Clear All
  • ty_hooper12
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

Hunting Ammo Suggestions

• VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Federal has the 120 grain fusion which get good reviews in other calibers. Alexander Arms sells 6.5 Grendel, more expensive than Hornady 123 grain SST but you could probably get by with a couple of boxes. Precision Firearms sells ammo and is supposedly going to have 6.5 Grendel ammo loaded with the Nosler 129 grain ABLR (Accu Bond Long Range).

Ammo loaded with Barnes 120 grain TSX/TTSX and 100 grain TTSX get good reviews.

Custom AR-15 Rifles, Custom Uppers, Custom Lower, 6.5 Grendel, AR15, AR 15, AR-15, AR15 upper, custom upper, Lilja, DPMS, Precision, Precision Firearms, Precision-firearms, percision firearms, custom upper, custom ar, custom ar15, barrels, rifle barrels, Shilen, CAA, Command Arms, Yankee Hill, Yankee Hill Machine, 204 ruger, .204 ruger, 223 wyld
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 10-21-2017, 03:46 AM.

Comment

• Aged1
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2017

On a pig hunt Thursday eve i did a twofer... 100 grain Barnes ttsx penetrated two hogs; #1 about 90 lbs., #2 about 60 lbs.. never saw #2 until we had examined the “target” and discovered #2 about 15’ from ground zero. #1 died right there with a shoulder hit. #2 was also a shoulder hit, but have no idea how far it was separated from #1 at impact event.
      Details:
      load: behind 100g Barnes was 27.8g of Tactical Rifle, ignited by federal match primer. New load that day with a new powder. Bought powder and primers at a hazmat holiday in June... at 100 yards the results were “clover leaf”.....looks promising. Only loaded 10 for the hunt as my procrastination had consumed my time. But went afield very confident.
      Gun: Ruger lower with velocity trigger update...like the trigger lots. Upper; by Grendel Hunter with 20” bbl. everything i have shot with this upper has been very good to excellent....EXCEPT some 118b cavity back bullets making patterns not groups and with no time left early afternoon on the day (i know i know) load samples testing (i shoot from my porch) I loaded the Barnes bullets because of previous success.
      Sight: 3-12 hog hunter. This sight has a 56mm objective lense which lengthens the day, but for dark night shot the selectable red dot reticle makes shot placement child’s play. Shot taken at about 100 yards about 8:00 PM. My hosts have a deadly set up. Feeders have solar powered motion activated lights....ride up to shot location in my golf cart with built in shoot rest, wait for light to come on, pick target.. success..fun.
      This be Texas, and if you haven’t heard, we have a hog problem, a big problem. My hosts carry AR in 300 blackout suppressed. But they were impressed with my “long” deadly 6.5 Grendel shot.

Comment

• ty_hooper12
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

Comment

• Joseph5
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

The 123gr SST ammo has been very successful for me.

Comment

• Ed Baker
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2016

Agree, for factory ammo, the 123 SST is hard to beat.......that is if you can find it.

Comment

• Crews
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2017

Comment

• Coty
                Unwashed
                • Sep 2015

I'm a fan of the 123gr SST Hornady also. I've hunted 3 years with Barnes ballistic tips. Killed 12+ deer and 10 hogs with them. They drilled right through and didn't expand in South Texas whitetails or even the hogs. I changed to the 123gr SST and saw a noticable difference. They expanded and left a larger exit wound. I tend to go for a heart/lung shot behind the shoulder, so not to damage meat. The SST worked well for me.

Comment

• HowaGrendel
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2017

I like bullets that don't exit and use all the energy on the animal....Sierra BTHP's.....

Comment

• ty_hooper12
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

If I could get some of the American Gunner BTHPs, how would those do?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ty_hooper12 View Post
                      If I could get some of the American Gunner BTHPs, how would those do?
                      That's a HPBT target bullet, probably not intended for hunting.

I know people who hunt with HPBTs in 6mm and .308 with DRT results, but I personally like to use expanding bullets designed for hunting.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ty_hooper12
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        That's a HPBT target bullet, probably not intended for hunting.

I know people who hunt with HPBTs in 6mm and .308 with DRT results, but I personally like to use expanding bullets designed for hunting.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

If you look through the hunting survey, you can see some trends in what people have used and what type of game they have shot, what the game weighed, distance to the shot, and distance the animal traveled after being shot.

123gr and 120gr are the most common bullets used, with several hundred samples of 123gr results, followed by dozens of 120gr samples.

The 120gr numbers will probably rise with the introduction of the new Federal 120gr Fusion load, but I think Hornady is poised to have most of the market with the 123gr SST.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                          X