• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Willfg
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2017

New to Grendel, scope and scope mount question

Hi All,

Been lurking on the forums but since I'm getting close to building a new Grendel upper I have a question regarding scope mounts.

Here's what I'm doing

I currently have an AR in 300 blk and am having a Grendel upper built (living behind enemy lines in Commiefornia, less complicated to do just the upper rather than a whole new rifle). Parts so far:

*Midwest Industries G3 rail (lightweight), bolt carrier, gas block
    *BHW 20" barrel
    *VG6 Gamma 65 muzzle break
    *BCM charging handle (not ambi, large latch)
    *Custom (Cason Engineering) upper (from the guy who did my Blackout upper and lower) and bolt (from the same guy)
    *All the other bits and pieces are mil spec and based on deals I found or extra parts laying around.

Current scope is a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10, FFP on an ADM QD mount.

Purpose: target plinking fun (of course), long range fun (no competition), hunting

Question(s):

Scope. For long range fun, at what distance will I probably want something with more magnification? And, if I'm thinking trying to reach 1000yds, any recommendations on how high of a magnification to go for? Eyes are ok, but I'm in my 50's so not as good as my younger days/

Scope mount. My current mount is an ADM Recon...I like it, its easy to use, holds zero well when I change back and forth with my red dot, etc. Thinking about that 1000yd reach, I'm thinking I need something more like the 20 moa version...but I don't know if its needed and if most my shooting is going to be 100yds to 300yds what kind of issues, if any, does having that elevation in the scope create?

Any and all input is appreciated, including "you're an idiot and thinking about it wrong" (as long as there's a suggestion on how to think about it

PS I reload everything I shoot now (various pistol calibers and 300blk) and will do so for the Grendel. I have a Hornady LnL AP press and mostly Hornady Custom dies. I recently changed to a Forster micrometer seating die for 300blk and really like it (seems to hold the bullet and case better than the Hornady die). Any suggestions on a seating die?
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

With most scopes your going to run out of elevation adjustment around 800 yards if you shoot close to sea level. At higher elevations in the mountains out west you might get by without a 20 MOA mount. The higher magnification scopes come at the penalty of more bulk and weight on your rifle.

I have a 20” 6.5 Grendel and I put a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 mil dot scope in a 30 mm one piece 20 MOA mount. A Friend put a Vortex PST 4-16x50 on his 18” 6.5 Grendel with mil reticle. I like both scopes and another Friend put a Mark AR Leupold 4-12 on his 18” 6.5 Grendel. I think any scope in these magnification range are a good fit for the 6.5 Grendel.

My last 16” 6.5 Grendel I assembled I used a Warne 1” tube 20 MOA mount.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 10-20-2017, 01:57 AM.

Comment

• Jaggy13
      Unwashed
      • Oct 2017

If you don't care about weight, then throw a telescope up there!
      I have a 4.5x30 on my precision rifle. I can't tell you how much, maybe 90% of the time, I'm around 10-12 power.
      But when I want to really zoom in, I can.
      good glass is addicting. get some and start enjoying it.
      Plus on that thing weight just soaks up the recoil.
      I'm going with a 2-12 but I got the nicest glass I could afford. It's not as light as your PST, but that was a consideration.
      I'm planning on varmitting or deer hunting with mine, so trying to keep weight down.

For me instead of magnification its the focus that I really embrace.
      you can roll the focus from near to far and see the mirage for the given distance it's focus at.
      I do that to watch for swirls or eddies in the wind.
      Plus if you get something really nice and build a bolt gun later, you can just move that over and decide what to do then.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

Depends on what your shooting at 1000 yards. I shoot steel and have scopes wit max magnification from 16 to 30x and am always around 15-16 no matter the caliber (223 and Grendel to 65cm and 308) so I can maintain sight picture and watch my hits (misses). I'm in my early 50s and my eyes are fading to the point that I do reticle holdovers since I can't read the turret when I come off the scope

The only time I find myself at max mag is when zeroing or shooting groups during load development
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• lrgrendel
          Warrior
          • Jul 2013

AADMOUNT with 20MOA built in. Built like a tank but not cheap.

Schmidt and Bender or Nightforce if you are rich! Or a Vortex with a life time warranty...

Regarding scope power, my opinion is always go for the highest power, (eg 6-24) you can always turn it down.

Glass clarity, durability and tracking is important again for 1000 yds and hunting.

Also you going to go MIL or MOA? Something to think about as all models don’t come in both.

Hope this helps

Comment

• Willfg
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2017

Thank you all for the information and suggestions -- greatly appreciated and extremely helpful.

The AADMOUNT does look really nice!

Comment

• Bushwack44
              Unwashed
              • Oct 2016

FWIW, I have a Nikon Prostaff 5 4.5-18x40 on a 20" SS upper. I've taken it as far as 600 yards ( take it up to 12 - 14x). But I think I would have been better off with a fixed 16x or maybe 20x (for going as far as 1,000 yards). Just couldn't pass up on the bargain price the Nikon was.

Comment

• elfman
                Unwashed
                • May 2015

May want to take a look at the Burris Signature line of rings with the PosiAlign ring insert. I have used these on several builds and have been happy so far. You can get the same effect as a 20 MOA mount and can also correct for windage alignment while bore sighting. Also, no lapping required. No problems with bent tubes or scope slipping, but I have not personally used them on a magnum caliber. The most recent model is a 6 screw tactical rig. As for glass, Nightforce would be at the top of my list, but for overall value, I bought Vortex without regret. HS LR 6x24x50 FFP with XLR MOA reticle. That glass will get you to 1000 yds with a 20 MOA mount setup.
                Last edited by elfman; 10-27-2017, 02:02 AM.

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

Get a scope with reticle and turrets in the same units, either MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA.
                  Otherwise, you will always be converting units. PITA.

Comment

• diddlyv
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2016

I used the ADM Recon 30 MM 20 MOA to mount my Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 44 on my 20 Inch DMR contour barreled Grendel. Found it on line for $166 and free shipping
                    Queen of Battle
                    Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2016

I really like my SWFA SS 3-15. I hate the aero ultralight Mount, wish I would have went with the Burris PEPR like on my 5.56 AR.

Comment

• Lastrites
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2017

Jake what do not like about the aero mount? I have a SWFA branded PEPR mount and I wished I had gotten the aero.
                        Last edited by Lastrites; 11-07-2017, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• Crews
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jul 2017

Comment

• Willfg
                            Bloodstained
                            • Sep 2017

Thanks to all for the continuing feedback...really helpful (and helping me be sure to cry once)

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2016

The mount twists the optic when tightening down due to the clamp design. It was more difficult than necessary to level the scope. I also had to use blue thread locker on all the screws because they constantly loosen up. I did not run into either of these issues on my PEPR mount, however that it's using a smaller 2-8 scope not a 3-15 and on a 5.56 not a 6.5.

Comment

Working...
                              X