• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HowaGrendel
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2017

Found a load.....

Sierra 120 BTHP, 26 grains TAC, 450 primers, Hornady brass....Howa Mini Action 6.5 Grendel in a MDT Chassis and Bushnell Elite FFP 6x24....a .087DSCN0424.JPG
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Outstanding

Comment

• HowaGrendel
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2017

Thanks......I may never repeat it, but I did it once.....lol....

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

Great shooting. 3 shots?

Comment

• jpistolero02
          Unwashed
          • Aug 2017

Comment

• SDguy
            Warrior
            • Oct 2015

Congratulations on some fine shooting. What barrel contour? How many shot string?

Comment

• HowaGrendel
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2017

Howa mini action 20 inch heavy barrel.....98 rounds through rifle so far....I shot a total of 36 rounds test loads yesterday....

Comment

• SDguy
                Warrior
                • Oct 2015

Try again How many shots in that fine group?

Comment

• HowaGrendel
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2017

3 shots....I have 10 more of the same loads ready for this coming weekend....I will try 5 shots and see what happens...

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by HowaGrendel View Post
                    Sierra 120 BTHP, 26 grains TAC, 450 primers, Hornady brass....Howa Mini Action 6.5 Grendel in a MDT Chassis and Bushnell Elite FFP 6x24....a .087[ATTACH=CONFIG]9996[/ATTACH]
                    HG:

Said it many times. If a 120 Sierra won't shoot very well, with almost any load, something is wrong with the barrel.

I have gotten excellent and consistent accuracy from every powder that is safe for a Grendel when shooting that bullet.

Our normal load of TAC with the 120 Match King was 28 or 28 1/2 grains.

LR55

Comment

• JASmith
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2014

Regarding the three shots, my Dad complained about how Grandpa would take the boys out hunting, knock over the rabbit or whatever with one shot, then put his rifle away for the day. The "boys" would then spend the rest of the day and lots of ammunition to try to equal that one shot. They rarely succeeded.

One can make two observations:
                      1. He had become mildly bored with shooting and need the one shot to keep skills up
                      2. He wanted to set a performance mark for his sons to strive for.

The other possibility was "He knew how to quit when he was ahead!"
                      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                        Regarding the three shots, my Dad complained about how Grandpa would take the boys out hunting, knock over the rabbit or whatever with one shot, then put his rifle away for the day. The "boys" would then spend the rest of the day and lots of ammunition to try to equal that one shot. They rarely succeeded.

One can make two observations:
                        1. He had become mildly bored with shooting and need the one shot to keep skills up
                        2. He wanted to set a performance mark for his sons to strive for.

The other possibility was "He knew how to quit when he was ahead!"
                        I have many times taken 3 shots and then decided the fourth would only make things worse, so I quit that group.

HG. still the best group I've seen. A ten shot group would be impressive. I think you have it shooting well enough to go for 10.

Comment

• HowaGrendel
                          Bloodstained
                          • Sep 2017

very true......I am still gonna see what I can do with five shots.....I don't know when to quit...lol

Comment

• Troutguide
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2017

Nice I will keep that pill in mind when I start reloading for my HB Mini.
                            "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• JASmith
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                              I have many times taken 3 shots and then decided the fourth would only make things worse, so I quit that group.

HG. still the best group I've seen. A ten shot group would be impressive. I think you have it shooting well enough to go for 10.
                              At the risk of sounding pedantic, statistics will tell us that ten shot groups are larger than 5-shot groups.

That also explains why the zero seems to change when shooting 3 or 5 shot groups on different days.

So I advocate shooting small number groups on different days and tracking group centers. The center of the macro group is much closer to one's true zero.

Hunters should also track the impact point of the first shot each time on tihe range. The center of the collected first shots is close to the "zero" one will see on the field.
                              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

Working...
                              X