• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

1st reloads to the range today

A little back story first. The 6.5 grendel is my first AR and first semi auto. Ive always shot bolt actions and shot them very well. I figured I would start my first AR by building it so that way I would know how the entire thing works and how to disassemble and clean etc. I had help from a guy who builds ARs for a living. I ordered all my parts individually and think I ordered pretty good stuff. Alexander Arms stripped lower, 16" barrel, and bolt. Midwest Industries handguard, Larue MBT 2s trigger.

First time I took it out shooting I wanted to throw it in the trash as previously posted. I shot hornady 123 g SST and Amax, The amax shot better but still like 2moaish and the SST was easily 5+ MOA. I did my research and lapped the upper receiver, bedded the barrel and went back with Amax and ELD-M. It shot much better. 4 shot groups were mostly all around 1moa with a couple 3/4 MOA. Of course, I wanted better so lets take a dive into reloading. I got all my reloading gear back in June (its october), thats right I spent 4 months doing a ton of research, bought and read volumes 1 and 2 of the reloading handbooks, along with a few other books, watched countless youtube videos on reloading etc.

I ordered 200 blem bullets from midway. I understand these might not be as accurate as non blems but its my first bullets to reload and the main goal is to not blow my face off right. I ordered 123g polymer tipped boat tails that im not positive what they are and 120g lead free that LRRP52 said were the Hornady GMX in a previous post. Following volume 2 load data I found a 120g lead free load and 123g load that used CFE powder and CCI 41 primers.

My reloading process was very thorough. 1st I took all my once fired brass and put it in the tumbler and most ran from 8-12 hours overnight. After that I lubed and put through my redding full length resizing/depriming die. Then I put back in the tumbler to take the lube off overnight. After that I trimmed all the brass with my Worlds Finest Trimmer to 1.513. Next I used the chamfer deburring tool to clean the edge I trimmer. After that I used a RCBS priming tool to prime all the cases. Now its time for charges. I did 10 rounds of the lowest charge of the 123g first. 5 shots to foul up the barrel a little then everything else would be 5 shot groups. The 123 grains had a max load of 31.0g of powder so I started at 27.9 and did .3g increases to 30.3g stopping 0.7 g short of max load. I loaded with COAL of 2.250 +- .003. I loaded the 120g lead free starting at 27.3 and increased in 0.3g increments to 30.0 with COAL 2.250 +-0.003.

Im guessing the 123g that I dont know what they are are SST cause the groups were aweful as you will see in the pictures. My 123g groups are the top 2 targets. The lead free where not much better but I had 2 groups that were "OK" for hunting purposes but not going to win me anything. I was using a 16x nikon monarch which works very well for me on my bolt action. I moved it to the AR just for load development. I was shooting off a gun rest and I admit that the table height wasnt super confortable for me but I was able to get into what I felt was a good steady shooting position with what felt like good trigger pulls. It was a little breezy and im not sure how much that affected the groups or if it was all me or some of the loads or all of the above.

So heres my questions. What is a decent inexpensive bullet to buy to load for plinking for more trigger time and what is another good option for a lead free hunting round shooting in florida where the game is typically 100-150lb deer and hogs. I am thinking I can go with a lighter lead free bullet that I might be able to get higher velocities on to increase the effective range maybe.

I also admit that I am not an expert shooter but I do shoot allot better then this with my bolt action 270.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bigs28; 10-19-2017, 07:06 PM.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Ps. I didn't blow my face off.

Comment

• Arkhangel5
      Warrior
      • Apr 2016

B28,
      Maybe try a different powder?

Am in Fl also, I shoot my Grendel out to 600yds and never had any accuracy issues. Maybe yours just doesnt like CFE223.

My preferred powder is IMR8208-XBR. I gave up a little speed to get shot to shot consistency. My MV with a 123 ELD is 2465fps, but shoots very well out of an 18in barrel.

I have used this powder with 4 different bullets and case combos, always works for me.

SY

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

I was going to try that next. I shoot at okeechobee shooting sports. Not sure where you shoot but i know this is just the first loads and this might take a while.

