• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keef
    Warrior
    • Jun 2017

Solo long range shooting tips.

I have a 100yrd range in my side yard woods.(where I normally shoot) With the peanuts coming out the the fields today I'll be able to do some 800yrd shooting. Not something I've done before. I have some 10inch steel plates and some large shoot n see targets. Looking for ideas to minimize the walking and driving across field to check targets and things that will make the day more productive. Will be using a 16" 6.5 and 3-18x scope. I've been thinking about making a board to hang skeet on.
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

spotting scope?
    camera system?
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Keef
      Warrior
      • Jun 2017

The spotting scope I have is a POS and the view is worse than my scope. I know nothing about camera systems, but it sounds interesting....

Comment

• mdram
        Warrior
        • Sep 2016

several diy on the net about making a camera system, or you can buy them
        just some targets for printing
        https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

Camera drone

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Keef View Post
            I have a 100yrd range in my side yard woods.(where I normally shoot) With the peanuts coming out the the fields today I'll be able to do some 800yrd shooting. Not something I've done before. I have some 10inch steel plates and some large shoot n see targets. Looking for ideas to minimize the walking and driving across field to check targets and things that will make the day more productive. Will be using a 16" 6.5 and 3-18x scope. I've been thinking about making a board to hang skeet on.
            Keef:

If possible, set up your shooting position with the sun behind you. If you are shooting prone, make triple sure that you have done something to keep dust and crap from obscuring your ability to see through your scope immediately following the shot. Put a tarp down or water the area thoroughly. The idea is for you to spot your trace through your rifle optic. The Grendel is a very slow cartridge and it is very possible to watch the trace through your optic given a solid position and if the sun is out and behind you.

Now, I know this will be a hassle but trust me on this one. Make a solid frame that allows for a target backer that is about 4 X 4 feet. Make sure the target is high enough that you can see it from your firing position. Face the target with white or very light beige or tan paper. You can put your large Shoot-N-See in the middle of it but I doubt you will see any holes so it will be more of an aiming point for you. Put the frame down range. If you want to be able to see the bullet holes (probably), put it at 300 yards. Past 300 yards and I am pretty sure you won't see any holes. You can probably get your zero without having to walk to the target if it is at 300.

Locating the steel in an open spot where you can see dirt kick up given a miss is a decent option. It is tricky to spot like that but it is better than seeing nothing when you miss. I would paint the steel white because when your bullet hits it, it will chip off some of the white paint leaving a dark scar that may be seen at 800 if you have good light, little mirage, and a decent scope. Hanging the steel so it moves when you hit it may be the only way you know you hit it at 800. Unless the steel is thin enough that you can hear it.

Put your come up on the carbine and get into a very firm and solid position. Dope your wind, take your shot. When you shoot at your steel target, look for your bullet trace and or splash. If you don't see anything in five shots, you will have to head down range to inspect. Might as well drag your paper target along in case you need to get a zero on paper again.

I know it is somewhat a PITA but might as well go through it because that way you will not have to waste time or money getting a zero you can trust.

LR55

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

Baby steps. If you've been limited to 100 yards or so, try starting around 300 or so you can learn to trust your dopes and then progressively move on out.
              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

Work your way out.

Impacts on steel, if you have a single hanger in the center, you can tell where your impact was by the way it swings. Twist left or right...you hit left or right of center, better than half way. Light swing back and forth, center to high. Heavy swing, hit low.

Walking the 800 yards, presuming you don't have to ford any rivers or very rough terrain, will give you some exercise, and give your rifle a chance to cool.

Spend the money on a spotting scope.

I am about to have an online "I was a dumbass online garage sale" that will have This Telescope listed for $150 shipped. Used once, not practical for multiple targets at a rifle match, or any other shooting that I do.
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• biodsl
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2011

I've been hoping that someone would test a Nikon P900 in a shooting/spotting situation. It has 83x optical zoom, plus digital, and the ability to shoot 1080p video. A solo shooter could record a shot or string of shots and then review the results.

