• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bowhntr6pt
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

Grendel Kill and more

Finally got a chance to really put the turret hunting set up to the test... it DID NOT disappoint.

Got out to the pasture where I killed the double the other day knowing they would be back. Got all set up... for daylight hunting I chose one of my Aero M5 builds, YHM LT suppressor, Trijicon TA11E, 110 TAP for ammo.

Camo net worked like a charm...

Within minutes of getting settled, a coyote came from my right... I swung the turret around and spoiled his plans of feasting on the two dead pigs from the other day... shot was about 60 yards.

Got back settled in... and about an hour or less later a really cute couple stopped by for some free corn... or so they thought. When I shot the sow the boar walked over and gave her the "get the heck up" look so of course I had to make sure he took the same trip she did... cute couple no?

Well, time to roll up the camo net and move to a location where I know the pigs come out AFTER dark. There were some fresh rootings and I spruced them up earlier today with some golden goodie... corn that is. I switched hardware and mounted my home-built 16" AA barreled 6.5 Grendel with Hornady 123gr ELD Match ammo. I used a PVS-14 mounted on an Ops-Core Bump helmet and have the Inforce WML with white/IR as well as a new TNVC Torch II for extended IR needs.

Got the therma cells going and just after dark I saw a spot about 500 yards out moving my way... figured it was a hog. He closed the distance and started nibbling on some not-so-free corn. When he was about 75 yards out, I hit him with the Inforce IR illuminator (to knock down the laser bloom), settled the OTAL-C dot on his shoulder, and touched one off. I could tell as he ran kicking up dirt he was a goner... he went about 10 yards into the brush.

All in all, an outstanding day/night in the field with a personal best one-day/night kill of three pigs and one coyote. That damn turret it the s#@t!!
  • Bowhntr6pt
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

Better look at the set up...

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

Damn, BowHunter...that's just not playing fair! What a cool hunting blind!
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Texas
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2016

way too Kool!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Very cool blind!
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

Seriously the most bad-ass mobile death wagon I've ever seen... very awesome!

Comment

• ty_hooper12
              Warrior
              • Oct 2017

Talk about death on wheels!

Comment

• IescapedCali
                Warrior
                • Sep 2017

That's awesome! Only needs a cup holder. Maybe They make one for key mod...

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                  Chieftain
                  • Oct 2016

Ok, but does it have a USB port to charge your phone?
                  Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• xlcc
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2016

I can see why you have a smile on your face!

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

Great shooting. Cool setup.

Comment

• Redomen
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2016

Awesome rig!

Comment

• okiecat
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2017

I need one of those turrets. Where did that come from? Military or home built. Does it rotate quietly. I have one of those Jap mini trucks all camo'd out.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2017

Originally posted by okiecat View Post
                            I need one of those turrets. Where did that come from? Military or home built. Does it rotate quietly. I have one of those Jap mini trucks all camo'd out.
                            It is a surplus German MG3 ring mount. As far as I know, after talking to the company that used to import them, there are none available. I was extremely lucky to have found this one.

I used one an acquaintance had mounted on his vehicle and immediately knew I had to have one... so the search was on. I paid $375 ($325 for the turret and $50 for gas for the guy who went and got it as it was not local to me and he had to drive an hour one way to get it as the seller did not want to ship). I then paid $100 or so for UPS shipping.

It is quiet as a mouse and silky smooth... I was worried at first being surplus and all but it rotates as smooth and quietly as it did perhaps when new.

I'm already looking for another one to build a double turret mount...lol.

ETA- the frame support is a repurposed and modified truck bed pipe rack. I will be adding some storage boxes, and umbrella mount, and rifle holders.
                            Last edited by Bowhntr6pt; 10-31-2017, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 2011

Whoa. Sweeet!
                              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
                              X