• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AZHTfreak
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Can noob questions

I need a 30,000 ft view on the purchase and paperwork hoop jumping sequence needed to buy a suppressor... A short outline from one of the informed horde would be really helpful!

Stupid pet trick ?s...

Do I have to buy direct from a can mfg? Or can I buy from any vendor (web or lgs) same as a non-NFA weapon and have it shipped to my local ffl of choice? Then the "in jail" thing and paperwork hoops get real murky real quick for me. What's ballpark total cost for a tbac or equivalent quality - can+tax+any other costs? $500? $1000? $1500???

Thanks in advance!
    DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

Good question. I will be interested in this as well.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

I'm in Utah, which is a shall issue State for suppressors and Chief LE Officer sign off, so my process is a bit different than a State that has dirtbag nanny State types who see lowly peasants trying to buy suppressors as something to refuse to sign off on, while looking at you like a suspect.

For me, it was:

Get suppressor from suppressor dealer or manufacturer and send them contact info for your local NFA dealer.

They send the suppressor to the local dealer once they have shaken hands with correct paperwork.

1st stop: Local Department of Criminal Investigations for finger print cards x 2

2nd stop: Passport photos x 2

3rd stop: FFL/NFA dealer with checkbook in-hand

1st payment: $200 written out to BATF (this is a 1934 provision to deter gangsters of the era who evaded taxes, hence the stamp tax, really meant for machine-guns. Not sure exactly why suppressors were added to the 1934 NFA, most conclude to counter poaching?). Your local NFA dealer will take that check and submit it with the Form 4, which will be the registration and tax stamp paper for the suppressor.

2nd payment: The transfer fee to your NFA dealer (mine was $100).

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait. (Makes it even worse when your can is sitting there in front of you at the dealer, especially how lightweight and short the TBAC Ultra 5 is in your hands.)

Once your Form 4 gets approved, you go pick up your can, usually 9-14 months later.

Start your papers now, and do it for as many items as you can.

SilencerCo has a simple explanation of this as well: https://silencerco.com/blog/2016/03/...se-a-silencer/
      Last edited by LRRPF52; 11-08-2017, 07:41 PM.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lrgrendel
        Warrior
        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        I'm in Utah, which is a shall issue State for suppressors and Chief LE Office sign off, so my process is a bit different than a State that has dirtbag nanny State types who see lowly peasants trying to buy suppressors as something to refuse to sign off on, while looking at you like a suspect.

For me, it was:

Get suppressor from suppressor dealer or manufacturer and send them contact info for your local NFA dealer.

They send the suppressor to the local dealer once they have shaken hands with correct paperwork.

1st stop: Local Department of Criminal Investigations for finger print cards x 2

2nd stop: Passport photos x 2

3rd stop: FFL/NFA dealer with checkbook in-hand

1st payment: $200 written out to BATF (this is a 1934 provision to deter gangsters of the era who evaded taxes, hence the stamp tax, really meant for machine-guns. Not sure exactly why suppressors were added to the 1934 NFA, most conclude to counter poaching?). Your local NFA dealer will take that check and submit it with the Form 4, which will be the registration and tax stamp paper for the suppressor.

2nd payment: The transfer fee to your NFA dealer (mine was $100).

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait. (Makes it even worse when your can is sitting there in front of you at the dealer, especially how lightweight and short the TBAC Ultra 5 is in your hands.)

Once your Form 4 gets approved, you go pick up your can, usually 9-14 months later.

Start your papers now, and do it for as many items as you can.

SilencerCo has a simple explanation of this as well: https://silencerco.com/blog/2016/03/...se-a-silencer/
        I am also very interested.

If I start the paper work trail now AND pay all the taxes and fees, what happens if the law changes before my waiting period ends?

Comment

• ALshooter
          Unwashed
          • May 2017

If...BIG if...the law changes and it is due to the currently proposed legislation, you will receive a refund for the tax stamp fee paid on a form 4 submission. .

Comment

• Bigs28
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2016

I bought the tbac ultra 7 yesterday. Total cost was 1150 Which included the tax stamp.

Call silencer shop and they will walk you through step by step easy. They are sending mine to the dealer of my choice which happens to be at my range so while it's in jail, i can still use it at the range.

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
              They are sending mine to the dealer of my choice which happens to be at my range so while it's in jail, i can still use it at the range.
              We call those conjugal visits.

You can go to NFAtracker.com and get an idea of the wait times, but I suspect that due to recent unpleasantness, the wait times for an individual Form 4 are going to go way back up.

Due to multiple screw ups by my FFL, and the ATF supposedly losing my paperwork, I had to start over...11 months later.
              Last edited by Sticks; 11-08-2017, 10:45 AM.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• AZHTfreak
                Warrior
                • Jan 2017

Thank you all for the great responses! Wow, I guess it really is a hoop jumping exercise with a loooong wait cherry on top...
                DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

It's more like errand running than hoop jumping.

It is actually really easy for a Form 4 if you don't have to get permission from your local Sherrif of CLEO. Fingerprint cards, Walgreen's for passport photos, and any class 3 FFL dealer will know how do do the paperwork for you, just answer the 4473 type questions, sign, write a check, and try to forget about it.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Crews
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jul 2017

Comment

• explorecaves
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

FYI - with current laws, if there is ever a chance you will be travelling with someone to the range and you have to stop for a bathroom there is a chance for unlawful transfer of possession if you go the individual purchase instead of a trust purchase. Basically in the eyes of the ATF, if the can is in your vehicle in your range bag, then the vehicle occupant has access. As long as you are physically present, they can have access. Once you step out of sight, then the ATF says you have illegally transferred possession. A trust will allow you to add a temporary authorization for a specified time frame to specific items in said trust.

Comment

• HowaGrendel
                        Bloodstained
                        • Sep 2017

I have 2 Suppressors which both took about 9 months in 2010-2011 time frame, local class 3 dealer said 12+ months is the norm now.....I did my own ppwk for a SBR and it took 4 months in 2015.....I want a Hybrid Multi-caliber Setup bad, but the current wait has made me wait. I listened to the Congressman who introduced The Hearing Protection Act and he said do not wait hoping it passes anytime soon, he said go ahead and go the current route if you want a Suppressor, he said it could take as long as 2 years before Bill makes it to a vote, IF it made it that far....

Comment

• AZHTfreak
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by HowaGrendel View Post
                          I have 2 Suppressors which both took about 9 months in 2010-2011 time frame, local class 3 dealer said 12+ months is the norm now.....I did my own ppwk for a SBR and it took 4 months in 2015.....I want a Hybrid Multi-caliber Setup bad, but the current wait has made me wait. I listened to the Congressman who introduced The Hearing Protection Act and he said do not wait hoping it passes anytime soon, he said go ahead and go the current route if you want a Suppressor, he said it could take as long as 2 years before Bill makes it to a vote, IF it made it that far....
                          Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath for that bill, DC (R) & (D) posturing is nothing but kabuki theater for the unwashed masses. The "In-The-Club" elites think of us as nothing more than Useful Idiots to keep themselves in power... I'm sooooo very fortunate to have McCain & Flake for my senate representation!

Comment

Working...
                          X