• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Hornady American Gunner 6.5 Grendel

Someone posted a picture of some 6.5 Grendel ammo they bought at Sportsmans Wharehouse. The ammunition is Hornady American Gunner with a 123 grain BT HP. Hornady has a few other rifle cartridges in the American Gunner line which run cheaper than Hornady Custom like the 123 grain SST. The OP on ARF.com stated this ammo was about $.70 per round.

I saved the picture posted on ARF.com but is to to large so I’ll have to try and reduce the file size. Here is a link to the thread. I have been unable to find this ammo listed for sale and the ammo is not listed on Hornady’s web site. Hornady does not list a 6.5/264 123 grain BT HP bullet as a loading component.

F01DDC98-68DE-441B-840E-AB53B13BC139 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150966264@N06/]

Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 10-29-2017, 02:26 PM.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I wondered if it was photo shopped but it was in the ammunition section on ARF.com. If it is a hoax I guess I bit, time will tell. I was just curious if anyone else had seen any of the 6.5 Grendel American Gunner ammo. With the sales of 6.5 Grendel ammunition might justify adding the 6.5 Grendel to the American Gunner line. In a video on the Hornady web site they indicated other cartridges would be added to the American Gunner list.

Comment

• Randy99CL
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

That is funny that someone would bother to fake it.
      I searched on Hornady #81511 and it doesn't come up. Fake number.

I hope all the companies start making more loads in our 6.5.
      I've not bought any 6.5G ammo yet; just ordered my upper a couple days ago. But checking around, can't find even one box locally (Cabelas, Dicks, Sportsman's Warehouse, LGSs) and the couple of dealers I've ordered from before are OOS (Midway only has AA in stock).

Guess I'll just have to order online and get beat up on shipping.
      "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
        Warrior
        • Oct 2014

Hornady doesn't even make a 123gr Hpbt bullet, unless its brand spanking new. Would be sweet if this were true!

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
          That is funny that someone would bother to fake it.
          I searched on Hornady #81511 and it doesn't come up. Fake number.

I hope all the companies start making more loads in our 6.5.
          I've not bought any 6.5G ammo yet; just ordered my upper a couple days ago. But checking around, can't find even one box locally (Cabelas, Dicks, Sportsman's Warehouse, LGSs) and the couple of dealers I've ordered from before are OOS (Midway only has AA in stock).

Guess I'll just have to order online and get beat up on shipping.
          Randy,

The Albuquerque Cabelas has/had 6.5 Grendel in at least 4 flavors -

Hornady 123 SST Custom, Hornady Black 123 ELD Match, Federal American Eagle 120 OTM, and Wolf 100 FMJ. I know because I've bought several boxes of all but the Feds.

Sportsman's Whorehouse had 123 Amax at one time, but only the few boxes. They are toast as far as I'm concerned, now that Cabelas has opened just up the road.

Unlike Sportsman's, Cabelas seems to be restocking regularly.
          Last edited by NugginFutz; 10-29-2017, 10:58 PM.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Six5x39
            Warrior
            • Sep 2017

agree for .70 centss , I'll buy in bulk and some more

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
              Randy,

Hornady 123 SST Custom, Hornady Black 123 ELD Match, Federal American Eagle 120 OTM, and Wolf 100 FMJ. I know because I've bought several boxes of all but the Feds.

Sportsman's Whorehouse had 123 Amax at one time, but only the few boxes. They are toast as far as I'm concerned, now that Cabelas has opened just up the road.

I'm curious to see if your Larue likes the 120 Feds as well as mine does... hmmm... Range day call out - paging Nuggin' da Futz!
              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

Until someone comes up with something that's a better value than Black, I can't see that it would make
                sense for hornady. Would probably cannibalize a sales of Black
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Randy99CL
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                  Randy,

Hey, thanks!
                  I keep checking on the Cabelas website, and I select the Albq store but it only tells me the ammo is in stock online. Their site doesn't want to show me store inventory at all. Maybe I need to create an account.
                  Cabelas prices are kindof high.
                  I've not been in either of those stores yet. I don't buy much (really tight budget) and shop mostly online.

Did a search today and Bud's has Black for $17.04 a box with free shipping over $199, so 12 boxes would be $204.48; the best deal I can find right now.

Edit: It's funny, I just went to Bud's to check stock and the Black dropped to $16.86 but the "free shipping over $199" is gone.
                  Last edited by Randy99CL; 10-30-2017, 11:37 PM.
                  "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

I just called Hornady. It's real, and an exclusive factory ammo load in the American Gunner line they make for Sportsman's Warehouse.

The bullet is specific to this load as well, not listed or currently available in their normal projectile line-up.

Meant to be an economical, quality factory ammo option.

200rd box
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Well, bless my soul! Now if only the local Sportsman's would stock it...
                      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

That's too easy for me to pick up, rather than stand or sit at my load bench when time is a pinch.

Hornady brass too.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Thanks for checking LRRPF52, mybe Hornady will release the American Gunner 6.5 Grendel to other retailers.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 2011

Thanks, LR! Pretty clever of you, actually picking up the phone and making a call. Whodda thunk?

Hoping this serves as a test launch, and that it goes mainstream!
                            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
                            X