• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ty_hooper12
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

Lefty Grendel Upper?

I've got a buddy that wants me to find or build him a left handed Grendel upper with a 20" barrel, also looking to build/find one for my dad. I've built right handed uppers and have no problems there, but never built a lefty upper. Obviously I need the left handed receiver itself, but aside from that, are there any differences? Will the barrel need a different extension? Does the bolt or whole BCG need to be different? Also, does anybody know where I can get a left handed upper to start with? Or a complete lefty upper? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • 1075 tech
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

Receiver, bolt, and bolt carrier. I don't know if the extension is different. I don't know of anyone making a .136 bolt for left handed operation. Bear Creek Arsenal I see has a left handed .125 bolt/ upper offering for the 7.62x39. You may have to go that route. Stag Arms also does some lefty stuff but I think only in 223/5.56.

Comment

• howl
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

I just add an ambi safety and mag release. Handedness in firearms is a dead end.

Comment

• Jaggy13
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2017

I'm lefty and shoot several carbines with right side eject.
        Functionally there is really no issue except for the occasional powder burn, so I am diligent about eye protection.
        athletically, if I have a high heart rate and high rate of fire exchange, I try to list or pivot to avoid an inhale of pure off gas. (Typically I am moving while shooting so not much of an issue)
        (it's similar to sitting on an idling motorcycle and carbon monoxide fills your helmet and burns your eyes and throat)
        health wise, my only real concern is lead exposure. I shoot 10's of thousands of pistol rounds a year out of a carbine and feel like I live on the off gas now. (9mm pistol caliber carbine in competition)
        My concern is lead exposure over time.

So I can be his canary in the coal mine.... If you don't see me post for a while, tell your buddy it didn't work out!

For all of my carbines I run the exact same setup on the lower. Ambi safety (not sure why everyone wouldn't... I use both sides all the time) Bad lever to send the bolt forward with my reload hand and the Troy mag release. I ran the norgon for a while, but it didn't have as good of a mechanical advantage. But I doubt he will be doing speed reloads and dropping mags. So that could be skipped on this build. Honestly, the biggest benefit I get is being able to eject a mag and hold the bolt catch at the same time. In a 3 gun match if I have to dump the gun, I can do it in one fluid motion leaving it empty of a mag, bolt held open and empty chamber. It's seriously the only advantage for being left handed I have found to date...

for the minor amount of round count he will see with a mid range precision(ish) carbine health concerns are fairly minor. Powder burns and debris become the real concern. So eye pro up!

Comment

• ty_hooper12
          Warrior
          • Oct 2017

Comment

• elfman
            Unwashed
            • May 2015

Not a losing battle. Just gotta be willing to keep searching. I recently put together a left hand rig. Bolt from Underground
            Tactical. Ambi barrel extension from Stag (don't really know if needed, but did it anyway). Mark at Precision Firearms put the barrel together with headspace set to my bolt. 1/2" at 100 yards with Hornady ELD match ammo. Handloads next.
            Definitely a worthwhile endeavor.

Comment

• ty_hooper12
              Warrior
              • Oct 2017

Comment

Working...
              X