• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bowhntr6pt
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

Where are the range reports?

With all those 20" barrels delivered, where are the build pics and range reports...?

Looking forward to some range reports so as to get a better consensus on the 20" barrel's overall performance.

I think we've seen what two, maybe three reports, including mine.
  • Lastrites
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

The one day I shot mine, it was very similar to yours and admittedly I was having a bit a of trouble staying wobble free. Will post more after I rebuild it tomorrow or Wednesday as the barrel should be back from the factory by then.

Honestly I was wondering the same thing too, how are the others grouping.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
      Warrior
      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
      The one day I shot mine, it was very similar to yours and admittedly I was having a bit a of trouble staying wobble free. Will post more after I rebuild it tomorrow or Wednesday as the barrel should be back from the factory by then.

Honestly I was wondering the same thing too, how are the others grouping.
      No one likes to post disappointing results... I hope that's not the case with these builds and the apparent lack of feedback.

While my 1.5" initial outing with the ELD was not the best, it's not really that bad considering it was an initial run with limited ammo choices... LOTS of room for potential improvement when you consider the countless reloading options out there.

So... post em up guys...

Comment

• lrgrendel
        Warrior
        • Jul 2013

Which 20” barrel are you talking about?

Originally posted by Bowhntr6pt View Post
        With all those 20" barrels delivered, where are the build pics and range reports...?

Looking forward to some range reports so as to get a better consensus on the 20" barrel's overall performance.

I think we've seen what two, maybe three reports, including mine.

Comment

• Lastrites
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
          Which 20” barrel are you talking about?
          Faxon group buy 20" barrels.

Comment

• GSPHunter
            Warrior
            • Jun 2014

Hi Bowhntr,

My build is pretty simple, a hogue overmolded handguard, cheap adjustable GB, barrel bedded with locktite and a $10 thread protector. I've only done a little shooting in the back yard over the chronograph, but so far I'm really happy. Wolf steel is running 1.25 to 1.75 MOA and my go-to load of 27.9gn AR-Comp with 129 ABLR is looking like .75MOA (2420FPS SD=9) Hopefully I'll get a chance to do a bit more shooting this weekend and really see what's up, but so far so good :-) The barrel seems a little overgassed to me, but other than a little swiping with the handloads ran fine.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
              Warrior
              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by GSPHunter View Post
              Hi Bowhntr,

My build is pretty simple, a hogue overmolded handguard, cheap adjustable GB, barrel bedded with locktite and a $10 thread protector. I've only done a little shooting in the back yard over the chronograph, but so far I'm really happy. Wolf steel is running 1.25 to 1.75 MOA and my gotto load of 27.9gn AR-Comp with 129 ABLR is looking like .75MOA (2420FPS SD=9) Hopefully I'll get a chance to do a bit more shooting this weekend and really see what's up, but so far so good :-) The barrel seems a little overgassed to me, but other than a little swiping with the handloads ran fine.
              That's good to hear... thanks for the input especially the hand load info. I got very minor swipes running the suppressor with the ELD's... ejection went from about 3:00 unsuppressed to about 5:30 suppressed...

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

I haven't been able to get mine shooting due to Moscow Match reloading, Ballistic Advantage build and squirrel hunting.

I will try to get out this week to break it in.

Comment

• howl
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2015

I posted mine in the group buy thread. Thumb sized group with SST factory load.

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by howl View Post
                    I posted mine in the group buy thread. Thumb sized group with SST factory load.
                    Did you break in the barrel any way or did it shoot thumb sized groups from the first?

Comment

• howl
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2015

What is this break in you speak of? Ha. I just shot several rounds of Wolf to get the scope close, then cleaned it and shot a couple 3-round groups of Hornady. That was with a bulls bag and no rear rest. (MFT Minimalist is a nuisance on the bench.) Stiff polymer trigger, too. When my wife was shooting it to finalize her zero, she was getting about 1.5". I told her that was pretty good for someone who can't shoot. Double ha. Really, her groups were wider, but not taller. That probably means the variance was her due to her unruly bench technique.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

How big are your thumbs? Ha.

Comment

• Lastrites
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

Quiet morning on the range as I had to get my re-build sighted in again. Tight cluster at 50 with 5 shots literally touching, using Amax factory basically to foul the barrel and to get close to sighted as I am running out of it and seems Hornady decided to drop that line. Then to 100 and it opened up to averaging about inch, few wider and couple bit tighter with both Amax & eld-m factory. Conditions were breezy with 10mph steady and gusts to 17mph, oh and about 20oz less coffee. Ringed brass is a thing of the past as Faxon honing the chamber seemed to resolve that issue completely. Kudos to Faxon for turning this repair around in a mere 5 days or less as it and my Odin are heading out of town in 10 days for a short hunting trip!

Now the odd thing related to the 16" Odin, shot point of aim at 50 maybe favoring a 1/4" low and when I went to 100 it shot point of aim again, tight 1" group with eld-m. When last week I had noticed it was pretty much spot on at 50, took it to hundred and for the first 3 shots it was bwtn 1.5" to 2" high of poa then the last 3 rounds it shot poa. At that time I figured that my drinking a good amount of coffee may have had something to do with it. This one is making me scratch my noggin. All factory brass and with one cleaning from my original sighting weeks ago and no cleaning since with about 60 rounds through it since the last cleaning.

Last edited by Lastrites; 10-29-2017, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• 65Whelen
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2014

My 20" GB upper was shooting all over the place the first 40 or so round. But it starting to settle in. This afternoon I got a couple sub-moa groups, doing some load development. 30.4g of CFE-223 with the 129 Nosler ABLR look promising.
                            Howl, your right about the Minimalist stock on the bench, what a pain. I've been resting the bottom of the pistol grip on a wooden block. Not ideal.
                            Last edited by 65Whelen; 10-30-2017, 01:44 AM.

Comment

• 243chris
                              Bloodstained
                              • Mar 2017

Last edited by 243chris; 12-01-2017, 06:25 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Working...
                              X