Any input is welcome. Thanks

Grendel - resized.jpg
  • Dcommoncents
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Vol_fan View Post
    Any input is welcome. Thanks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10084[/ATTACH]
    Eww, it's hideous! I kid of course, that's a good looking rifle. I like your choices, other than the A2 stock as I personally find the length of pull too long and prefer adjustable stocks. Is that a ballistic advantage bead blasted barrel?

Comment

• Vol_fan
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2017

Thank you, yes it is a 20 inch Ballistic Advantage barrel.

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

Nice build. You can't beat the solidity of an A2 stock. I have two of them.
        I have a BA 18" barrel which I shot once and was impressed with it's precision.
        Here is mine.

IMG_20171012_224853 (Medium).jpg
        What kind of groups does yours shoot?

I posted my groups here.
        Pics coming, damn that was FAST shipping from Granit Ridge... Pics added, packed very secure... thumbs up to GRO for their excellent CS. These barrels look fantastic and I expect them to perform as good as the other SS BA barrels I have. These are going to make some nice looking builds. (https://imageshack
        Last edited by bj139; 11-07-2017, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• Vol_fan
          Unwashed
          • Nov 2017

Nice Rifle BJ, I've only been able to take mine to the range once. I just built it a few weeks ago. I was trying to set my zero, since deer season is coming up. So I have not really shot for groups yet. Need to find some plinking ammo, been shooting federal fusion just to test it out. Had trouble with C products mags but no trouble with e landers.

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

For deer I would use a 123g bullet, I guess Hornady SST since I have some.
            For plinking ammo, Wolf steel cased ammo is 25 cents a round.
            In PA , we are not yet allowed to use semiautos for deer.

Are you in TN? My wife just bought some land in Allardt. She wants to move and I could be persuaded.

Comment

• Vol_fan
              Unwashed
              • Nov 2017

BJ, Yes I am right in between Nashville and Chattanooga. TN is a great state. Good deer and turkey hunting. I think you would like it here, gets real humid in the summer though.

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

I think my wife's land is at higher elevation so I think it would be cooler.
                I also fully support southern rights. I was especially glad when I saw 86% of the registered voters inTN voted for Trump.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2017

20170529_231442(1).jpg

My 18" BA barrel, chambered in 223 wylde, is on the left in this group picture (I have some inexplicable affinity for diy multicam spray paint jobs). I don't think I have any pics, but it shoots excellent groups. The scope and ergo stock, which I really like for the solidity and consistent cheek weld it allows, subsequently ended upon my grendel.

Comment

• ty_hooper12
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

Awesome looking rifles all around

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

DC,
                      You are an artist with the paint cans. I hope to try that soon.
                      People say it is reversible. Is it?

That ergo stock looks very solid. I like it. SBR?

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                        DC,
                        You are an artist with the paint cans. I hope to try that soon.
                        People say it is reversible. Is it?

That ergo stock looks very solid. I like it. SBR?
                        Thanks, if you give it a go I would recommend cutting painter's tape stencils and a lot of patience. I've thought about trying duracoat, but the spray paint actually holds up really well. I painted the tavor something like 4-5 years ago and that m4 barrel even before that.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by reversible. Multicam does have a strange ability to blend in different environments that almost makes it seem like it is changing its appearance. Compare these pictures of the radically different appearance of the same multicam'd 65G rifle on the same day in two different locations just 20 feet apart.13853.jpeg

20171104_163516.jpg

Multicam (even diy spray) just works. The stock is an Ergo F93 Pro stock.https://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...r-15-synthetic None of those rifles are SBRs.

Comment

• Vol_fan
                          Unwashed
                          • Nov 2017

DC, Nice guns. Is that a Tavor I see there? If so how do you like it? I almost bought one instead of building the grendel. Pic of my BA 17.7 inch barrel in .223 Wylde build.

ballisticadvantagecrookedsmall.jpg
                          Last edited by Vol_fan; 11-08-2017, 09:34 PM.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Vol_fan View Post
                            DC, Nice guns. Is that a Tavor I see there? If so how do you like it? I almost bought one instead of building the grendel.
                            Why thank you. They look different now because I play with my ARs like barbie dolls, swapping and adding parts when I get bored with a particular configuration.

That is a tavor, specifically the og Tar-21 with a 16.5" barrel. I like it quite a bit, it's just such a handy rifle with a full-size barrel. It's my primary home defense weapon if I have time to get to something more than the nightstand 9mm. It would be my go-to bug out gun if it weren't for the scarcity of replacement parts relative to ARs. My dream is a tavor with a 20" + barrel chambered for 65G, but after much pondering I don't think that's realistically possible because the tavor bolt appears too small to be able to modified to accommodate the large cartridge base. IWI is releasing a .308 chambered tavor, so that will likely open some options like 6.5 creedmore. Downsides to the tavor are long length of pull (as I mentioned I prefer pretty short), somewhat heavy although well balanced, and a heavy trigger that is poor, but not as atrocious as some say. Battery of arms is of course different, but with training I think equally or at least nearly as efficient as an AR.

I don't know what other rifles you have, but if you have at least one 5.56/223 chambered carbine I would say you shouldn't regret getting the 65G before a tavor.

Comment

Working...
                            X