• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TKO
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2017

Lightweight Hunter Build

Finished up my first Grendel build: a lightweight hunter with a 16" AA fluted barrel.

I am going with a "one bullet for everything" mentality for this rifle and will be launching 129 grain Nosler ABLR's.

• jurassic
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Looks good!

Comment

• worthen86ford
      Warrior
      • May 2016

So what's in the vise bro?

Comment

• TKO
        Bloodstained
        • Feb 2017

Didn't realize that my .300 AAC was photobombing the Grendel. LOL

It's an eight inch barrel, 1 in 7" twist, Superlative Arms adjustable gas block (same on Grendel) that shoots way better than it has a right to. Very handy and very quiet with the Thunderbeast Ultra 7 attached.

I use it to eradicate groundhogs quietly on a local golf course while people are playing. The course owner had the little guys chew the wiring on the underside of the truck, so he called me in. It's a hoot. I ride around in a golf cart, spot a varmint, pull over, wait till the coast is clear and "pew". 220 Nosler subsonic takes care of business. Got 20 so far this summer. LOL

Comment

• worthen86ford
          Warrior
          • May 2016

Ok that explains the optic too then. Little odd looking to me at first.

Comment

• TKO
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2017

Yeah, the 300 normally wears a red dot.

Comment

• Six5x39
              Warrior
              • Sep 2017

I had aimpoint pro for yrs on my 300blk .. I recently got primary arms 300blk BDC scope n it's been hella fun

Comment

• ty_hooper12
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

Great looking grendel! What can is that? Sorry if you said it and I missed it

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

Seeeexy!! Range report!!

Comment

• PVBoom
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by TKO View Post

Didn't realize that my .300 AAC was photobombing the Grendel. LOL

It's an eight inch barrel, 1 in 7" twist, Superlative Arms adjustable gas block (same on Grendel) that shoots way better than it has a right to. Very handy and very quiet with the Thunderbeast Ultra 7 attached.
                    Um, yeah. I saw that pic and said "If that's 16 inches, I use my dick as a belt"

Nice little exterminator there.

Comment

• TKO
                      Bloodstained
                      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by ty_hooper12 View Post
                      Great looking grendel! What can is that? Sorry if you said it and I missed it
                      Thanks!

Thunder Beast Ultra 7. 9.7 ounces of titanium goodness.

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
                      Seeeexy!! Range report!!
                      Thanks.

Hoping to hit the range today if the rain holds off.

Originally posted by PVBoom View Post
                      Um, yeah. I saw that pic and said "If that's 16 inches, I use my dick as a belt"

Nice little exterminator there.
                      Thanks.

Do the belt loops hurt? LOL

Comment

• ty_hooper12
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2017

Comment

• TKO
                          Bloodstained
                          • Feb 2017

I threw a 2x12x44 scope on the Grendel this morning . . . she looks better with glass on her I think:

I fired 20 shots of 29.0 grains to season the virgin bore and then got to work.

Did a couple of ladder tests with 29.3 through 31.0 grains of CFE223 under the aforemention Nosler 129 ACBLR in fresh Lapua brass lit off by a CCI mag primer:

30.8 and 31.0 looked like a good place to delve deeper and delve I did with a five shot group of 30.8 grains.

Best group I have ever fired from a rifle that wasn't built for benchrest competition. Hard to measure but it appears to be 0.415 across the widest outside points so 0.415-0.264= 0.151" ctr to ctr. I know I will never repeat it, but I am pretty sure that this combo is good for 0.5 MOA ctr to ctr or better all day everyday!

The Thunderbeast did a great job, too. Shot everything without muffs.

I am smiling like a little kid!

Lightweight, portable and accurate. What's not to love? Dirty brass. LOL
                          CFE223 is some nasty, dirty stuff running a suppressor.

Didn't chronograph anything as there was a light off and on drizzle. Nosler says 2507 fps with 31.0 grains, but that is with a 24" barrel. I have no idea how much velocity I will loose with the 16", (any WAG's) but the chronograph will flesh that out for me.

Comment

• Six5x39
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2017

pew pew . sounds like fun time at the range .

Comment

• biodsl
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by TKO View Post
                              Did a couple of ladder tests with 29.3 through 31.0 grains of CFE223 under the aforemention Nosler 129 ACBLR in fresh Lapua brass lit off by a CCI mag primer:

30.8 and 31.0 looked like a good place to delve deeper and delve I did with a five shot group of 30.8 grains.

Best group I have ever fired from a rifle that wasn't built for benchrest competition. Hard to measure but it appears to be 0.415 across the widest outside points so 0.415-0.264= 0.151" ctr to ctr. I know I will never repeat it, but I am pretty sure that this combo is good for 0.5 MOA ctr to ctr or better all day everyday!
                              Congratulations! That could be the best 129 ABLR with CFE223 we've seen on the forum. What overall length did you load to?
                              Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

Working...
                              X