• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SmallFarmer
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2017

Sig 516 Conversion

The question is, "Will the Sig 516 stand up to the 6.5 Grendel's horsepower AND is the 516 lower built to mil-spec, so that a complete upper can be purchased and mounted on the 516 lowers?"

The details - I have a pair of Sig 516 heavy barrel Carbons (a Gen 1 and a Gen 2 both sub-MOA) that I would like to extend the flexibility by building or purchasing a pair of complete 6.5 Grendel uppers.

Any comments or recommendations will be appreciated.

I don't think I could find a more helpful or savvy group on the Grendel anywhere. I've read what the members have posted about builds and about results, Damn, you guys are good! Jus' sayn'
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

Welcome aboard!

My FIL has a 716 carbine, and I know it is not very friendly toward the rest of the AR10 market. There are things that fit, and many that do not. That's also well known in the infamous AR10 market though, so I don't blame that on SIG. Unfortunately this is all the SIG long-arms hands on I have - I've never held a 516 outside the gun store(fun store?). I would tend to think the better controlled AR15 platform, industry standard, and marketplace would be far more uniform. I am less afraid of the parts being less forgiving in regards to fitment with the 516. But SIG is a strange duck at times...

As far as standing the increased power of the cartridge, I'm not really sure about the difference between the recoil impulse of the two cartridges, the Grendel feels very similar if not even a little lighter than the NATO rounds I've been using lately. And I cannot imagine SIG to have produced a product that you should be concerned with using under a Grendel upper, especially if the particular upper you choose fits with a modicum of being tight together. I would say that if a standard mil-spec upper pins on and fits remotely well, build or buy away, and let the SIGrendel live!
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. The SiG516 is based on the AR15 receiver set, and the lower is compatible with standard AR15 uppers to the best of my knowledge.

Simply drop on an upper. You might have to use a different buffer, as the 516 is external op-rod driven, which usually requires heavier buffers and spring rates to try to keep the action locked longer.

Remove your buffer and weigh it, let us know what it is.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• warp9764
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2017

I have a Sig 516 and I'm working on a full Grendel build right now. I don't have anything put together yet, but if it helps I could try mating my bare upper to the 516 (or my 516 upper with my stripped lower). Let me know how it works for you - I'll likely be trying out the same thing once my build is done!

Comment

• SmallFarmer
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2017

I'll confess to being a sig fanboy. FWIW, I have one of those heavy 716 DMR's - 12-pounds (which I am thinking about asking to be placed in my coffin, Yes, I can take it with me. :-) But these little Carbon 516's are too sweet. It would kill me to pop the top and rely on one for a rare shot at a coyote and then have something break.

Which leads me to saying, I do not know the "real world" impact of carrier bolt tilt but that was one of the primary reasons for my seeking the wisdom of the Grendel Horde. Before moving any further into this discussion, let me be up front and state that I have never done a build and only a few simple mods, so I am skittish.

Warp: I'd like to hear about your mating the upper and Sig lower. To me this is a make or break issue - if it does not mate without any fitting then I'll be searching for another piston solution.

LRRP: I had not thought far enough down the road to think about lock times - Thank you.

Lastly, I've read that the BCG is like LWRC and the gas block is like Adams - remember this is me reading not doing.

That you all for responding

Comment

• Kswhitetails
            Chieftain
            • Oct 2016

Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
            X