Current 6mm Grendel barrel makers: BHW, McGowen and who else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

The one I found in stock was a 24" 1:8 twist 243 LBC Heavy barrel.

I'm using the Redding Grendel S type bushing die with a .268 bushing for factory Hornady brass. Literally take new brass, pass it through once and done.

I also use a .266 bushing for some brass that I neck turned thinking I would have to, to eliminate the "donut". Turns out it wasn't required with Hornady brass.

The simplicity of it all is what kept me from trying the 6mmAR 40 Turbo. The extra few fps isn't worth the hastle to me. It's just way to simple to convert Grendel to 6mmAR.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

That's frigging nuts... checked again and it's gone!!

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

You guys are evil. Here I am hoping I picked up a viable competition round, (admitingly not the best) and kept in an AR15 frame, then you introduce me to this.

Gonna have to sit back and watch, then when my Barlitien barrel goes, and the Howa goes, maybe I'll make the switch, then the next hotrod round will come out.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

A good friend of mine designed and built his own wildcat off the WSSM case just for that reason of making sure even the most inexperienced RO would see or hear the hits.

7mm Micro pushing 195gr EOL Berger at around 2600-2650fps.

Makes the plates try to wrap around the hangar bar.

Feels like shooting a 7mm-08 to me, but there is way more case capacity than a 7mm-08 or .308 Win.

Running Grendel brass through a sizing die down to 6mm shouldn't be too hard.

I've been wanting to build a 6mm AR for a while now.

The main reason I haven't yet is that it's so easy to buy Grendel factory ammo and load Grendel brass.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• soloelcap
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2017

I have a McGowen 6mm Grendel 20" 1-7 twist mid weight barrel that I bought from Scott at Specialized Dynamics. Shoots the 105 Hybrids and 87 V-max very well with CFE, I haven't tried the Sierra 95 TMK's yet in this barrel. I'm running the 105's at 2615 fps with CFE and getting 3/8" groups at 100 yrds. I shot a NRA HPR Mid range prone tactical match with this barrel and 105 Hybrids a couple weeks ago, shot a Master score with the best relay 197-6x, last relay in varying winds.

You should be happy with the McGowen Custom at that price and the longer barrel will give you more speed the heavy bullets.

I ordered a Custom 6mm Grendel, 1-7 twist HBAR contour .875" journal, rifle gas, target crown, 20" from them a few weeks ago when they started the special discount.
            NRA Mid Range Tactical Prone High Master, NRA High Power Rifle Master, NRA F-Class Mid Range Expert, Master of the Stone

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
              Warrior
              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by StoneHendge
              . . . consider yourself as having an open invitation of you ever find yourself working your way towards the passes on I70.
              Indeed, a very special place to meet friends --- and one of my favorite haunts, some years ago ---

(The Continental Divide, about 13,500 feet, just north of the Eisenhower Tunnel, I-70, carrying a Remington 660, 6mm Remington.)

Comment

• Cornbread
                Warrior
                • Dec 2015

Originally posted by SHORT-N-SASSY View Post
                Indeed, a very special place to meet friends --- and one of my favorite haunts, some years ago ---

(The Continental Divide, about 13,500 feet, just north of the Eisenhower Tunnel, I-70, carrying a Remington 660, 6mm Remington.)
                Man I love them old dog leg bolts. Great little rifles. Packs some womp in 350 rem mag.

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

...Plan on working up 70 gr FB Tipped Varmageddons for use on p-dogs out to 600 yards for that upper (yes, I found a dogtown where I can park my truck, pitch my tent and rain lead down from a hillside from 500-700 yards away - give the buggers a fighting chance against my wind calls!). ....
                  I may have to come pay you a social call.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

The Anderson upper the 6mm was planned to go into just got ordered a BHW 6X45 1X10 24 STD/R 1/2 BLK ordered from True Sporting Arms for $93.75 shipped. Plan on working up 70 gr FB Tipped Varmageddons for use on p-dogs out to 600 yards for that upper (yes, I found a dogtown where I can park my truck, pitch my tent and rain lead down from a hillside from 500-700 yards away - give the buggers a fighting chance against my wind calls!). Did a lot of research and back and forth and those should hit the Varmageddons 1600 fps expansion threshold right past 600 yds with a relatively conservative MV of 2900 fps. Not easy to find an AR barrel which risks over stabilizing thin jacketed bullets...... especially for 94 bucks! Plenty of 223 brass on hand.....
                    Last week I ordered the BHW/Columbia 6X45 1X9 18 B/R TC MACH for $91.25 shipped.
                    Today, I bought five uppers, a BCG and some gas blocks and gas tubes for other builds.
                    Don't need no muzzle break for the target crown.
                    I plan to put a schedule 40 handguard on this build.

I bought some RCBS 6x45 dies from Midway this week as well as 3 different types of 6mm bullets.

The extra upper I bought is reserved for the group buy of the 6mm AR turbo improved.
                    Last edited by bj139; 12-22-2017, 02:48 AM.

Comment

• Popeye212
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2018

Yeah well this thread is gonna make a hit on my bank account. I have a new extra Grendel BCG coming an extra stock,gas block...This is not good. Was looking at the Valkrie but I don't think so. Seems to a be problem with accuracy.

Comment

• hill37
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2017

I've heard group buy mentioned lots but nothing but nothing about getting one organized. If I wasn't web challenged I would try.

Comment

• Popeye212
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2018

The way it looks I may order one from Mcgowen at the end of August. My son has .224 AI and his is working well but it was over the 10 week wait time.

Comment

• grayfox
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                            Last week I ordered the BHW/Columbia 6X45 1X9 18 B/R TC MACH for $91.25 shipped.
                            Today, I bought five uppers, a BCG and some gas blocks and gas tubes for other builds.
                            Don't need no muzzle break for the target crown.
                            I plan to put a schedule 40 handguard on this build.

I bought some RCBS 6x45 dies from Midway this week as well as 3 different types of 6mm bullets.

The extra upper I bought is reserved for the group buy of the 6mm AR turbo improved.
                            1/9 or 1/10 or which other... one of my questions is what twist rate is preferred. I was -- idly -- looking at a 20" barrel but still not quite ready to pull the trigger. Or the 6mm mongoose, which I think is a 6mm Grendel wildcat.
                            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• StoneHendge
                              Chieftain
                              • May 2016

I would order a 243 LBC from BHW. On their website they will tell you why you don't need to check headspace.

If you order from McGowen and call them to confirm they headspaced to a 0.136" bolt after you receive your barrel, they will tell you yes, but that you should check the headspace yourself. If you don't because you feel it is a barrel makers responsibility to make sure they headspace a barrel properly, you may have explosions very close to your face. Then things like misdrilled gas ports and hack job muzzle threading don't seem like that big of a deal.
                              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                                1/9 or 1/10 or which other... one of my questions is what twist rate is preferred. I was -- idly -- looking at a 20" barrel but still not quite ready to pull the trigger. Or the 6mm mongoose, which I think is a 6mm Grendel wildcat.
                                Here is a chart from RCBS.

Comment

Working...
                                X