• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bowhntr6pt
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

Great Night w/Grendel kill

We got set up overlooking a series of fields where I knew hogs and coyote would be. One of the guys brought a suppressed Mossberg MVP in .308, a first for me, and a suppressed Colt Match HBAR. Both had thermal sights. Another friend was using his suppressed LMT in .308 with PVS 14 and Laser and I had my trusty 16" AA home build and was also using a PVS14 and laser.

Just before it was too dark to use my Leupold MK AR scope, this guy showed up to our right moving from right to left at about 200 yards. Only two of us had a shot so on a command fire, we sent two rounds... always great hearing the smack when the bullet strikes. Consensus was I hit him and the other shot went over... either way, big boar and off to a great start.

Entry was just above and in front part of shoulder... just about a DRT shot but he was breathing when we got to him so a G19 round to the head sealed it.

Not long after another big boar showed up, same spot and moving in the same direction... this time the Suppressed Mossberg MVP fired by a friend did the trick, another impact smack gave school girl giggles all around... this one was big and nasty like the other.

This would happen again, about the same way, but the third one managed to get off into some extremely thick brush so we did not recover it. During all this we also saw five to six coyote but only one came in close enough to shoot. I fumbled the Mossberg trigger somehow and got it locked up... it has that trigger safety bar like the Savage and any slight sideways pressure and you're screwed. Friend cut loose with the suppressed Colt and I hear and saw two of the five shots hit the coyote and he stumbled into the wood line... but to our complete surprise, we did not find him... damn.

All in all a great night with friends and a few less bullies in the woods...

• Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Good job!
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Arkhangel5
      Warrior
      • Apr 2016

BH6,
      You are having way too much fun there.

Distance to the Grendel kill, weight and bullet used?

Nice writeup.

SY

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Congrats!

I've seen people have that problem with the Savage trigger before.

You have to set you hand up on the grip based on finger placement, not grip geometry, which will usually mean having a handful of nothing, and your palm and fingertips gripping the pistol grip of the stock.

If you naturally wrap your hand around the grip, trigger finger placement on pretty much any Mauser-sporter stock will rarely be such that you get straight, rearward pressure, I've found.

The sporter stock pistol grip on bolt guns appears to be more for looks or carrying the rifle at port arms, definitely not ideal for shooting.

That's the reason McMillan and others did the more vertical, large palm swell grips for accurate rifles, to set up trigger finger placement for consistent, straight, rearward pressure.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
          Warrior
          • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Arkhangel5 View Post
          BH6,
          You are having way too much fun there.

Distance to the Grendel kill, weight and bullet used?

Nice writeup.

SY
          The shot was just over 200 yards, used factory Hornady 123 gr. ELD Match.

LRRPF52... me too, I should have known better.

Comment

• Arkhangel5
            Warrior
            • Apr 2016

BH6,
            Thx for the info.

Any idea on the weight on those pigs? The dark one looks bigger?

SY

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
              Warrior
              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Arkhangel5 View Post
              BH6,
              Thx for the info.

Any idea on the weight on those pigs? The dark one looks bigger?

SY
              I'm not good at guessing weight lol... but the black is bigger.

Comment

• Texas
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2016

Great story and pictures, thanks!

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

Great hunt. Pig roast soon?

Comment

Working...