• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keystone183
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

A-Max on Central TX Whitetail

Did some hunting this weekend. Peak rut in the hill country! Took two nice management deer. First was a deer that dressed 155lbs, which i think is the biggest we've ever taken. Shot was from about 70 yards, broadside, POI just below middle of the front shoulder. Complete pass through, deer went about 30 yards. Lungs/heart were destroyed. Second buck tipped the scales at 140lbs, and pretty much same exact story, except he was at about 120 yards. Made it about 40 yards, through and through, and was a mushy mess on the inside. POI was slightly higher but centered on front leg. I will try and get some pictures of the damage when i take the hide off.

These were both factory Hornady 123A-max rounds and I was surprised, especially on the second one, that they were both total pass through on a broadside shoulder shot. This is out of a 12" Criterion barrel.
  • ty_hooper12
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

Great story, congrats on the meat in the freezer!

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by keystone183 View Post
      Did some hunting this weekend. Peak rut in the hill country! Took two nice management deer. First was a deer that dressed 155lbs, which i think is the biggest we've ever taken. Shot was from about 70 yards, broadside, POI just below middle of the front shoulder. Complete pass through, deer went about 30 yards. Lungs/heart were destroyed. Second buck tipped the scales at 140lbs, and pretty much same exact story, except he was at about 120 yards. Made it about 40 yards, through and through, and was a mushy mess on the inside. POI was slightly higher but centered on front leg. I will try and get some pictures of the damage when i take the hide off.

These were both factory Hornady 123A-max rounds and I was surprised, especially on the second one, that they were both total pass through on a broadside shoulder shot. This is out of a 12" Criterion barrel.
      Congrats. What speed are you getting with that load?
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• keystone183
        Warrior
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        Congrats. What speed are you getting with that load?
        Not sure! Haven't put this one on the magnetospeed yet. I have assumed it to be the same as the 12.5" blackhole it replaced, and that has gotten me close enough. Waiting on putting together another 20" build, so when i get that done i'll check them both. I'll post when i do!

Comment

Working...
        X