• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • usmcm16a2
    Warrior
    • Aug 2015

Chassis MDT or Boyds.

Folks,

Simple question, MDT chassis in FDE, or Boyd target type stock? $400 or $189? And why would you choose one over the other. A2
  • lrgrendel
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by usmcm16a2 View Post
    Folks,

Simple question, MDT chassis in FDE, or Boyd target type stock? $400 or $189? And why would you choose one over the other. A2
    I’m not sure it is a fair comparison!
    With one being a chassis and the other a traditional type of stock.

Also with the MDT being over twice the price of the Boyd’s, it damn better do a better job!
    I may be wrong but I think some people who buy the Boyd’s will do their own bedding job which of course makes it more accurate.

I bought mine for accuracy straight out of the box and know I can sell it on when I want to.

I know 3 shot groups don’t really mean much but that is the best so far.

20171031_171324-1651x929-1238x697.jpg20171031_165922-1651x929-1238x697.jpg
    Last edited by lrgrendel; 10-31-2017, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Folks,

Personal taste

Pistol grip vs. traditional rifle stock

Weight

Appearance

Modularity (chassis) vs. not so much in the way of options (stock, grip, forend mounts....).

I have a Howa HCR (may be the first in the wild of the 6.5G version) inbound, and am doing a 6.5G Howa in a Boyds AT-One stock. I'll be able to do a side by side comparison and specs (weight) since the action and optics will be identical between the two.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• 65Whelen
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

It's apples to oranges. But I want a chassis, why? It's leading edge. It's a step up from the traditional stock. Another way to look at it, $189 for the Boyd plus $150 to get it bedded = $339. Might as well get the chassis.

Comment

• AZBackcountry
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2016

The Boyds 2D23111741ZZ is lighter for $190 + $5 car wax + $40 for Devcon Steel Putty will bed 6+ rifles.

Of coarse I'd bed the Chassis too. $400 LSS Chassis + $240 Magpul Stock PRS GEN3 + $40 buffer tube + $25 Magpul grip = $705
          Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This. This is why I jumped on that HCR rifle.

I've got Boyds AT-One stock coming for a barreled action that I am going to bed myself. Going to youtube bedding school right now.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• HowaGrendel
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2017

I have the MDT chassis and did no bedding, just bolted in action and shot a .087 3 shot group......but, I ordered a Boyd's adjustable stock for a Ruger Predator in 6 Creedmoor.....the MDT I don't think can be effected by heat, cold, wet or rifle taking a fall....

Comment

• usmcm16a2
                Warrior
                • Aug 2015

Folks,

Will have my chassis by 11/4/2017. FDE, will have an FDE buttstock, a Leupold 8.5x25x50 scope from Chazroh. TMOA reticle, and 0 MOA Howa scope rail. And a Harris bipod. A2

Comment

• Trumpet
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2016

Sort of unrelated, but man I wish KRG would make the X-ray for the mini

Comment

• HowaGrendel
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2017

Folks,

Will have my chassis by 11/4/2017. FDE, will have an FDE buttstock, a Leupold 8.5x25x50 scope from Chazroh. TMOA reticle, and 0 MOA Howa scope rail. And a Harris bipod. A2
                    you will like it....

Comment

Working...
                    X