• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

12" build list, comments welcome

I started this by wanting to SBR my 12" Faxon GB barrel, and after some thought and further research, have moved to the pistol build.

I am wanting to have something that I can keep in the car as I travel around the state encountering various targets of opportunity while visiting some friends, and and for self defense. Do not misunderstand, I do not hunt from my car... But I have been known to stalk a coyote some distance to help them cull threats to their calves and herds.

12" Faxon GB bbl and Monster GB bolt
    Larue Tranquillo 6.5 Brake - It will share it's older brother's suppressor later on.
    AA P-series carbine length piston kit (BCG, GB, Gas tube covered) (I admit this is a maybe - with the dropping prices of the DI parts, the price of this is becoming less and less attractive)
    BCM Mod4 CH
    Aero Precision "Betsy" upper and lower set (Wish they would do a monolith like this)
    BCM 10 inch KMR-A Handguard (or similar keymod)
    BCM LPK
    MBT-2s trigger
    Ambi-safty - have, not sure who's it is, maybe a Knights?
    BAD lever
    Pistol tube
    JP SCS H2

"Rattle can X Camo"

I haven't decided on the brace and tube yet. I really like the SB PDW pistol, but for a trunk gun this seems overkill and just a "want". I need to make a decision here, and am leaning toward the standard SB brace as that was the only brace singled out by the letter from BATFE.

I also need to decide on the sighting equipment. So far I really REALLY like the Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4 with some quality iron offsets. Not sure. Perhaps a PA 1-6 KiSS... or a Meopta 5x with the 308 bdc... donno
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
  • jurassic
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

I've installed 2 BCM hand guards, they are beech to put on, but definitely solid. Also, measure carefully if trying to put anything but a BCM style setscrew gas block under the hand guard, jut about everything I have tried is too big.

Nice list of parts!
    Last edited by jurassic; 11-04-2017, 07:26 PM. Reason: update

Comment

• Frontier Gear
      Warrior
      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
      I am wanting to have something that I can keep in the car as I travel around the state encountering various targets of opportunity while visiting some friends, and and for self defense. Do not misunderstand, I do not hunt from my car... But I have been known to stalk a coyote some distance to help them cull threats to their calves and herds.
      I totally understand. I live up in ranching land (mostly free range). It's a different culture that most people don't understand. Not a whole lot of people here (town population is about 100), but thousands of cows that are feed to cougars, bobcats, coyotes, bears and other larger predators that we are not allowed to shoot. We are allowed to shoot one bear, one cougar and as many coyotes as we can though. My current truck (jeep) gun is an AR pistol in 300 blackout.

Just my opinion on parts:
      Go DI - less money, less parts, less weight, easier to build. Piston isn't needed for a truck gun. Again just my opinion.
      I really like the Kak arm brace.
      Truck guns get really beat up. Don't get too sentimental with the paint job.
      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Kswhitetails
        Chieftain
        • Oct 2016

Thanks Jurassic. I'll do some more research before I commit to this. I never really thought about it, but the GB on my RECCE does seem really small. If I go DI, then still happy with it. I am most impressed with the solid mounting mechanism developed by BCM. I am more and more impressed with them the more I take mine out and play with it. I need to go ahead and get a BCM hand guard for it to replace the MI gen 2 that's on it.

Frontier - yes, I see that you do! All very good points, especially the DI discussion. I think after I posted that this morning I have pretty much left the piston pistol idea behind. I really wanted to try it with the Larue suppressor, but reality being what it is...
        The paint job will be only when I get tired of all the scuffs on the pretty black. The idea will be to make it look the part, and be able to blend in better when it does go to the woods for a hunting trip. Used to be abused, but cared for like one of my limbs... Tools look best when they are well used and well loved IMHO...
        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

Comment

• Dcommoncents
            Warrior
            • Jul 2017

I've got a similar build in the works.
            - I just got in on the 12" group buy barrel and will likely do the same for the bolt.
            - I got an aero lower and enhanced upper with the integral free float handguard mount for a killer price. Unfortunately the handguard is longer than I will need, so I'll likely just take a few inches off the end with my chop saw and clean it up with the dremel.
            - standard charging handle initially and probably upgrade to bcm gunfighter
            - bcm mod 1 pistol grip
            - Bushnell 1-4x illuminated ffp scope on aero ultralight mount I currently have on a 5.56 carbine (this will be replaced with holosun red dot) with no buis
            - The shockwave blade brace and buffer tube have been duly placed on my x-mas list
            - I'm not sure about gas block yet, but probably will go with adjustable in case I ever suppress and start with an h buffer.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
              Warrior
              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Dcommoncents View Post
              - I got an aero lower and enhanced upper with the integral free float handguard mount for a killer price. Unfortunately the handguard is longer than I will need, so I'll likely just take a few inches off the end with my chop saw and clean it up with the dremel.
              Belt sanders work well too.

chopped1.jpg
              chopped2.jpg
              chopped3.jpg
              Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                Warrior
                • Jul 2017

Interesting approach to trimming the handguard, it reminds me of a coped piece of crown molding the way you followed the contours. Did you make the angle to accommodate a gas block at some point, or just to look cool, kind of like the diamondhead style?

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2017

I was following the lines of the cutouts. I didn't want to cut into any holes or openings. The goal on one was to reduce weight but still cover the gas block. The goal on the other was to expose more of the mirror polished fluting and still cover the gas block.
                  Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                    Chieftain
                    • Oct 2016

Ugh. Well, chalk it up to learning experiences, the 12 inch Radical rail was too long by about 1 1/2 inch. The 11" Larue was too long by about 1/4 inch. I can't mount my Larue suppressor with either. I'm looking for a 9 inch Larue rail, or a 9 or 10" BCM KMR.