I'm just hesitant to drop $600 before I have a chance to play with one and see if it would meet my needs. No one in my area rents them.

There are lots of videos demonstrating the zoom capabilities. Here's one example.
                  Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Keef
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2017

Thanks for the suggestions!

I spent my half day at work getting ready. Got a pallet and a couple 4x6 pieces of fresh cardboard to attach to it. I plan to start at 50yrds and work out to as far as I can. Should give me a good understanding of my drop along the way. Once I get farther out I plan to set up the shoot and see in the middle with steel plate below it. I'm pretty comfortable shooting deer at 150-250yrds(7.62x39). Looking forward to seeing what I can do with the 6.5G at longer distances.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Sticks View Post

Spend the money on a spotting scope.

I am about to have an online "I was a dumbass online garage sale" that will have This Telescope listed for $150 shipped. Used once, not practical for multiple targets at a rifle match, or any other shooting that I do.
                      ROFL!!

My name is NugginFutz and I, too, was a dumbass.

Sticks, if you've got kids and a decent view of the skies, keep the scope. I have a couple of telescopes, including the C90, and this one is quite convenient for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing.

For spotting? A pain to setup, depth of field is lacking, and is just way too cumbersome.

Cabelas recently opened a store nearby, and I picked up a sale priced Vortex HD scope ($500 vs, $900). While significantly more than the cost of the C90, it was well worth it! Field of view is much better, optics are clearer and is 1000% more convenient.

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                      I've been hoping that someone would test a Nikon P900 in a shooting/spotting situation. It has 83x optical zoom, plus digital, and the ability to shoot 1080p video. A solo shooter could record a shot or string of shots and then review the results.

I'm just hesitant to drop $600 before I have a chance to play with one and see if it would meet my needs. No one in my area rents them.

There are lots of videos demonstrating the zoom capabilities. Here's one example.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7ucG5RXA74
                      That is truly some awesome capability, but it is going to be limited where real-time spotting is concerned (shooter + spotter).

If, as the OP is going to do, you are shooting without the aid of a spotter, it may prove to be quite handy (provided your view screen is large enough and bright enough to give detail in sunlight).

On a side note - that camera is going to end up replacing my Nikon D3200 and assorted lenses. Waaaay too capable with just the single lens.
                      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

Thanks for the suggestions!

I spent my half day at work getting ready. Got a pallet and a couple 4x6 pieces of fresh cardboard to attach to it. I plan to start at 50yrds and work out to as far as I can. Should give me a good understanding of my drop along the way. Once I get farther out I plan to set up the shoot and see in the middle with steel plate below it. I'm pretty comfortable shooting deer at 150-250yrds(7.62x39). Looking forward to seeing what I can do with the 6.5G at longer distances.
                        Keef:

Save yourself some time. Put the paper at 300. Come up five minutes from your 100 yard zero and shoot. You will stay on the paper and if you are using the large Shoot N See, you will put a hole in it.

Once you are sure of your 300 zero, put the target at 500. Come up about 9 minutes and shoot. I will guarantee you a hit on the paper and probably the Shoot N See.

Once you are confident in your zero at 500, you can put the paper out to 800. You will have to come up around 16 minutes to get from 500 to 800 with most Grendel cartridges.

At 800 yards, I would probably opt for a plain sheet of white or very light colored paper without any shoot n see. If your background is very dark, you have a better chance of seeing a hole in a clean piece of light colored paper
                        at 500 and beyond than seeing the lime green hole in a Shoot N See.

As for doping winds with a Grendel, I liken it to doping winds for a M-14 firing the old 168 grain Match King. To 600 yards hold 1/2 minute per MPH of full value wind. From 600 to 1K, hold one minute per MPH of full value wind.

No need to get anal about the wind. I bet you know within a mph or two what 5, 10, 15, and 20 mph winds feel like and does in your fields. Trust yourself, figure out the direction quickly, hold off and shoot.

