit who made the barrel. That's probably why you won't find anyone here who has wrung one out.

LR55

Comment

Working...
                              X