On a happier note, I shoud be able to go by and pick up the lower from my FFL tomorrow, and the only thing left is the rail, the optic, and the trigger.

I'm not sold on the KAK Blade. I'm not against it either. Just kind of meh. It was inexpensive on sale though so - won that one.

IMG_0031 (Custom).JPG

IMG_0032 (Custom).JPG

The silver lining here is that I have found my new favorite rail. By far, leaps and bounds, and flying away. This Larue quad rail is the stuff real men are made of. Must be like the Geissele and Noveske stuff I keep reading about but can't bring myself to buy. It just works, it feels right, and damn is it solid. Every piece of Larue gear I get a hold of I am more and more impressed by . It just seems to fit my hand well, and it's the absolutely perfect rail for my BCM Recce pencil build. My 15" FDE MI GII Mlok may be going the way of the parts bin in the sky...

The Barrel is a press fit into the upper, negating the neccessity of bedding the extension. The BCG seems to be extremely tight in the tunnel of the upper, seems almost like the Cerakote is thick enough to reduce the inside diameter of the tunnel and create slight clearance issues. Some lube and use should clear this right up. It's a trunk gun anyway.

Every time I get the wild hair to think I may want to rattle can this darn thing, because, you know, thats what you do when you have a gun you want to throw into the back seat floorboards and the bed of your truck. But then I see the nice Grendel pic at the end of the barrel, peeking up at me, the Grendel peeking at me off the bolt; the new finish on the parts... I just can't bring myself to start shaking the cans...

I am getting really excited about finding the right optic, and letting this thing show its capabilities. I need to hurry up and decide what optic I want. So far, I'm still settled on the Leupold Mark AR 1-6. Seems perfect for a short and light build, and the warranty will be a nice comfort. I'm torn between that and Burris' 1-4 M tac. Can't decide. I've given up on pistol optics, I can't find anything remotely similar to the price range and feature list of these two rifle scopes in pistol optics.

I'm considering buying another set of offsets... oh the options.

By the way, you guys are sick with your modified hand guards. I can't bring myself to cut either rail. I'd sooner do it with the Radical than any other of my rails. Something to consider, it's Mlok so I could just cut off the first few inches and stop at a line... spray the end with flat black and call it good... hmmmmm. Cheap, easy, and fits the purpose. If only spending more money wasn't so dang fun...

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                      Chieftain
                      • Oct 2016

9" Larue rail found from ARFCOM, installed, and perfect upper happiness reached. Even came with it's own pre-worn patina to further the "Trunked" look.

Should be exactly what I'm looking for if accuracy and suppressed operation are within expectations. I am getting very excited for the form 4 approvals and some more fall hunting to come along.

VERY happy with the build so far, really looking forward to range time with my son. He isn't all that excited as I think he sees his Xmas present money going into my pistol build. Oh, the assumptions of youth.

He may change his tune when he sees the fun to be had at 300 yards.

I need to go pick up my Aero Betsy Ross lower, (the 13 stars in the circle configuration on the right side of the magwell) from my FFL. They are only open on the weekdays though, and I am working out of town during the week. I'll go get it soon.

I still need an optic and mount, this is the only real hurdle remaining.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• jackwagon
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2017

[QUOTE=Kswhitetails;174458]Ugh. Well, chalk it up to learning experiences, the 12 inch Radical rail was too long by about 1 1/2 inch. The 11" Larue was too long by about 1/4 inch. I can't mount my Larue suppressor with either. I'm looking for a 9 inch Larue rail, or a 9 or 10" BCM KMR.

On a happier note, I shoud be able to go by and pick up the lower from my FFL tomorrow, and the only thing left is the rail, the optic, and the trigger.

I'm not sold on the KAK Blade. I'm not against it either. Just kind of meh. It was inexpensive on sale though so - won that one.

IMG_0031 (Custom).JPG

IMG_0032 (Custom).JPG

Every time I get the wild hair to think I may want to rattle can this darn thing, because, you know, thats what you do when you have a gun you want to throw into the back seat floorboards and the bed of your truck. But then I see the nice Grendel pic at the end of the barrel, peeking up at me, the Grendel peeking at me off the bolt; the new finish on the parts... I just can't bring myself to start shaking the cans...

KS. I just finished a rattle can job, it was pretty painless and I think it turned out pretty good. I decided to do it because I had leftover parts that I wasn't happy with the finish and wasn't worried about messing up. If I had the Betsy Ross combo that is ready to go as is I wouldn't have done it. Maybe grab a cheap Anderson set or something if you feel the need to spray, and save Betsy for something more epic.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                          Chieftain
                          • Oct 2016

Appreciate the thought! As for myself though, I can hardly think of a more epic build. This may well become my fourth leg when my form 4 is finally approved...

Comment

• Lastrites
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2017

So your LaRue Tranquillo index's past the back of your muzzle device by almost a 1/4", man that's a shame as that combo would have looked really good with the 11" rail.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                              Chieftain
                              • Oct 2016

Grendel pistol v.1 by Joe Bob Wienerschnitzel, on Flickr
                              Finally taking more of a final form. Need an optic, the sights are likely to go to another rifle with more room on the upper. I am leaning more and more to the non-illuminated Leupold Mark AR mod 1 1-4. An Aero ultra-light cantilever mount. Then to the trunk with it... maybe...
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Kswhitetails; 12-27-2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X