• Nov 2017

Looking Good!
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Kswhitetails
      Chieftain
      • Oct 2016

Identified a few minor adjustments:

1) QD endplate or adapter for my MS4 sling, Does anyone know of a metal insert besides the Magpul that can be drilled and mounted in the blade for a QD socket?
      2) Sending the reciever set and hand guard tube and blade to the local coating guy for a green treatment. I've decided to go ahead and rattlecan the main pieces, but no parts or the barrel. I want to let the OD be the base, with some "kahki" and "dark sand" top layers. I figure that the green cerakote base wil be better than just blasting away with some krylon. Plus, it should have the added benefit of being more permanent than the paint so I can strip and re-do mistakes or make changes later with greater ease. My local guy will do it for $15/piece since I also use his shop for my FFL xfers, and he's over-grown in OD green. I asked if he could tape off the "Live free or die" and he seems to think it would be easy to keep visible. It's not really necessary, but it fits my desires for the piece to a T.
      I'm thinking that an OD green lower with the stars color filled in white might be pretty damned cool... Think 1944 Willy's with the Grendel up on the dash. Yea - old school cool.
      3) BCM mod 4 CH
      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

I have an app called "wish". I ordered an end plate with duel side attachment points for my sling for $1 shipped to my house. Works perfect for regular buffer tubes and stocks. I'm not sure how the pistol braces and tubes work.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

Yea, the clamp-on versions might be an issue, but the actual end plate with a QD in it is good to go. Like the BCM, or Noveske plates with the hole where the centering stamp is on the stamped steel versions is. Simple, effective. Good deal on the app though.
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
            Warrior
            • Jul 2017

Looks great! I now have my 12" faxon group buy build just about done and I'm loving how it handles! I of course did my traditional rattle can job, which did not adhere very well to the kak brace, but I consider it a tool so I'm not to worried about that. 20180101_173027.jpg

I just need an optic and muzzle device to get the barrel past the hand guard, the crown is about 1/2" short. I'm leaning towards using a bushnell 1-4x ffp illuminated scope I have on another upper in an aero ultralight mount.

The muzzle device and gas block will be interesting since it will be my first time using the components I selected. The muzzle device is this krink style that I know nothing about, but found at what looks to be a killer price (got 30% off with promo code that popped up on the website), particularly compared to noveske's version. https://www.cobratac.com/collections...k-brake-ar-308 And I went with Ergo's adjustable gb.

In case you're wondering that's a UTG pro 12" handguard that I recycled from a previous build and has actually been really good despite UTG's somewhat poor reputation as an airsoft quality brand.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

Changes already! I found a member that wanted to get their hands on an actual 12" rather than the 12.7", and was worried about the wait. It just so happened that I had a 12" that was ~.5 inches too short to make use of my 11" Larue rail. Win-win. So, the 12" build is growing to 12.7, and since this change has bought me some time, other changes are afoot!

I just dropped the hammer on a PDW stock... LRRP's build confirmed what I already knew: I want one for this. I bought the Strike Industries Viper PDW from Primary Arms. They suckered me into opening their president's day sale email, and I got taken again.

It's a good deal (seemingly) at the moment at just under 200, so I bit the hook, and will post when I get my rig put together. I really like the spring loaded deployment of the LOP adjustment. Time will tell if I like it in traction as much as I like the idea. On that note, as it stands right now:

I am waiting on a 12.7 inch GB barrel (early March?).

Also, my SI Viper PDW (Thanks, LRRPF52 you know how to make a guy envious).

Next is the optic and mount - the final decision which I am still debating. (I really like the Leupold Mark AR 1-4, its light (huge benefit), and its a Leupold.) I did recently notice a <$500 1-10 from Nikko Stirling that would be incredible if it passes the review test... I really want to go LT104 for the mount, but this is a trunk gun soooo....

'Tis coming along lads and lasses. Will I be as proud of it as I think I will be? Bet your britches, especially when I get it all coated into OD GREEN, and color fill the lower in white! My suppressor cover is going to be OD now for sure. I think I'm gonna name it Willie.

