• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TKO
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2017

129 Grain Accubond LR Load Developement

Kind of a cross post but I got my new build to the range today and worked up a load with Nosler ACBLR.

Details of load development here:

Finished up my first Grendel build: a lightweight hunter with a 16" AA fluted barrel. I am going with a "one bullet for everything" mentality for this rifle and will be launching 129 grain Nosler ABLR's.

Ladder Testing:

2n8r3v6.jpg

Five Shot Group

11tstbp.jpg
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Looks like you dialed that bad boy in.

Distance and load for the second pic?

ETA: Looks like 30.8gr of CFE223.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Mad Charlie
      Warrior
      • May 2017

Thanks for posting! I too have pretty much decided on the 129 ABLR for my purposes. So far I have been working up with CFE 223 to find the pressure limit in MY chambers. I have a short range in my side yard to test for such things as pressure signs, velocity, and function, but it is only 20 yds to the back stop. That kind of limits my accuracy testing. So far I am up to 31.2gr with no signs of over-pressure that I can detect with a loupe and micrometer. I am nowhere near my notes right now, but I seem to remember that 30.8 was giving me some pretty consistent numbers from both of my Grendel's also

Comment

• TKO
        Bloodstained
        • Feb 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        Looks like you dialed that bad boy in.

Distance and load for the second pic?

ETA: Looks like 30.8gr of CFE223.
        100 Yards

30.8 gr of CFE223 (vibrated to settle)
        Brand new Lapua brass right out of the box . . . no prep
        CCI 450 primers
        Light crimp (Lee Factory Crimp Die)
        Shot through a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 .30 cal suppressor

Originally posted by Mad Charlie View Post
        Thanks for posting! I too have pretty much decided on the 129 ABLR for my purposes. So far I have been working up with CFE 223 to find the pressure limit in MY chambers. I have a short range in my side yard to test for such things as pressure signs, velocity, and function, but it is only 20 yds to the back stop. That kind of limits my accuracy testing. So far I am up to 31.2gr with no signs of over-pressure that I can detect with a loupe and micrometer. I am nowhere near my notes right now, but I seem to remember that 30.8 was giving me some pretty consistent numbers from both of my Grendel's also
        30.8 was very consistent in my gun.

SD was 5 fps
        ES was 11 (would have been single digit if not for one round that wouldn't get with the program)
        Just over 2300 at the muzzle
        In my gun I just started to notice a little primer flattening at 31.0 grains.

Comment

• lrgrendel
          Warrior
          • Jul 2013

Very nice shooting!

Yes, CFE seems to be the “go to” powder for 130 gr bullets....

Comment

• ThunderStick
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2017

CCI 400
            Hornady brass
            CFE223 31.2gr
            Nosler AB129LR
            COL 2.27 in.

Howa mini, no pressure signs, <moa

I hope to put it on hair soon!

- Keep in mind this is a bolt gun load, not AR15 - LRRPF52
            Last edited by LRRPF52; 10-31-2017, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• Cornbread
              Warrior
              • Dec 2015

The only potential issue I see with CFE is temp stability. If you look at the numbers it's pretty significant. Has anyone tested this?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Cornbread View Post
                The only potential issue I see with CFE is temp stability. If you look at the numbers it's pretty significant. Has anyone tested this?
                Yes, it has been tested by at least 2 forum members with a cooler and ice at the range on a hot day.

It has a pretty high correlation of temp shift to velocity, ~1/1 IIRC.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lrgrendel
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2013

Yes, it has been tested by at least 2 forum members with a cooler and ice at the range on a hot day.

So would you expect to see much variation in velocity or pressure in CFE with a temperature spread say from 95 deg F to 50 deg F?

And just to clarify. We are talking about the temperature of the powder at the moment of firing?

Comment

• biodsl
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
                    So would you expect to see much variation in velocity or pressure in CFE with a temperature spread say from 95 deg F to 50 deg F?
                    Here is some data I've collected over several range sessions last year. Shot from a 22" BHW barrel. The load is a 123gr A-Max over 31.2 grains of CFE, CCI 450 primer and a COAL of 2.250. The temp was taken from an airport about three miles from the range so take it for what it's worth. I allowed the ammo for 90 to 120 minutes to get near ambient air temp. Not exhaustive but I was just looking to get an idea. Sadly, I never did get to the range on a 70 degree day.

Temp Av Velocity
                    40 2497
                    50 2544
                    53 2548
                    56 2540
                    60 2581
                    80 2677
                    90 2661
                    90 2674
                    Last edited by biodsl; 11-01-2017, 01:15 AM.
                    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• bakabone25
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

Has anyone worked with XBR8203 behind the 129 in short barrel{12.5 GB} . This is what i would like to try, however im not as skilled at reloading as most of you guys are. Im def still in the learning stage. I have new Lapua brass, cci450, xbr, and the 129ablrs. Im hoping this is a winner for the shorty.
                      Last edited by bakabone25; 11-01-2017, 01:59 AM. Reason: miss spelled

Comment

• lrgrendel
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                        Here is some data I've collected over several range sessions last year. Shot from a 22" BHW barrel. The load is a 123gr A-Max over 31.2 grains of CFE, CCI 450 primer and a COAL of 2.250. The temp was taken from an airport about three miles from the range so take it for what it's worth. I allowed the ammo for 90 to 120 minutes to get near ambient air temp. Not exhaustive but I was just looking to get an idea. Sadly, I never did get to the range on a 70 degree day

Temp Av Velocity
                        40 2497
                        50 2544
                        53 2548
                        56 2540
                        60 2581
                        80 2677
                        90 2661
                        90 2674
                        Very informative. Thanks

Comment

• TKO
                          Bloodstained
                          • Feb 2017

Mutherpussbucket

Well the idea for the one load does included the idea of all seasons . . . summer groundhogs to mid February coyote. Looks like I need to shelve this load and find another or only hunt on 59 degree days. LOL

Found this to be interesting reading on the subject: http://precisionrifleblog.com/2016/0...s-imr-enduron/

Comment

• fdbyrne78
                            Bloodstained
                            • Aug 2017

I'm not new to reloading but I've not worked much with temperature-sensitive powders. The most accurate load I've found so far is 31.6gr of CFE pushing a 123SST. That's obviously at the high end for a safe load since my throat is extremely short.

I could be hunting deer at 300 yards in 25F weather or pigs at 100 yards in 105F weather.

Does pressure decrease proportionally with velocity? Could I bump the charge by .2 for a cold weather load to regain some velocity without surpassing the pressure I would normally see with the lighter load in warmer weather?

I'd obviously have to take great care to keep the loads separate. I know I can figure this out with sufficient testing, but I'm short on time with deer season opening in a few weeks.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by TKO View Post
                              Mutherpussbucket

Well the idea for the one load does included the idea of all seasons . . . summer groundhogs to mid February coyote. Looks like I need to shelve this load and find another or only hunt on 59 degree days. LOL

Found this to be interesting reading on the subject: http://precisionrifleblog.com/2016/0...s-imr-enduron/

That article is great reading!

Depending on where you live, if you shoot a powder that is temperature sensitive you almost have to have a “load” for every “range” of temperatures.

Also if you are really serious, I guess we should have a thermometer with us at the range when load developing.....

Comment

Working...
                              X