• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

Pistol optic recommendations

I am in the process of assembling the parts for my 12 inch pistol trunk-gun. I want a magnification optic option to better take advantage of the Grendel's legs. At the moment, I've set a budget for the optic at a max of $300, but less can be more, especially in the trunk gun sense of things.

I am eyeing the Leupold 1.5-4 MARK AR, though that is only something I am eyeing. I also wonder about burris, Bushnell, Meopta, Vortx, etc. I know there are other good options.

So, I wonder what I may be overlooking or just not aware of.
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

I have the nikon p223 3x32. Its cheap but does what it's supposed to.

Comment

• Keef
      Warrior
      • Jun 2017

Id like to try a primary arms 1-6 or 1-8.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

Vortex Spitfire 3x Prism. I can take it to torso sized targets at 450 with my 556 carbine. It's a real nice compromise between a red dot and a traditional scope.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

For that price range, I would look at the Vortex 1-6x Strike Eagle.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kswhitetails
            Chieftain
            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
            Vortex Spitfire 3x Prism. I can take it to torso sized targets at 450 with my 556 carbine. It's a real nice compromise between a red dot and a traditional scope.
            I've been eying this particular set up as well, I wonder what you think of missing out on the lower magnifications?
            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

Keef - I got their email yesterday about having the gray scopes in stock. After checking it out, I think the 1-6 KiSS could be a good choice too.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                Chieftain
                • Oct 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                For that price range, I would look at the Vortex 1-6x Strike Eagle.
                If I could find one of these used for less than 200, I would pounce on it. Do you have any time behind one? I'd love to know what the BDC looks like for the Grendel. As in, how close is it really - out to 400 or so?

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                  Chieftain
                  • Oct 2016

Wish I could figure out how to quote multiple folks in a single post...

Comment

• StoneHendge
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2016

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                    I've been eying this particular set up as well, I wonder what you think of missing out on the lower magnifications?
                    Doesn't really have an impact. It has unlimited eye relief and instantaneous sight acquisition, so i can have both eyes open until it's time to pull, and there is just a minor adjustment when I close my left eye. Nothing to futz with unless you want to turn the illumination on, so the target's always clear whether it's 25 or 400 yards
                    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• howl
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2015

Black Friday SWFA SS

Comment

• PVBoom
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by howl View Post
                        Black Friday SWFA SS
                        Not a bad suggestion.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                          Chieftain
                          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by howl View Post
                          Black Friday SWFA SS
                          Interest piqued. Tell me more...

Comment

• biodsl
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2011

I have a lot of time behind a PST 1-4X24 on Grendel 16" and .22 trainer rifle. I'm a believer in the 1-?X concept on the AR. They're quick enough close up if you train and still allow for relatively easy engagement of 2 or 3 MOA targets at distance. We live in a day when there are lots of good scopes to chose from.

The Primary Arms with 7.62x39 reticle might line up well with a the ballistics of a Grendel pistol. That might be a bitchin' DMP (designated marksman pistol) .

The trick I think is to not go too heavy. A SWFA SS 1-6HD I have on one of my Grendels comes in at 22 ounces. It's hurt the quick handling of the rifle. I'm trying to train around it but I certainly wouldn't chose this for a pistol. Watch the weight of your mount, too.

Good luck on your search. I think you're on the right path.
                            Last edited by biodsl; 11-04-2017, 11:02 PM.
                            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• PVBoom
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                              Interest piqued. Tell me more...
                              They regularly have multiple scopes at 20% off for that weekend. There will also be other things, sitewide discounts, etc. They might also take another 10% off their excellent selection of used scopes.
                              Last edited by PVBoom; 11-05-2017, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X