X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AZBackcountry
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2016

Just an idea that works great. A local well driller installed several 1" thick 8" diameter steel casing pipes sticking 2 feet out of the ground at 300, 500, and 723 yards. They all have a 45* or better slope behind them. You can hear your hits, see your misses in the dirt and rock. The cool thing is when you hit on the right or left you'll also see dirt/dust move from the shards in a shotgun pattern coming off the rounded pipe face. The dirt is white limestone so some guys paint with orange blue-stake paint. It works best with a spotter with a 30X scope about 12 feet to your side. Bring several rifles and or friends with rifles so shots are from cooled barrels if you're practicing for hunting.

The area is open to the public which can be fun, humorous and exciting at times. A guy from Phoenix (Flat-lander) shot his brothers (local guy) Pro-Chrono last time we were there. A couple of years ago a guy cut his truck hood.

For doping I use the Applied Ballistic app on my Samsung cell phone. There is another name for the app on an Apple phone.
    Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

• IescapedCali
      Warrior
      • Sep 2017

If you've got access to a pair of iPhones and unlimited data (& who doesn't?), start a video call between them, prop one up near the target and the other at your shooting location. Should let you hear the hit, as well as see it.

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by IescapedCali View Post
        If you've got access to a pair of iPhones and unlimited data (& who doesn't?), start a video call between them, prop one up near the target and the other at your shooting location. Should let you hear the hit, as well as see it.
        This only works if you just happen to be within cell tower range. Here, in the southwest, cell towers aren't always near the places we like to shoot. Heck, I was at a restaurant in Madrid, NM, recently, and noticed I had "No Service" on my iPhone. A quick look the other tables around revealed nobody looking at their smartphones (a rarity, these days).

Otherwise, a good idea.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• HowaGrendel
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2017

My 2 cents on spotting scopes, I have a Nikon Monarch 16-42x80 and it is a decent scope for the money, BUT IMO you will spend $800 or more on what I would call a good spotting scope.....if you can afford spend $1200 because it will be worth it.... I would love to have the Nikon EDG Fieldscope...

Comment

• dega37
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2014

I would build a small berm at each distance you want to shoot, this will help you spot and catch your misses. Steel is definitely great and just get a can of spray paint. For paper these wireless target cameras are great, but pricey (plus don't shoot it) http://www.bullseyecamera.com

Comment

• zcostilla
              Warrior
              • Aug 2017

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
              If possible, set up your shooting position with the sun behind you.
              This means orient your station with the target stand to the north, with the target itself facing south. This keeps the sun at your back all day. Otherwise, you’ll only have part of the day with the sun at your back. If shooting to the north is not feasible, then you’ll need to choose the time of day when you’ll face the sun. The times when the sun is lowest in the horizon will be the worst for getting in your eyes.

Originally posted by dega37 View Post
              I would build a small berm at each distance you want to shoot, this will help you spot and catch your misses. Steel is definitely great and just get a can of spray paint. For paper these wireless target cameras are great, but pricey (plus don't shoot it)

if you want to use this, make sure you protect it with its own berm, and maybe bury a hard steel target in it to protect your investment. I’d recommend covering the target completely with dirt to avoid the temptation of shooting at it.
              Last edited by zcostilla; 01-09-2018, 08:40 AM. Reason: Clarity
              -Zac

Husband, Father, Veteran. Grateful for my redemption.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by zcostilla View Post
                [/FONT]
                Sure, if your 'friends' are shooting at it, dig it below ground level a bit. But if you've paid for it you'd have to be a bit odd to then deliberately shoot it.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• IescapedCali
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                    This is a brilliant idea - except I think I’ll use the iPoop as the target and watch the bullet sail in.

I don’t Facebook, but would it be possible to Facebook Live something like this and would you have access to the recording (provided they don’t censor it)?
                    When I have done Facebook live, people can tune in and watch live, and it asks if I want to archive the recording.

Also, some phones may be able to use wifi direct, and communicate with each other, in locations where cell coverage is nonexistent, but I doubt it has the range to stretch across the distances involved.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Also, some phones may be able to use wifi direct, and communicate with each other, in locations where cell coverage is nonexistent, but I doubt it has the range to stretch across the distances involved.
                      No, they do not.

I've looked at a couple of video over wifi solutions, and they final equation always seems to come out as ++$$$
                      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Sticks
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2016

Not without spending some decent money on antennas, boosters, and batteries. My multirotor, I put another $300 into the transmitter to receive the signal from the camera, and that only got me out to 2500 feet reliably (some days more, some less), and that was also at 350' AGL. Drop down to 3', and the signal just won't make it from the camera with out putting a booster and antenna on the top of it.

For the $500 you would spend on a DIY camera system, I'll walk or drive out to look at my target and give my barrel a chance to cool down.

Next option is getting some 1 MOA steel made for the range you want to shoot at.
                        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Keef
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2017

thanks for the ideas and for keeping the thread going!! I've recently gotten a camera with 40x optical and i think 60x digi. Going to give that a try now that hunting season is over.

Comment

• biodsl
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Keef View Post
                            thanks for the ideas and for keeping the thread going!! I've recently gotten a camera with 40x optical and i think 60x digi. Going to give that a try now that hunting season is over.
                            Keep us informed. I'm very interested in your results. Pictures would be great!
                            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Sticks
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Keef View Post
                              I've been pondering the same, but hands on with the camera at a store showed 10x to be a field of view with my naked eye, and this one went to 83x. Not sure that you would be able to pick up a .25" hole at 500 yards plus. Not ready to drop that kind of coin on something that I may occasionally use if it does not work for solo target spotting at long range.

They would not let me take it outside so I could look at something at a known distance to see what I could see.
                              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Keef
                                Warrior
                                • Jun 2017

I stopped by a field on the way to work this morning and snapped a pic of the pallet I put targets on from 750yrds. It was an overcast rainy day here, but the pic was still good, I think it will work. Need to send pics from cam to phone to resize then to here. The camera I used has 40x optical and 160x digital. Without a good tripod it would not have been possible to take the pic and I'm sure I can take a better pic with using the delay feature or my phone make camera work. Press the button makes it shake a little.

Comment

Working...
                                X