Sure, there are some nuances to the process and you can use more holds to get a bullet on the steel but this is the basic plan and although it is tedious, it works the first time.

Have fun and tell us how things went.

LR55

Comment

• Klem
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

A couple more ideas;
                          No need for a target if you just want to see the splash. Pick a nice large flat area where you can see dirt being kicked up. If there's snow on the ground the bullet disappears, but if it is thin then it's perfect. Brown dirt splash on a white background. Sand dunes are perfect too, especially if they are steep and facing you, You use the previous splash as the aiming point for the next shot. Dried-up clay lakes etc. If you are a land owner you can level a clean spot to see the splash or even push up a bit of a berm which presents a slightly more vertical target.

Or, if you have the time you can make a poor-man's electronic target with three pieces of plastic Corflute signage and two pieces of metal (aluminium) fly screen. One piece of signage acts as the insulator and as the bullet passes through it completes the circuit. You can use it to turn off and on a flashing light which you will see through the scope at that distance during the day, or with the naked eye at night.
                          Last edited by Klem; 10-21-2017, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• Keef
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2017

I was able to get out Saturday but not as early as expected. I got out of work late, then wife caught me with the DO list. Didn't get in the field till 4pm not the 12:30 I was planning.

I got my target set up and went to 100yrds. First shot in the bullseye(as a hunter this is most important to me). Second shot right next to it. Good start.

Next I set up at 200yrds and shot with no adjustments to scope or POA. Shots were almost perfect L-R but about 5.5inches low. It was so dusty I couldn't drive back to forth to target because with no wind the dust just lingered. If you've picked peanuts you know the dust I speak of.

Next I went out to 300yrds and dialed in 5moa up per LR55. He was pretty dang close. Round hit target about 3inchs low. I was able to clearly see the holes so that was nice. The bad part was I was running out of time so I didn't have time to change scope setting and try again.

After jogging 300yrds to and fro I drove out to 566yrds and shot my last set before dark. I put in LR55 9mins and shot 5. At this point I was kinda tired and was def breathing a little hard from the jog. Much to my surprise I had one almost perfect bulls eye and the other four were on the target. I was very happy. I wish I woulda had more time to take it slower and shoot more and take notes.(and to try wolf at same distances).

All in all it was fun and I learned something and I'm more confident. Next time I'll remember a chair so I don't have to sit on the side of the truck bed.

Thanks again. I'll put up pictures if I ever learn to resize pictures on the tablet.

Comment

• LR1955
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2011

I was able to get out Saturday but not as early as expected. I got out of work late, then wife caught me with the DO list. Didn't get in the field till 4pm not the 12:30 I was planning.

I got my target set up and went to 100yrds. First shot in the bullseye(as a hunter this is most important to me). Second shot right next to it. Good start.

Next I set up at 200yrds and shot with no adjustments to scope or POA. Shots were almost perfect L-R but about 5.5inches low. It was so dusty I couldn't drive back to forth to target because with no wind the dust just lingered. If you've picked peanuts you know the dust I speak of.

Next I went out to 300yrds and dialed in 5moa up per LR55. He was pretty dang close. Round hit target about 3inchs low. I was able to clearly see the holes so that was nice. The bad part was I was running out of time so I didn't have time to change scope setting and try again.

After jogging 300yrds to and fro I drove out to 566yrds and shot my last set before dark. I put in LR55 9mins and shot 5. At this point I was kinda tired and was def breathing a little hard from the jog. Much to my surprise I had one almost perfect bulls eye and the other four were on the target. I was very happy. I wish I woulda had more time to take it slower and shoot more and take notes.(and to try wolf at same distances).

All in all it was fun and I learned something and I'm more confident. Next time I'll remember a chair so I don't have to sit on the side of the truck bed.

Thanks again. I'll put up pictures if I ever learn to resize pictures on the tablet.
                              Keef:

As I said, kind of a PITA but it is pretty much foolproof.

LR55

Comment

Working...
                              X