...I guess I also need to find a vintage OD green web sling. That would be cool. Can an old Korean era US surplus slings be adapted well for this? More research incoming!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Just make sure the Strike PDW Stock is installed on a registered SBR lower if you are going to use the 12.7" barrel, otherwise you're building an SBR without a Form 1 in violation of the unconstitutional, but enforced NFA edicts that can land you in the slammer, confiscation of your property before you go to an ATF kangaroo court with a DOJ judge, ATF "expert witnesses", and the full power of the government's confiscation of our taxes to fund their attorneys to victimize you and your family.

Pistol brace...that's ok.

Stock? Gotta pay $200 Stamp Tax and submit Form 1 to ATF and wait for approval. It all makes sense if you just don't think about it.

This gets you up to 10yrs jail time without Form 1 approval and stamp:

This is just a pistol with no special paperwork needed:

I don't support any regulations on either personally, as the Second Amendment covers this issue already.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                  Chieftain
                  • Oct 2016

Agreed. I should have made a clarification that the Form 1 application schedule is potentially being moved up. Until then, the Strike PDW STOCK will happily reside on another full length rifle lower, and my pistol build will continue in as-is with the Blade until approval, should I decide it's worth it.

I figured I could try it on the rifle, and decide if I like it, review it, and decide if I'm impressed enough with it to go ahead with the Form 1 for it. If not, I can move it and grab up a SB PDW brace and avoid the form 1 issue all together, being happily oblivious to Mr and Mrs Washington politic.

I see now how I didn't post enough of the planning side and may have indicated my plan to avoid legal complications involving my PISTOL build. Thanks LRRPF52. And thanks for making my festering envy too much to resist.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                    Chieftain
                    • Oct 2016

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                      Chieftain
                      • Oct 2016

Just picked up a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 Milrad for $300 in the box. Guess the deal made my mind up for me. It’s like brand new, came with the ADM like Vortex cantilever q d mount. I think that ADM made them. Seemed like a good deal for both so I jumped. Saved myself a pile of cash too. Now dads build goes on the vice too. I’m acquiring parts for his upper too.

Comment

• biodsl
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                        Just picked up a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 Milrad for $300 in the box.
                        Congratulations! I know there are newer, shinier scopes out there but I really like my PST 1-4. It's a nice combination of quality, weight and features. I think it's a great choice for a pistol. Just wish I had it in MRAD instead of MOA.
                        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                          Chieftain
                          • Oct 2016

Thanks. I was looking for a MK12 style optic, 2.5-10 or some such, found one at $525 on arfcom that was my choice, but decided on this because I don't think I'll NEED that much extra zoom anyway, and the extra 225 could be used elsewhere. And at 300 for the optic and mount both, I couldn't say no.

I just spent the extra $ on a LT745 20 MOA mount from Larue this morning, so the FDE 104 will wear the PST on my pistol, the 745 will make itself at home on my full rifle. Best of both worlds. I joined the Kansas Precision Rifle Club a few days ago, and hope to gain some experience with them this summer.

The Vortex mount will go atop my dad's upper, probably with a similar optic.

I have to say, Vortex' service department is very impressive. I was worried it was fake, so I sent an email to confirm. It's an older model with a rubber ring around the zoom, unlike the newer version (2009-) that uses a knurled metal ring. I was told that if there is any issue with the optic at all to ask for a RMA and I can send it to them to be fixed or replaced on their dime, even though I didn't buy it from them - that doesn't matter. Who does this? Basically, this company has customer service well in hand. I will be starting at Vortex from now on.

The last think the guy said to me was "Keep me close-at-hand should you need anything – any time." Listed his name, direct phone, email, and normal hours. THIS is probably the biggest reason Vortex gains such a following, followed closely by their really great products.

