Wolf ammo - Ok? Bad? Harmful? What's the general consensus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warp9764
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2017

Wolf ammo - Ok? Bad? Harmful? What's the general consensus?

Is Wolf steel cased ammo ok for general plinking or are there issues I could run into such as fouling my barrel/chamber? What are people's general thoughts on this?
  • dammitman
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

I have found it inaccurate in my few ar-15 style grendels. of course I compare the term "accurate" to what they do shooting hornady factory ammo. the powder they use seems to be more dirty than most factory ammo I have shot. nonetheless, I have put up quite a bit of it for the simple reason its real cheap. I am sure I can hit a coyote at a hundred yards easy and probably more like 200 but that would not be an ethical shot just hitting the dog. I have experimented with it pulling the bullets and dumping the powder and reloading the steel case with known good bullets and loads but, so far it hasn't worked out like I had hoped. again at the price its good plinkin ammo for my grendels.

Comment

• howl
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

Good, cheap, suprisingly clean for what it is 4 MOA ammo.

Comment

• Cornbread
        Warrior
        • Dec 2015

I honestly don't know what tge fascination with stuff is other than it's cheap. Petsonally I view my 6.5 as a precision weapon for hunting and target. If I want to blast that is what the 556 is for. Bimetal ammo can be hard on a barrel, the stuff is not accurate. Meh. For general purpose shooting I would rather reload.

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

For 21 cents a round my buddy got one of the wolf uppers to blast it for fun. Its about 2-3 moa out of that.

Comment

• Drift
            Warrior
            • Nov 2014

Maybe 10 moa.

Comment

• warp9764
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2017

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

Undersized bullet. .264 caliber is shooting a .2619 bullet with the Wolf Ammo. There is part of the accuracy issue.

Inconsistent neck tension is the other.

Good cheap ammo for making noise, and maybe working on rifle operation, but accuracy...waste of money past 50 yards.
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• grening
                  Unwashed
                  • Mar 2017

Have heard of some companies voiding rifle/upper warranties for running Wolf. I never ran it in any cal as the extra weight/mass/hardness can attribute to premature wear.

Comment

• howl
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
                    For 21 cents a round my buddy got one of the wolf uppers to blast it for fun. Its about 2-3 moa out of that.
                    I got 4 MOA with irons on the same upper. Nice to know it'll do better.

Comment

• Et2ss
                      Unwashed
                      • May 2016

Originally posted by warp9764 View Post
                      Is Wolf steel cased ammo ok for general plinking or are there issues I could run into such as fouling my barrel/chamber? What are people's general thoughts on this?

I have an AA 16" Lite barrell that seems to like it well enough. I also have a 24" BCA that doesn't play well with it at all.

This is a 12" X 16" target set out at 420 yrds, using the 16" Lite (a solid 19 out of 20 hits as I was coming up, correcting for elevation)

And here is a 12" (left target) and an 8" (approx. on the right) at 160 yds. with the 24" BCA.... about 3+ MOA with the Wolf

Comment

• jdelong
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                        Undersized bullet. .264 caliber is shooting a .2619 bullet with the Wolf Ammo. There is part of the accuracy issue.

Inconsistent neck tension is the other.

Good cheap ammo for making noise, and maybe working on rifle operation, but accuracy...waste of money past 50 yards.
                        I disagree. certainly not match ammo, but I can make 10/10 hits at 450Y on an 8" plate as a mediocre shooter using an 18" rifle with a scope. 10/10 hits at 250Y on 2/3 steel silhouette with 1.5X ACOG, 12" Grendel. I am happy with it for what it cost.

Comment

• donbcivil
                          Unwashed
                          • Nov 2017

Originally posted by grening View Post
                          Have heard of some companies voiding rifle/upper warranties for running Wolf. I never ran it in any cal as the extra weight/mass/hardness can attribute to premature wear.
                          I have a Bushmaster rifle that I use for shooting DCM/service rifle matches. UTTERLY reliable, very accurate.

The one time I fired some Wolf ammo through it, it jammed constantly. Never again...I will not do that to a good rifle.

Comment

• PVBoom
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by donbcivil View Post
                            I have a Bushmaster rifle that I use for shooting DCM/service rifle matches. UTTERLY reliable, very accurate.

The one time I fired some Wolf ammo through it, it jammed constantly. Never again...I will not do that to a good rifle.
                            I had the same issue with an Armalite and Wolf, but I attributed it to .223 chamber with 5.56 lacquered ammo

Comment

• Lostintexas
                              Unwashed
                              • Jun 2017

< 2 inch groups for me at 100 yards. Shooting off a range bag and just getting the feel.
                              Black connects the dots when I do what I need to, off the same range bag.
                              Wolf shoots 9 inches lower than the Black. Go figure. Nothing that can't be overcome, and nothing that is guaranteed in the next barrel.

Comment

Working...
                              X