• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warp9764
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2017

Looking for a good stainless flash hider or compensator

I'm building my first AR and I've settled on the AA 18" lite barrel in stainless. Wanting to stay with the stainless theme, I'm looking for help to see what SS hider/compensator options are out there. Any suggestions, please?
  • rwh
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

There is a decent assortment at brownells, https://www.brownells.com/search/ind...rakes&psize=96. No idea if they are any good. I actually like target crowns.

Comment

• 65Whelen
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

I've got this one for sale $45 shipped. It's a great brake, my only problem, it has 6.8 engraved on it and I don't want the 6.8 on my 6.5.
      Last edited by 65Whelen; 10-21-2017, 03:16 AM.

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

How about Titanium and Stainless.

This has been awesome
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Lastrites
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

Originally posted by warp9764 View Post
          I'm building my first AR and I've settled on the AA 18" lite barrel in stainless. Wanting to stay with the stainless theme, I'm looking for help to see what SS hider/compensator options are out there. Any suggestions, please?
          AA barrel = 9/16x24 needed for threaded device unless an adapter is going to be used.

Comment

• warp9764
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2017

Thanks, all. Anyone here used one of these?
            Precision Firearms LMD Brake LMD- Level Muzzle Device for Normal Standard .740 Diameter Barrels. Typical AR Barrel. Tapered Muzzle end is .725". Large Diameter is .990". Length is 2 inches. This is our own in house machined Billet brake. Made from 416 Stainless. 11 Degree Target Crown. Top ports are off center to help with countering barrel torque. Includes Shim kit. Available in: For 223 Caliber - 1/2x28 For 224 Valkyrie Caliber - 5/8x24 For 6.5 Caliber - 5/8x24 For 6.5 Caliber -9/16x24 For 308 Caliber - 5/8x24 Cerakoted Stainless + $15 Phalanx (Black Nitride) +$10 Bead Blasted +$5

Comment

• 65Whelen
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

https://www.precisionfirearms.com/m8...-diameter.html
              Got one on my Creedmoor and put one on a buddy's Grendel. Very good brake. This is the one I want to put on my Grendel in stead of that 6.8 brake.

Comment

• Willfg
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2017

I went with this:

But almost did this one:

Experience superior recoil control with Precision Armament M41 Severe-Duty Muzzle Brake. Ideal for heavy bullets and fast twist rates.

Got a deal on the VG6 and its smaller and lighter.

But, i haven't finished my build yet so can't vouch for its effectiveness. thetruthaboutguns.com has a number of muzzle device "bake-off" articles that might be helpful to look at.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

https://www.precisionfirearms.com/m8...-diameter.html
                  I have one on my 18". Does a really good job with recoil and maintaining sight picture with a 3x12 Bushnell Elite LRTS on a bipod at the end of a 9" handguard. I would consider the concussion in the blast zone to be above average, but it's not obnoxious.
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Randy99CL
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

Getting my first AR build together and didn't know anything about muzzle devices other than shooting in the lane next to some is almost painful.

Just found out about some that are made to throw the sound and concussion forward away from the shooter. I think that's a great idea, I may try the micro version of this: KAK https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...aluminum-matte
                    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2016

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
                      Getting my first AR build together and didn't know anything about muzzle devices other than shooting in the lane next to some is almost painful.

Just found out about some that are made to throw the sound and concussion forward away from the shooter. I think that's a great idea, I may try the micro version of this: KAK https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...aluminum-matte
                      I have a Kaw Valley linear comp on my 300 BLK. Works great on sending noise down range. But does absolutely nothing for recoil / maintaining sight picture. Not an issue on that rifle since it is shot offhand and has a 1x red dot on it (Vortex Venom)
                      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• PVBoom
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Willfg View Post
                        I went with this:

But almost did this one:

Experience superior recoil control with Precision Armament M41 Severe-Duty Muzzle Brake. Ideal for heavy bullets and fast twist rates.

But, i haven't finished my build yet so can't vouch for its effectiveness. thetruthaboutguns.com has a number of muzzle device "bake-off" articles that might be helpful to look at.
                        Yeah, I was originally thinking max flash suppression. That led me to the Smith Enterprises Vortex. That was about $90. Then I decided I wanted compensation first and went with a VG6 Gamma. If they had the Epsilon in 6.5 size, I would have gone for it. It was also about $40 cheaper. Right now it's waiting for assembly...

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Willfg View Post
                          I went with this:

But almost did this one:

[Edited - I had the wrong MB pictured in my head, apologies and corrections] JoeBob's has voodoo Innovations on sale for $49... I use a couple of them and like them, plus price is right.
                          but you need to make sure your choice has the 9/16-24 threading...
                          Also, using a 7.62 or a 6.5 makes only about a 1% difference according to the MB tests I read online - those writeups are pretty good.

On one rifle I used a 9/16-24--5/8-24 adapter (precision armament) but then used the 7.62 version of the MB to ensure that tolerance stacking would not cause me a problem.

On the noise vs recoil suppression, it's a physics thing... downrange comp=more recoil less sound. side discharge=less recoil and more noise. The only MB that really got to me was the M4-72 MB... recoil was next to nil but the "blast wash" blowing back to my face was not comfortable. Not dangerous but just not comfortable with it. They took it back no problem when I emailed them, so thumbe up to those guys.
                          Last edited by grayfox; 11-10-2017, 04:19 PM.
                          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Irbuff
                            Bloodstained
                            • Aug 2017

So is the vg6 pretty good as far as little blow back in your face? The noise doesn't matter to me as I will be shooting with ear pro on anyways.

Comment

• grayfox
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2017

(I need to edit and apologize - I had the Voodoo Innovations MB in mind vice the vg6... it's similar to but not the same as the vg6... again my apologies!)
                              Last edited by grayfox; 11-10-2017, 04:18 PM.
                              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X