• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soloelcap
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2017

12x scope Max

I've been shooting the new NRA Mid Range (prone) Tactical Rifle (AR) for the first season of its conception. I have a question that our match director fails to address and I'd like to know if any other clubs that have integrated this match are dealing with this 12x Max optic rule. Competitors are showing up higher power scopes and supposedly turning them down to 12x.

The NRA rule states: Sights- Telescopic sights, either fixed or variable, not to exceed 12x Magnification.

I read this rule as 12x Max, not any power of scope turned down to 12x. Of course the guy who shows up with the $2,500.+,20x+ optic doesn't see any reason why he can't just turn it down to 12x and compete on the same level as the guys shooting 12x max scopes.

Any thoughts or experience with this at your NRA High Power events.
    NRA Mid Range Tactical Prone High Master, NRA High Power Rifle Master, NRA F-Class Mid Range Expert, Master of the Stone
  • Arkhangel5
    Warrior
    • Apr 2016

Solo,
    Valid question. At the start of this NRA class, there was not a big selection of 12x Max power scopes. And the ones availabe were not ideal for match shooting. There are simply more options available to the average shooter to ever limit themselves to 12, aside from wanting to shoot in this class of competition.

My club's solution to this set to the competitor's scope to 12X and then put a piece of tape to it. Then we depend on the honor system to keep things even.

I have 12x max scopes, one is a Bushnell Banner 4-12x hunting scope and the other is a Weaver Kaspa Tactical 3-12x model. I bought these as a way to test the waters without laying out a lot of cash for a provisional division of shooting. This division is also what led me to building a Grendel.

Both of these scopes are very cheap, but so far they have held up. The Kaspa has nearly 1k rounds under it from the Grendel and recently has been used for my 6.5Creedmoor testing. The Bushnell was around $80 delivered and is useful for the Grendel even with a thick duplex reticle.

I would have been happy with the Bushnell if I hadnt gotten the Kaspa on clearance. I prefer the Kaspa because the reticle lines are thinner then the Bushnell. The Kaspa was gotten for $110.

Now after 2 seasons of Ar Tact, there are more options in the scope department available. I have been eyeing the Leupold VX6 HD 2-12. because of the power range, HD glass and the weight ~16oz.

Going forward they will settle on firm rules and we will see where the NRA goes from there.

SY

Comment

• soloelcap
      Bloodstained
      • Jun 2017

SY,

Midway offers (89) 10x and (110) 10.5 to 12x Max power scopes, more than a few are suitable for match shooting.

I have the Weaver Kaspa 3-12 Tactical and a Vortex Viper 4-12, both work well at 600 and I believe meet the Interpretive Intent of this new class.

The rule is cut and dry." Not to exceed" are powerful words. I really don't see anywhere in b. 3.3.3 in the NRA rule book that says any telescopic with it set at 12x and taped or whatever you guys want to do at a sanctioned match is "ok"

I sold higher power scopes to by 12x max power scopes for this match. If I would have read words into the rule that are not there I could have just pulled a 32x power off my F-Open rig and taped it, the optical quality at 12x probably surpasses any 12x max scope out there.

I believe the NRA made this rule for a reason to keep this from being another form of F-Class just like the rules say. The NRA put the Interpretive Intent rule in the book also for a reason. Just kinda of bummer to see this match become F-Open shooting at a MR-1 target.

Thanks for the insight and your experience.
      NRA Mid Range Tactical Prone High Master, NRA High Power Rifle Master, NRA F-Class Mid Range Expert, Master of the Stone

Comment

• Arkhangel5
        Warrior
        • Apr 2016

Solo,
        I think you missed the intent of my post.

I said at the launch of the class, there was not a big selection of 12x max power scopes available.

As a competition shooter, I will look the options available to me in the max power allowed in competition. Yes I could have used a 10X power and had more options available, but I wanted a 12x. Anything for an advantage.

So my club came up with taping the scope at 12x as a way to get more shooters to come out and test the waters.

And as a provisional class, the NRA is looking at the feedback provided and the rules as they are now, will be tweaked to try increase the shooter pool.

Understand, I only shoot this division because it is different from F-Class, F Class all the time. I wanted something I didnt have to do as 'much' match prep as is req'd for F class.

For me is just a change of pace. Most of the AR Tac shooters at my club are from F-class. And the scores are high at my club, so it gets competitive, club record is like 600-45x

Going forward I think there will be a target change, most of our F-class shooters think of the MR1 target as the 'big' target, even with a 12x scope.

Good or bad, that is what competition does, it makes people strive to be the best at whatever it is they are doing.

SY

Comment

Working...
        X