I'm excited to have it in hand, and join the "family" as they put it.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                            Chieftain
                            • Oct 2016

Received the scope yesterday. The more I play with it, the more I like it. Even the TINY reticle (it looks as if it was designed as a FFP piece stuck in SFP, like the reticle is too small. It's nowhere near daylight bright, may need to buy some fresher batteries, it doesn't seem to matter if I use a new battery or not, it just doesn't get there. Great for evening hunting though. This will do nicely. It's much heavier than the Leupolds, but the glass is just as clear, and the turrets are amazing. I can see why folks swear by Vortex after handling this thing.

I've went to Cabela's, and I was really disappointed in their in-stock selection for perusal. I went for the Bargain Cave, and being astounded at the lack of material there, found myself at the floor optics case. The folks behind the counter were not the right sales people, they couldn't answer my questions - like is this Moa or Mil? Do you have anything in FFP in stock? Can you guide me to the higher end stuff? Umm, umm, let me get the box... (*stood there reading the boxes while I helped myself over the cases...) In their defense they were busy, it was a nice day outside on a Saturday. Alas, there were 8 people behind the counter, none of which acted as if they wanted to help me find something to buy. This was the first time I ever experienced this at Cabela's - I hope this isn't a trend.

Left without anything but a Frankford Arsenal magnet.

They had the Federal GMM 130s in stock, had three slots, all mixed in... this is a PITA, and two were empty. The Wolf slot, and the Federal 120s slot. They didn't even have any spots for Hornady 6.5G. They did have however, LOADS of 6.8 stuff; And it was all enormously overpriced, and every spot for it was full; And it was all organized and together... Maybe 6.8 just came in on the morning truck... The 6.5 CM stuff was all over the shelves too. Same for the reloading components; mixed in, jumbled up, as if they don't want you to find what you're looking for in 6.5mm bullets/ammo.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                              Chieftain
                              • Oct 2016

Taking final form. Finally decided to run with the KAK blade and the 11" Larue rail for sure. I ordered the OD green clips from Larue, and they sent me an APEG by mistake. So, of course I just paid em the 15 bucks, and had em send the clips. I really like them. Much better feel in the hand than the KAK 11 slot covers I've got. Soon, it get's stripped, and taken in for OD green Cerakote on the upper, lower, and tube. I just can't bring myself to Cerakote the rail or the LT104. I will white color fill the lettering in the lower, I really like the white ring of stars on the green background idea. I'd love to OD green the Viper, but the guy want's $150 for an optic. Too much for a trunk build. Can't decide yet if I want to Cerakote the muzzle brake, as it is the mount for the can, I'm worried about fractional deflection and clearance issues with the Tranquillo.

I'm elated. I can think of a few things that could lighten it up, but I think doing so would make it far less rugged. Right now, the thing is a beast. Very good results for the backseat carry concept. I am excited for the can to be released to me, and to see it in it's final form, completed. The Barrel is due in about two weeks, and I've got everything ready for it. I've got some rounds pseudo-laddered for it with 129 SSTs and CFE and HP2 ready to test with the 12.7. I'll be interested if I can get 2100 from it within max load limits. Very glad to have the Grendel Handbooks to use for reference, as well as (I just discovered this) the Hornady X manual on Ibooks. I've got some other powders that may work well with the 120SMKs I've got in bulk as well. I have some 120 Scenars that are eating my lunch to develop for my 18, I wonder if I could find a load they both like there as well.

I think this little gun will run mostly on the 120SMKs and SSTs. I may look into the lighter 95 Vmax as well. That load would probably wind up as my Coyote load, the 129 SST being the whitetail harvester of choice.

Anyway, picture for posterity:

Untitled by ., on Flickr

Comment

• 98Z
                                Warrior
                                • Jan 2018

KSW, I just ran my 12.5" Faxon Grendel out to 845 yards on steel this weekend. You'll be amazed at what this thing can do. Major ranges I doped the scope were 100 zero, 375 yards, 500 yards, and 845 yards. It wasn't lobbing rounds like a 5.56 shorty - it was delivering with repeated results. You'll love it.

Comment

Working...
                                X