First AR Build-Would Love Your Feedback!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bmiller35
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
    Bmiller35,
    I am just North of Philly and South of Allentown.
    Here is a possiblity.

Larue makes pretty good triggers.
    Most people here like Vortex scopes but I keep buying SWFA and will continue.

The best advice I received here from a now unknown poster was: "Spend your money on barrels, triggers and optics. Everthing else is just window dressing".
    Oh cool, I have a great friend in Phoenixville.

Do you like shilen over the Jp Super Match barrels? I was debating spending double the price of that Shilen on a Krieger from DTech

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

I have no experience with Shilen or JP barrels but most of the more experienced members here like both.

I just saw on this forum Brownells has Faxon match series 16" and 18" barrels on sale.
      With coupon codes you can get an additional $20 off and free shipping.
      I am thinking of buying one but the last thing I need is another barrel.
      I should shoot more instead.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
        Warrior
        • Jul 2017

Bmiller, how about this: Brownells currently has an Aero precision builder kit (upper with ejection port cover, lower, and 15" free float handguard) cerakoted in forest green on sale for $299! Don't know if you can beat that deal! https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod104759.aspx

Comment

• wilecoyote
          Warrior
          • Jul 2013

Sounds like you have a good plan. You'll like the Grendel, it's a great round.

Only thing I may offer as advice is get what you want and can afford. Young carriers are nice, but carriers from reputable manufacturers will work just as well. Young's cost and are difficult to find now then. If you're trying to maximize I would go with another and throw the funds at the barrel or trigger. The bolt is the critical piece. I've had carriers from several makers but have always had a bolt from AA. Never an issue with the rifle at all.

If you can afford and wait (hopefully you can and won't have a wait) to go with the Young and trigger you want, go for it. Saw recommendations on a Geissele, Timney and a LaRue trigger. Geissele are real nice and a good choice. No experience with Timney, but may have soon. Heard good things about them.
          Either would be good if funds permit...The LaRue is good, but I'd definitely wait for a sale.

Comment

• PVBoom
            Warrior
            • Oct 2017

With a 2K budget I would get a LaRue Ultimate upper kit and LaRue lower then build the rest.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by PVBoom View Post
              With a 2K budget I would get a LaRue Ultimate upper kit and LaRue lower then build the rest.
              That's what I was thinking as well.

Will leave you plenty of room for mount and optics on top of one of the premier billet set frames on the market.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                Warrior
                • Jul 2017

I hadn't actually looked at the Larue option before, and it's not as expensive as I would have guessed. Back of the napkin math tells me that after buying the Larue upper kit (not assembled or test fired) and lower receiver, a $2k budget will probably leave a little under $1k for scope, mount, mags, and to complete the lower. That's certainly doable, although it doesn't leave much room for a really high quality optic, mount and trigger. That said, my 65G still shoots better than I do and it only has an enhanced GI trigger and relatively inexpensive Konus Pro scope (which by the way is an incredible value - great glass and features for the price) with I believe Nikon mounts, so I guess how much quality is really needed depends on the shooter's skill level.
                Last edited by Dcommoncents; 11-10-2017, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• Bmiller35
                  Unwashed
                  • Oct 2017

Hey guys! Thanks again for your recommendations.

I just want to say again that the optics will be a separate budget, so don't worry about that!

In regards to the LaRue deal, I have to agree that it seems to be a bargain. My main concern is the color scheme I desire, as I don't see they offer the upper/lower receivers in OD. I emailed them to find out if that's something they can make happen.

The last week I have been leaning towards just getting the forged receiver set from Wilson Combat, as I know that's the color that I want, and it seems to be of excellent quality. The rest of the parts I had picked out were mostly from JPE (silent capture spring, adjustable gas system, barrel with comp, bolt/bcg). I still haven't decided on whether I want a single or 2-stage trigger.

Comment

• Bigs28
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2016

Part of the larue upper kit is the trigger.

Comment

• Bmiller35
                      Unwashed
                      • Oct 2017

Sadly, they don't do receivers in OD :/

If anyone can recommend someone that paints (and it still be cost effective), I would still consider the Larue Kit!

Comment

• SHEEPDOG9
                        Unwashed
                        • Sep 2017

As PV said above, the LaRue option above is an excellent one. The rifle pictured in LRRPF52's post is available from LaRue now for right around your budget and is probably the nicest factory grendel ever built for the money IMO, and is available in limited quantities, some 9 YEARS in the making from Mark LaRue's team.

However, if you've got the itch to build from scrap, you can certainly build the rifle of your dreams, under your budget, particularly if you buy components during the coming black Friday deals. The savings alone should buy you the cerrakote of your entire rifle, including scope and mount, which most would prefer. I'd spend the 2k something like this, if it were me:

Barrel: Lilja 319 barrel, $490.

Trigger: Geissele SSA-E $180.

Gas Block: Superlative Arms clamp, adjustable $100.

Bolt carrier group: Maxim $ or Toolcraft nitride $99.

Muzzle brake: VG6 GAMMA 65 $40.

Receivers: for the money, can't go wrong with Aero Precision, Forged on sale. Just true the receiver face and bed the barrel with hi-temp auto liquid-gasket, or blue loktite, and then forged receivers are forged receivers IMO $110.

This still leaves you $880 for:
                        1. The handguard of your choice. (BCM mlok $180)
                        2. Pistol grip. (MAGPUL MOE+ $20)
                        3. Stock (MAGPUL PRS $220)
                        4. LPK ($30)
                        5. UPK ($20)
                        6. Buffer kit (GEISSELE SUPER 42 $60)
                        7. Gas tube ($15)
                        8. Charging handle (GRIFFIN SN-ACH $90)
                        7. Cerrakote ($245)

Hope this helps. Welcome to the fraternity!

Comment

Working...
                        X