First AR Build-Would Love Your Feedback!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

I think you would be absolutely fine with the JP-15 forged set for half the price of the billet. I would think their tolerances would be very close and you'd have a real nice barrel into upper fit - maybe even requiring a heat gun!
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Dcommoncents
      Warrior
      • Jul 2017

I don't have any first hand experience with the parts candidates you listed but have built a few different ar's. Unless money is literally not a consideration at all, and bragging rights about having a "cool" gun are important to you, I would suggest going with the cheapest of your listed options since they all involve well-reputed manufacturers.

I'm sure some will have a different view, but for the most part I don't see any huge advantage to buying all components together at once. Quality parts from quality manufacturers should play together nicely. Unless you have ready access to go/no gauges I would at least buy headspaced barrel and bolt together though. I don't, so I bought my first and (so far) only grendel as a completed upper.

If you are open to other avenues, like TYHooper said I have found aero precision and sister company ballistic advantage to put together some high quality high value components. I doubt any of that helps you decide between the 3 options you listed, just wanted to point out some things to consider.

Comment

• Bmiller35
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2017

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate all advice, and am not limiting myself to those options.

Is it common for most AR manufacturers to offer some sort of finish options?

I'm still in love with the Armor-Tuff finish (matte OD) that Wilson combat offers that I'm worried I'll be disappointed with anything else. At the same time, their prices for receivers are on the more expensive end and the return on investment doesn't seem to be there (or the word isn't out yet, if they're newer to the game).

Comment

• Dcommoncents
          Warrior
          • Jul 2017

I think finish options have become increasingly common because the AR market has become so saturated and manufacturers need a way to draw attention and distinguish their products. Personally, I don't care about finishes, so I just buy forged receivers and apply a spray paint camo pattern. I do see some value in the availability of additional functional features that can be incorporated into billet receivers, but have yet to use one myself.

I haven't looked at the Wilson combat finish you're talking about to compare, but I know Aero precision offers some pretty cool finishes and upper receiver/free float hand guard packages.

Comment

• Bmiller35
            Unwashed
            • Oct 2017

I don't need saltwater protection or anything that extreme, but just like the look of the OD/black combo. It's really as simple as that. It's my first DIY, so I want to do it right, you know?

Comment

• Dcommoncents
              Warrior
              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Bmiller35 View Post
              I don't need saltwater protection or anything that extreme, but just like the look of the OD/black combo. It's really as simple as that. It's my first DIY, so I want to do it right, you know?
              Absolutely, I didn't mean any of that as a negative. Building is addictive and getting exactly what you want is the whole fun of it. You should want to sit in your living room and drool over it when it's all done. And I like that look too; for example I think this finish is awesome: https://bkingsfirearms.com/shop/ar15...mod-handguard/.

I'm just giving you my 2 cents, which is that from a functional perspective there is no reason to spend hundreds of extra dollars on special billet receivers. I'm far from one of the most knowledgeable members here, but I don't think you're going to see any performance difference between a forged receiver set from a reputable manufacturer and a billet set unless you want a side charger upper or some other feature that can't be had in forged.

It really comes down to how much cost savings matter to you. If the answer is very little, I fully endorse the notion of "buy once cry once" and getting exactly what you want. But if that is a concern I would be inclined to say you will be better served by saving on the receivers (i.e., get plain forged receivers and have them duracoated later or buy cheaper pre-finished ones like Aero carries) and putting the savings towards a better scope and mount for example. In short, the receivers are the best place to skimp, at least relatively speaking. In no particular order, barrel, trigger, scope and a comfortable stock that facilitates a good cheek weld will be much more important.

Regardless, I'll be interested to follow along and see how your build turns out, as it seems like you've put a lot of thought into building a sweet machine. Hopefully at least some of my rambling will help along the way!

Comment

• ty_hooper12
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

Bmiller35,

If you were wondering, you can get an AeroPrecision matched set right now on sale.

Discounted AR15 & AR10 uppers, lowers, rifles, parts, accessories and more. Save up to 50% at AeroPrecisionUSA.com!

Comment

• Bmiller35
                  Unwashed
                  • Oct 2017

Thanks for the heads up! So many options?!

Comment

• ty_hooper12
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

There really are! Palmetto State Armory also has some good stuff at a good price. Just depends on what you wanna spend!

Comment

• just_john
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2012

Bmiller35 - would agree with most of the commentary above, but - be cautious of low-dollar upper receivers. I have posted several rants about the superiority of forged uppers vs billet so I won't bore all here but - to tell a story about a friend who did get an "el cheapo", off-brand upper, it was a billet and the slug had slipped on the machining cradle and all the holes were "a little crooked". You could force it to fit on the lower but the bolt would not slide back. And the selling retailer said it passed their incoming inspection so they would not refund. As stated by several others, save money for the glass and barrel but stay wiith known and reputable sources. And do keep in mind, if something goes wrong and something inside the chamber goes horribly amiss, the upper receiver is the only thing between 50,000 psi and your head.
                      By all means, do get a forged upper adn be sure to use "the tool" to true the barrel mounting face on it. Then go shoot bug holes at 500 yds and tell us all about it.

Comment

• Bmiller35
                        Unwashed
                        • Oct 2017

I appreciate your post j_j, and your passion for the forged vs billet receivers is more than welcome in my thread. I posted it to learn, and would love to hear what you have to say. (please recommendations if you have them!)

Comment

• Bmiller35
                          Unwashed
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by ty_hooper12 View Post
                          There really are! Palmetto State Armory also has some good stuff at a good price. Just depends on what you wanna spend!
                          I'm guessing I have what is somewhat of a millenial's mentality of, "I have "x" budget, so I HAVE to use it."

Comment

• StoneHendge
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2016

Originally posted by Bmiller35 View Post
                            I'm guessing I have what is somewhat of a millenial's mentality of, "I have "x" budget, so I HAVE to use it."
                            Which usually means one ends up spending 1.2x lol
                            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Bmiller35
                              Unwashed
                              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                              Which usually means one ends up spending 1.2x lol
                              YES! You know what I'm talking

Comment

• bj139
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2017

Bmiller35,
                                I am just North of Philly and South of Allentown.
                                Here is a possiblity.

Larue makes pretty good triggers.
                                Most people here like Vortex scopes but I keep buying SWFA and will continue.

The best advice I received here from a now unknown poster was: "Spend your money on barrels, triggers and optics. Everthing else is just window dressing".

Comment

Working...
                                X