First AR Build-Would Love Your Feedback!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bmiller35
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2017

First AR Build-Would Love Your Feedback!

Greetings from PA!

I'm excited to dive into the world of AR building after being without one for a few years, and have already decided that the 6.5 Grendel caliber is what I want. I could go and buy a complete rifle, but I would love to learn more about how the gun works and goes together, and after watching how much fun my cousin had building one himself, decided that's the way I want to go, too! Plus, saving some money and having exactly the way YOU want it is nice.

This is especially true after seeing this rifle, which is the look i'm going after. I was initially going to go 6.5CM, but decided to stick with the AR15 platform, ultimately.

I've already done a fair amount of research on the key components of the build (Upper/Lower Receivers, Bolt/BCG, Barrel) and was leaning towards getting a barrel/bolt from the same maker to avoid any issues. I have emails out to Mike from DTech as well as Precision Firearms, but have yet to hear back from anyone. I don't know what is going on with that. The receivers are still very much up in the air. I don't know what I want to do yet, but I DO know I want them OD like you see in the hyperlink above.

For the barrel I was planning on an 18" Krieger with 1/8 twist from Precision Firearms with or without their matching bolt. I hear great things about the BCG from Young Manufacturing, but understand they're hard to come by.

Everything else, sans the trigger, I haven't really looked into.

Anyways, I wanted to say hello and would LOVE to hear what you guys recommend as far as components. As I'm sure is normally the case, pics make everything better.

Thanks in advance,

BM

ETA: I forgot a few key points:

-I am willing to spend around $2,000 (not including scope and mounts)
    -The gun will be used primarily for target/fun up to around 500 yards, but could be used as a hunting rifle in the near future if I relocate.
    -I DO NOT reload at this time, but plan to in the next 2 years. On the same token, I don't want to be talked out of the caliber for this reason.
    Last edited by Bmiller35; 10-26-2017, 12:37 AM.
  • ty_hooper12
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

I just finished my first build not long ago, a lot of my components (upper/lower receiver set, buffer kit, hand guard) came from AeroPrecision. Loved the looks and price.

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

My advise is to stick with a trusted vendor. Mixing and matching begs for problems.

This industry evidently doesn’t respond to email ina timely manner. That goes for all companies.

IMO, if your budget allows stick with precision firearms or Alexander Arms. Either will take care of you.
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

Just re red your post. What are your plans for a trigger? I don’t skimp on triggers.

Two stage - geisselle

Single stage- Timney

Yes I have expensive taste but I cry only once.
        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Bmiller35
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2017

Thanks for the responses!

Ty Hoop, how does she shoot?

Rabiddawg-Thanks for your response. Have a brand preference? Want to throw any others into the mix? Talk me out of spending more on a Noveske

Actually, Mark from PF emailed me tonight! He wasn't entirely helpful, but any response is better than no response. I wish I could call, but my work schedule makes it so difficult. Also, I agree with you; I would rather buy once, too. I have no issues spending money if it's worth it.

In regards to the trigger, I left that out because I have been trying to decide whether I would like a one or two stage trigger for my custom. I figured the barrel is going to takes months to get shipped anyways, so I can figure that out later!

Comment

• ty_hooper12
            Warrior
            • Oct 2017

Comment

• Bmiller35
              Unwashed
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by ty_hooper12 View Post
              Bmiller, to be honest with you I haven’t shot it yet. I’m a full time student-athlete in college, currently in season, I haven’t had much of a chance! I’m hoping to get plenty of rounds through it and zeroed in time for the end of whitetail season here in Texas.
              I'm sure you're chomping at the bit.

Best of luck in school/sports. Go Penn State

Comment

• ty_hooper12
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Bmiller35 View Post
                I'm sure you're chomping at the bit.

Best of luck in school/sports. Go Penn State
                Definitely ready to get it out to the range. Thank you, I appreciate that! Go HSU Cowboys

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2017

BMiller, whereabouts in PA are you located? I don't know anyone else in my locale with a 6.5 grendel.

Comment

• Bigs28
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2016

Black Friday is coming up and larue has put their trigger on sale for $99 in the past.

Comment

• Bmiller35
                      Unwashed
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Dcommoncents View Post
                      BMiller, whereabouts in PA are you located? I don't know anyone else in my locale with a 6.5 grendel.
                      Originally from Plum, but have been living in Philadelphia area for last 3 years. You?

Bigs-I was thinking about waiting until then to purchase some of the accessory products.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Bmiller35 View Post
                        Originally from Plum, but have been living in Philadelphia area for last 3 years. You?
                        I grew up in the south hills. Brentwood and Bethel Park in highschool. Aside from one year in Cleveland, I've been in Greentree and Scott Township since. I guess I still don't know any fellow Grendel aficionados in the Pittsburgh locale.

Comment

• Bmiller35
                          Unwashed
                          • Oct 2017

I've never familiarize myself with the South Hills. I think the closest I got was working in White Oak.

Sorry you had to spend a year in Cleveland. That had to be hard for you! (Philly isn't much better, trust me)

Comment

• Bmiller35
                            Unwashed
                            • Oct 2017

Alright fellas, help me out here. This is what I'm trying to decide on now....

1) Buy the JPE CTR-02 Upper/Lower Receiver set (listed as $699.95 on their site) plus their JP Supermatch 18" Barrel ($664 with desired options). I love the idea of buying everything from the same manufacturer, but the price tag on the receiver set is a little hard to swallow.

2) Buy the PF Billet Lower Receiver ($230) and Krieger Barrel/Upper with some desired options ($1,060+). Here, the barrel is just so much more money. I am ok spending money for quality, but I don't really see much negative on JPE's barrels. Which brings us to....

3) Save money, and purchase the JPE Supermatch barrel and the upper/lower receiver from Precision Firearms.

Comment

• Joseph5
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2012

Order a Larue Tactical Ultimate Upper Build Kit and a lower receiver from them. It is the best value going and it will provide you with an ultimately accurate rifle that will fulfill any desire you have weather it is bench shooting or hunting or a combo of both. You will not be disappointed and you will not be able to put one together from random parts for less money and no where near the quality of value.

Comment

Working...
                              X