• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RockWarrior
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
    Great write up and modification. This post finally pushed me to do it as well as the fact I dumped my magazine twice this am walking through bottom looking for a pig shot on the property. The only step I added was to shorten the internal ribs in box by 1/2” to allow spring to compress enough to install bottom plate. Spring gets wider towards bottom and bottom cut off didn’t have ribs. Thanks again.

Richard
    Thanks for pointing this out Richard, I've gone back and done the same to my mag.

Comment

• ricsmall
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by RockWarrior View Post
      Thanks for pointing this out Richard, I've gone back and done the same to my mag.
      Glad to add to the great mod. I used to really like this little gun. Now I love it. Duplex scope that I know where to hold all the way out to 300 yds for a clean hit. Easy to carry now. What’s not to love?!

Richard
      Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• ramslammer
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2014

G'Day Makes you wonder why Howa don't do this as an option. I for one would certainly of prefered this size mag and would buy one if available. It can't be that hard for them to produce you'd think.
        Juddy

Comment

• glocker21
          Unwashed
          • Feb 2018

Nice mod and nice stick as well. How has performance been post mod and increased round count? Any bugs show up unexpectedly?

Comment

• pacificpt
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2019

Really nice looking modification, looks like it would be much easier to carry and handle in the field.

Comment

• RockWarrior
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by glocker21 View Post
              Nice mod and nice stick as well. How has performance been post mod and increased round count? Any bugs show up unexpectedly?
              It has worked flawlessly. No issues with feeding. Just make sure you give that little extra wiggle room with 4 rounds in it. You want to be able to push the cartridges down another 1/4 inch or so with 4 rounds loaded. If the loaded mag doesnt insert and lock in with a positive click, sand the top of the base plate a little at a time until it does.

Comment

• 32Ballew
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2018

If you buy the DIP metal base plate, there is no sanding needed.

Comment

• bachekermooni
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2018

Thanks for the great instructions with pics. Just made mine in between watching soccer matches and the evening walk. Picked a couple of mags up from GrabAGun for $25 each.
                  Last edited by bachekermooni; 07-08-2019, 04:56 AM.

Comment

• jmkhenka
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2020

I have modified mine, using a dremmel makes it really easy. 4 rounds in the mag, 1 in the pipe. Or 7+1 if you use the internals for the 5 rounder.

Now i have a Jefferson outdoors BDL magazine. It fits 4, but i just load 3 out of eaze. But its nice to have the alternatives, changing plate is a 30 second affair if i need it. Sometimes it can be nice to have two mags.

Comment

• Six5x39
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2017

Has anyone try this with Dip base plate ? It looks like there isn't eniugh material to grab on once it's cut and may have excessive Play at where it slides onto .

Comment

• MOW
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jul 2023

Performed the mod, it works well. I didn't cut the spring, it holds 4 rounds and cycles like the 5 rounder. I used a hacksaw with a fine blade (I tried the dremel, but I couldn't go slow and control it.) and a utility knife for finishing cuts. Sandpaper stapled to a piece of wood help finish some of the hacksaw cuts. Now that I know what I'm doing, I may perform mod to the inside of a 5 rounder.

Comment

• Legionnaire
                          Unwashed
                          • Jan 2022

I know this thread is years old, but thanks for the excellent instructions and photos! Just did the mod on my 6.5 Grendel.

HowaDay3-06.jpg
                          Cogito, ergo armatus sum.

Comment

Working...
                          X