• Oct 2017

Or this one ?

1 in 8 100% A+ F/B.

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by saturn View Post

I wouldn't because the barrel is rack grade, stainless steel, and has a brake / comp.

If you want a blaster though, it will do the job I am sure.
        Last edited by LR1955; 10-21-2017, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• saturn
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

I assume a "rack grade" bbl is a typical mass produced button rifled barrel like my R15 223, 300 SAUM AR 10, numerious Remington, Ruger and Winchester bolt guns in my safe ?

Any of them <30 caliber will shoot 5 in <1moa, any <40 caliber will shoot 3 in 1 moa, any under 50 caliber will shoot 3 in 1.5 moa.

This is an AR, not a bench rest or F class target rifle.

The Bushmaster made R15 with a production barrel will shoot sub moa to 400 with a Nikon Coyote scope.

Would I be wrong to think these folks selling the uppers with production barrels would not have A+ ratings if their uppers were not accurate ?

Perhaps you folks want your Grendels to match up with Chassis bolt action 6.5 CMs out to 1000 ? Overcoming the platform and cartridge limitations to get that is, I suppose, a very expensive project. Probably, after dropping all that money, a Ruger Precision 6.5 CM would take home the silver cup.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

Is it safe to assume that this guy is trying to pump the gunbroker listings? Not very thankful to those who have taken time to give experienced advice,
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

sorry $1000 for an upper is silly.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/706452665
              I wouldn't touch an unknown-barrel listing with a barge pole.

Prices for firearms is relative. You can buy a bespoke rifle from James Purdey or Holland or Holland in London for the price of a house. Or a clapped-out second-hand plinker for $50. You might think $1K is silly but if you are also wanting precision then you can't have your cake and eat it too. Precision costs money and you need to know the provenance of the barrel.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                Is it safe to assume that this guy is trying to pump the gunbroker listings? Not very thankful to those who have taken time to give experienced advice,
                I agree, something is up.
                Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• saturn
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Uh, NO. Amazing how many people from CO reflect the Kalifornicated mind set that has wrecked a once fine state. Heck they voted for crooked hillary ---- what more need be said.

As to your point (wrong), I am "pumping" (whatever that means) nobody. I have looked all over the net at all the suggestions given here, and while no doubt great, they are just too expensive for a 1 moa upper.

As for being "thankful" ----- being thankful, doesn't mean you blindly follow anyone's advice ----- you say thanks (as I did) and add what they said to what knowledge is out there. I have no way to know if their advice is "experienced" ----- it's just someone's input. Just because it's on the "net" does not mean it's the last word.

You know what Ann Landers said.......

Comment

• saturn
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
                    I agree, something is up.
                    You too are a pair ! Tinfoil hats go on sale on Amazon on Monday ---- better order a gross each !

Comment

• saturn
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                      I wouldn't touch an unknown-barrel listing with a barge pole.

Prices for firearms is relative. You can buy a bespoke rifle from James Purdey or Holland or Holland in London for the price of a house. Or a clapped-out second-hand plinker for $50. You might think $1K is silly but if you are also wanting precision then you can't have your cake and eat it too. Precision costs money and you need to know the provenance of the barrel.
                      Klem, having fondled quite a few H&Hs in my day, including my 400 H&H, I'd say they are worth every farthing.

An AR is hardly "bespoke", it's a mass produced weapon that can be improved a bit by hand work and special barrels.

As I said in post 1, I want a MOA rifle not a 1/4 MOA rifle. Tons of mass produced ARs will meet that criteria w/o spending a fortune. In fact Even my AUG will fed really good ammo.

Terms like "precision" DMS unless defined in quantitative terms.

Again, thanks for the input !

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

...I have looked all over the net at all the suggestions given here, and while no doubt great, they are just too expensive for a 1 moa upper.
                        Granted. You want accuracy on a budget. (Don't we all?)

As for being "thankful" ----- being thankful, doesn't mean you blindly follow anyone's advice ----- you say thanks (as I did) and add what they said to what knowledge is out there. I have no way to know if their advice is "experienced" ----- it's just someone's input. Just because it's on the "net" does not mean it's the last word.
                        And yet, here you are, asking this group for just that. I find it somewhat ironic. Here you are, asking a group of people whose opinions you are skeptical of, about a slew of gun broker listings from people who do not disclose the manufacturers of the barrels, and then complain when they respond "unknown barrel - no confidence".

The entire premise of posing your question on the 6.5 Grendel forum is that the group would logically be slightly more educated on the subject than any other sample of people. Your unwillingness to heed or at least acknowledge their advice is duly noted. Try not to feel surprised when the reception cools, somewhat, when you continue to throw their advice back in their faces.
                        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• biodsl
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2011

Saturn...please buy this Mid State Firearms upper so this thread can die. Let us know how it works out.
                          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Brett
                            Bloodstained
                            • Feb 2017

I hope it doesn't die before he has a chance to finish telling us about all the different guns in his safe.

Comment

• Klem
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Klem, having fondled quite a few H&Hs in my day, including my 400 H&H, I'd say they are worth every farthing.

An AR is hardly "bespoke", it's a mass produced weapon that can be improved a bit by hand work and special barrels.

As I said in post 1, I want a MOA rifle not a 1/4 MOA rifle. Tons of mass produced ARs will meet that criteria w/o spending a fortune. In fact Even my AUG will fed really good ammo.

Terms like "precision" DMS unless defined in quantitative terms.

Again, thanks for the input !
                              Not a problem...if you are looking for 1MOA from three rounds groups, scoped, rested and from the bench, consistently then I still would not touch that upper. You might be lucky and it's sub MOA but unknown-origin barrels are anathema to this forum. It might be 1.5MOA or even 2MOA. Unlikely to be more than that if it is new. I mean, sorry for pointing our the obvious but how would we know how well it's going to shoot if we don't know who made the barrel? Likely it is not a quality manufacturer's barrel or surely the poster would be advertising this.

You are asking our advice on a gamble. What are the odds? I'd say 50:50 it's going to work out for you. You have to decide whether the price of the upper is worth the potential payout of sub-moa on the toss of the coin. 'Heads you win, Tails you lose'.

Me, I don't gamble on such things. My appreciation of guns comes from knowing exactly where every part comes from. By all means buy it however, if you feel inclined and I'll be interested to know how it shoots.

Comment

• Sticks
                                Chieftain
                                • Dec 2016

F/B = Face Book? - Not what I would call a reliable source for reviews.

If a guy wants to spend Ford Focus money and expect Ferrari performance....More power to him.

I spent $1800 on a complete upper, and I have to pick accuracy nodes in my load ladders from 8 different 5 shot groups, .3gr increments - .5 MOA to .9 MOA, while taking shooter error into account.

That is what I got for my insane amount of money spent.
                                Last edited by Sticks; 10-21-2017, 10:11 AM.
                                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                                X