Nosler 120 BT 30.0 grns 748... Deer at 197 Yds 74.25% retained Bullet weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nosler 120 BT 30.0 grns 748... Deer at 197 Yds 74.25% retained Bullet weight

Just a range report for those looking at bullet performance
    Nosler 120 Ballistic Tip... 30.0 grns Win 748
    197 Yds up the tail pipe .. Bullet stopped in base of the neck
    weighted 89.1 Grns for a retained weight of 74.25%
    Great mushroom .. Deer dropped in tracks

Congratulation, thanks for sharing, great information. Hope you didn't ruin any of the hind quarter or loin.

Comment

Nice report...pics?

Comment

Soon as the camera battery is recharged I will try to post some pics..

I am not real swift when it comes to that thought

Comment

Did the Grendel "Jump up and bit him"??? (Forest Gump quote...) Sorry, I got nothin...

Comment

OK so If I did this correctly they should show up in my album .. Public view

Give it a try and let me know

Thanks

Smoke

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2011, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

That's what we here in Texas call a San Fransisco Heart Shot.

Comment

What I really love about the grendel is hearing the bullet impact on the animal..
                    Nothing else I have shot gives me that .. Now keep in mind most of my shots are at least 175 yds (with 250 to 400 being norm) so That gives a slight time for the muzzle boom to fade before impact

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Thanks for sharing Smoke what length barrel is your 6.5 Grendel and how big was the deer? A friend of mine took an antelope with his 20 inch 6.5 Grendel with a handload using AA2520 and 120 grain Nosler BT at over 300 yards. I'll let him post the details since he's a member here. He's trying to figure out how to post pictures on the forum.

Comment

Mine is a 18" AA barrel.. Deer was a Approx 110 Lb doe .. I was looking for good eating meat deer.. and got it ..
                        I built it on an AA Flattop upper receiver and a RRA lightweight quad rail handguard
                        That way I can run CQB, deer hunt or Target shoot or whatever with a few simple changes to what is hanging from the quad rail..

Its deadly accurate.. 3 times I have shot 20oz CO2 Bottles ( about 4" wide and 12" tall) at 500 yds 1 shot hits

Comment

Nice!

Question on the BT: are you using one of the newer ones that is marked "Hunting". The reports on the BT are mixed, and I'm wondering how many of the blow-ups are happening with the older BT, which I understand were designed for varmints rather than big game.

Comment

Mine were purchased last year and are not marked Hunting ..5 deer so far with the grendel ranging from 160LB + at 437 Yds down to 110 LBS at 197 Yds ..couple in the 230 yd to 250 yd range and so far all have performed beautifully .. before the grendel (2 to 7 yrs) we were shooting 6MM and my sons 243...all with BT's and all good performance..Probably have 15 + deer with them None have hit any major bone so far and that might be the difference

Comment

As luck you have it .. Shot 2 deer Wed evening .. 15 to 20 MPH winds and I forgot

As luck you have it Murphy rears his ugly head .. Shot a deer Wed evening (approx 160-170 lbs ) .. 15 to 20 MPH winds approx 220 yds and I forgot to compensate for the wind ..directly 90 degrees from my stand
                              I steady for shot .. deer moves, wind is blowing, I forget the wind and hit the front of rear hind quarter,, BT does its job deer goes down like hit with a sledge hammer and gets up and lopes off 40 yds and drops dead..
                              Feel like a real heel for making such a bad shot did recover the deer and really did not waste as much meat as I figured .. Just lucky it was on the front of the hind quarter

Comment

Working...
                              X