Comment

• cb4017
          Warrior
          • Dec 2016

Another powder that seems to be gaining traction with the Grendel is AR-Comp. A sweet spot for some looks to be 27.6 gr of it behind a 123 gr bullet. It's been working pretty good for me in my LaRue with Nosler CC bullets.
          Cliff
          USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Dues Vult

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Bigs-The gmx target- notice the width of holes? As a side to side group, accuracy is there.. Just horizontal
            stringing. Re do your bench set up? I shoot my lighter gmx into tiny cloverleafs, on most all of my outings.Quality front bipod., get a rear stock bag that will work for You. Or,,,,,,

Look into a rear stock monopod device. Most of your groups have the tell tale - slidin around signs- on your setup- been there, most have . AR is a funky to fit at the bench for many, different heights, body sizes, etc.

We adapt each shooter to the bench, whatever it takes- really helps with group sizes on paper.

We put some sticky back 220 grit sandpaper onto a portable bench in the area of an elbow, or whatever part of you leans on the bench- to limit side to side wiggle. Sand bags, try piling them on your arm & elbow areas. And underneath - mostly elbow areas.

I was taught to shoot ABAP. Many taught me as a youth. Comfort at the bench with a new style rifle to one is a challenge.

Bring some foam - Shims_ or a phone book, anything to get the height just right. Get comfy.

Either way- all your shots would take a deer down- in your target pics.
            Last edited by sneaky one; 10-20-2017, 12:25 AM.

Comment

• Arkhangel5
              Warrior
              • Apr 2016

B28,
              I shoot at Port Malabar. The High Power range is closed right now due to hurricane damage.

I will second what Sneaky One said, try to get as stable as possible. When load testing I use a competition rear bag to help shooting small groups.

In regards to your targets, instead of shooting at the middle, try aiming at the points at 3,6,9 and 12. Aim small, miss small.

SY

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

I didn’t see what barrel and twist you are running but will share something I stumbled upon last weekend.

Gonna try and be brief. My oldest Grendel a AA 16” suddenly lost some accuracy a couple years ago. It is a hunting rifle so it was good enough. For two seasons I ran accurate but well below max loads in my two long range guns. Recently I did a laddertest that revealed a node at max. I loaded more of those and went out last Sunday to duplicate the load. After doing so with the two long range guns I decided to try the load in this 16”er. Factory hornady 123sst shoots about 1 1/2” group at 100. I loaded three of my max reloads and put three in just under an inch. So now I have three guns using the same load

I peck all that with one finger to say: try speeding things up. My load is 30.8 grains of 8208 under a 100 gr Nosler bt.

You might just get lucky like I did.
                Last edited by rabiddawg; 10-20-2017, 01:09 AM.
                Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

What sneaky said. Both of those GMX loads look like they have potential. The vertical stringing in the first could be from how it's recoiling from an uncomfortable position. Were you using a bipod or a front rest?
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Yes, we have even more sniper class shooters on here to help out. Thanks for being aboard Ark 5.

I just went through a 12 minute chat , about -the scope is junk, vs. the shooter is-,, or the new bbl is not perfect., via texts. Good grief,,
                    Last edited by sneaky one; 10-20-2017, 01:24 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Stone, the only issue with the 120 Gmx, ---is it's own wt. It's accurate all day to 350 yds. It is too long to push in any more powder at safe levels , to be an elephant taker.

I tweaked them down to 77-105 grns. for Whitetail deer 100- 300 lb. class by wts.
                      Last edited by sneaky one; 10-20-2017, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

All of us that are on this active thread- lets keep this going for a bit.

Comment

• Bigs28
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2016

I appreciate all the feedback. I do plan on doing more loads in 0.1g increment changes near those two that strung on me. The range has 1 piece shooting rests with front and rear supports that are adjustable. I feel like i get comfortable but there is allot of wiggling around before each shot to get comfortable. I could bring my own front and rear bags next week to see if it's more comfortable.

Not this exact rest but similar

Last edited by Bigs28; 10-20-2017, 01:52 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Keep us updated man-we are all part of the learning curve here. Good shooting on your new next outing with cool bench setups.

Anything that's an improvement- Post it up!

if it's negative---- ask the gang in the correct thread.
                            Last edited by sneaky one; 10-20-2017, 02:13 AM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                              Chieftain
                              • May 2016

Looks like a ? Was unanswered - 123'gr Nosler custom competitions are the way to go for cheap plinkers and trigger time. Keep your eye out for sales on both blems and overruns at Shooters Pro Shop.

Also, since your new to AR, pay attention to your grip on your check down. A pistol grip makes it real easy to grip way too hard - especially if there are external stress factors
                              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                              X