• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wags68
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2017

New Grendel AR Build

Got the Grendel build done. This rifle is going to double as my 3 gun and hunting rifle.

Upper:
    Spikes Upper
    BCA 18" Fluted Barrel with Mid Length Gas System
    Adjustable Gas Block
    BCA BCG
    15" Free Float Super Slim Handguard

Lower:
    Spikes Lower
    HiperFire Hipertouch 24C
    Magpul A2 Stock
    Ergo Grip
    Extended Mag Release Button
    Magpul BAD lever

Scope: Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wags68; 11-27-2017, 06:19 PM.
  • Dcommoncents
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

I think you'll like that barrel. I had a good time with my BCA 65G upper on a beautiful fall day in western PA this weekend. Doesn't get much more scenic than this!

13857.jpeg

Comment

• wags68
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2017

DCommoncents, glad to hear you like your barrel. Was a little unsure of the maker, but youtube reviews look promising. BTW, Western PA looks very nice!

Comment

• Dcommoncents
        Warrior
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by wags68 View Post
        DCommoncents, glad to hear you like your barrel. Was a little unsure of the maker, but youtube reviews look promising. BTW, Western PA looks very nice!
        I was in the same boat with BCA's reputation, but from various reviews it seemed that they had turned things around so I took the plunge and don't regret it. Hands down they offer the most economical means of getting into the 65G, which is great because making the platform more attainable is obviously in the interest of fans of the cartridge. I haven't done too much shooting for groups yet, but my barrel looks easily to be a 1 or less moa shooter so far. That seems consistent with what other recent buyers are reporting, so I'll be interested to see what data you are able to add.

The hills and trees here make finding a spot for long-range shooting difficult, but they also make for some beautiful landscape.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

DC,
          Was this on Saturday? Were you able to hit any groundhogs? If Sunday, I think you can hunt coyotes but I am not sure what else.

Go Eagles

Comment

• Dcommoncents
            Warrior
            • Jul 2017

Yes, Saturday. And no, didn't see any game. I was just hanging out with the father and brother in law to stretch the grendel's legs a little for the first time while the women folk waited for us to have a bonfire. I didn't really have time to get in depth with ranging or scope adjustments, but was pleased to be consistently connecting with a 10" target at a little over 300 yds once I figured out how the ballistic reticle played with the grendel ballistics since the scope was previously mounted on a .223 wylde rifle. Next time I'll be bringing a notebook and working out my adjustments in detail.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
              Warrior
              • Jul 2017

300 yards is probably laughable to many here, but it's tough to find that kind of open distance around here. I have local access to a family owned range where we can do whatever we want, but it only goes about 100 yards. The land in the pictures is also family owned, but it's nearly a 2 hour drive.

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

I only have access to a 100 yard range so I just shoot for smaller groups.

You may want to try Strelok, a free ballistics program for Android and IOS.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                  I only have access to a 100 yard range so I just shoot for smaller groups.

You may want to try Strelok, a free ballistics program for Android and IOS.
                  I've actually had strelok on my phones for a few years but only started playing with it when I got the 65G. I plan to use it next time I make it out to the longer range with more time on my hands.

Comment

• wags68
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2017

The rifle is built, heading to the range this weekend for initial test fire, zero and velocity data. Range report to follow.

Comment

• wags68
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2017

Well, just ordered the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 for my 6.5G. Should be a great dual purpose scope for 3 gun and hunting. Hope it gets here before Saturday.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

wags,

Nice build. How do you like the fixed stock?

Do you like the PA scope? Are you only changing scopes for 3 gun?

Comment

• wags68
                          Bloodstained
                          • Nov 2017

I like the fixed stock alot, provides consistent cheek weld and is very stable.

The PA scope is great so far. It has lots of features (FFP, AO) for the money ($230 on Amazon). I am going to move the PA to my Savage 10 FCP-SR. For the Grendel I am going with the Strike Eagle for both 3 Gun and Hunting, mainly because of the target turrets getting bumped while hunting and the amount of brush here in FL makes longer shots unlikely. The new 1-8 will give me a good power range for both hunting and 3 gun, and with the Vortex LRBC the 6.5G holdovers line up very with with the strike eagle reticle.

Comment

• wags68
                            Bloodstained
                            • Nov 2017

Took the 6.5G AR out for test fire and zero... She worked great with no complaints. Here are photos of the final group shot for the day. 3 shots @ 100 yards with the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 (1 MOA center dot in reticle):
                            tgt.jpg
                            tgt2.jpg
                            Last edited by wags68; 11-27-2017, 06:35 PM.

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

Nice shooting!

Comment

Working...
                              X