position of your weapon in relation to your body .and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwilson1985

position of your weapon in relation to your body .and why?

me i was taught to but the but stock just outside of my sternum .So really in between my sternum and clavicle.i shoot left handed nothing to do with topic. but reason:it keeps you centered to the target and a natural aiming posture.

Now my pistol i center in my body completely (also left handed).reason is the same as above...im a rite handed person, left eye dominate ...

This is just they way i was taught ,and it works for me.im not saying this is the right way to shoot, How do you all shoot ?
    Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2011, 06:22 AM.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

ummm, collar bone and clavicle are the same thing.

I position the butt stock in the cup inside of the deltoid and on the upper, outer chest.

Comment

• jwilson1985

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
      ummm, collar bone and clavicle are the same thing.

I position the butt stock in the cup inside of the deltoid and on the upper, outer chest.
      lol i edited i didnt type what i was meaning.
      i guess its more between my nipple and sternum i should say

The way you shoot is how i used to
      Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2011, 06:33 AM.

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
        me i was taught to but the but stock just outside of my sternum .So really in between my sternum and clavicle.i shoot left handed nothing to do with topic. but reason:it keeps you centered to the target and a natural aiming posture.

Now my pistol i center in my body completely (also left handed).reason is the same as above...im a rite handed person, left eye dominate ...

This is just they way i was taught ,and it works for me.im not saying this is the right way to shoot, How do you all shoot ?
        JW:

I put the stock in a location where I can easily bring the sights to my eyes. This means in most cases a different location of the stock based on position and eye relief.

Although I don't know of any 'right' way to shoot, I do believe that marksmanship performance has a whole lot to do with maintaining balance and being able to see clearly.

So, by locating the stock where the sights can be easily brought to the eyes as opposed to locating the stock somewhere and then forcing the head and eyes down to the sights, a person establishes a set of conditions (balance and vision) where he has the potential for good marksmanship performance.

Understand that there is always some compromise due to the ergonomic design of the entire firearm. Also, guys will compromise balance and or vision in order to gain something else that they believe is more important than accuracy. Speed / recoil control are normally two factors that may outweigh perfect balance and perfect vision.

So - a 'right' way to hold a rifle, pistol, etc. probably doesn't exist. A way to hold them that gives the shooter something consistent and confident enough for him to trust his shooting ability and that he will succeed is probably a better way to put it.

LR1955

Comment

• jwilson1985

i agree , whatever works best for the shooter and the situation

Comment

The proper placement I was always taught in the military was the pocket that forms when you hold the rifle up to your shoulder. The pocket is formed at the top or your armpit, with your bicept touching one side and your pectoral muscle touching the other side. This position keeps the butt of the rifle in place. Moving the butt any farther onto the pectoral muscle allows for the rifle to slide when firing (moving into the pocket I mentioned). Of course, there are many other tactical ways to modify your weapon placement. But, for the purposes of basic marksmanship, this is the preferred position.

What is most important is repeatability. Which ever way you choose to shot, as long as you can place the rifle consistantly in the same place, then you can build muscle memory and it will make your shooting more predictable.

Now, having said all that. I have a friend in a wheelchair that shoots at the range. He uses a metal rest for the stock to rest on and he pulls the rifle pretty much into the center of his chest and shoots one handed. He is an exceptional shot. So ..... whatever works is what you should do.

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Not always the case depending on the situation but I default to the shoulder pocket for the reasons Mutt said. I like quick follow up shots- that's what semi's are for.
              NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Guys:

So, what is more important. Placing the stock in the pocket of the shoulder or being able to easily see the sights and maintain your balance while shooting?

LR1955

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

I never really had any issue feeling balanced with the stock in the pocket under normal situations.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                    I never really had any issue feeling balanced with the stock in the pocket under normal situations.
                    TG:

OK but it didn't answer the question. What is more important? Location of the stock in the shoulder pocket or being able to easily see the sights and maintain your balance while shooting?

I ask this because I have witnessed this conflict countless times and figure that others here will experience it too. So they might as well get differing thoughts when they sort it out on their own.

LR1955

Comment

• txgunner00
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Just sharing what works for me most of time. I agree 100% with your earlier post. No single rifle position works in all situations for all individuals but I've had "instructors" try to train me that way. Mostly in the Marine Corps where the book is infallible.

Comment

I find that the most important thing in both well-supported prone or bench positions, as well as standing or runnin' and gunnin' is the ability to maintain a solid sight picture as the gun recoils, and to recover on that sight picture the fastest if we are talking about any chance of a good follow-up shot within a short amount of time. This is especially true with the AR, which seems to like getting muscled, without muscling off target...not easy to do.

I'm really muscling the gun hard to get it to hold within a 6" plate at 7yds in this example:

The positioning of my torso leaning forward is more important than where the butt is actually placed, and I tend to push that butt placement a little closer to the center of my chest from the traditional pectoral-bicep junction in a CQM stance, since getting the gun to move to my head is more important than moving my head to the gun. Try walking around with your head canted to the side, especially in a room with rapid muzzle blasts discharging, and you will look like a drunk.

Comment

• jwilson1985

lr1955 it would be seeing the sites and proper balance. if you can not see correctly or properly get the shot off.the target means nothing if you can hit it

Comment

• jwilson1985

lrrpf this is how i shoot.but i would be doing cqc 3gun ,but i have found that it works for (ME) in long range as well .when im not shooting prone or from a rest but i still seam to put the butt closer to the center of my chest. cause it works for me
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-02-2011, 10:53 PM.

Comment

For CQM, I don't put it noticeably closer to the center of chest from another person's perspective, but just a little more on the lateral face of my pec. For shooting from the bench, I am still chasing that game with the AR of muscling it as exactly rearwards as possible, while trying not to let that gross muscle input throw the shot. The long lock time of the AR is its biggest enemy in the accuracy department, even though the rest of the gun is more inherently accurate due to it being a tube, basically. Light hammers help a little with this.

Comment

Working...
                              X